• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny poo and not eating/drinking

Only just seen this, i always read your threads as your bun is so similar to my Daisy :( what is your bun called??
I'm so sorry he's not doing so well :( and i totally understand about vet visits making them worse, i had the exact same problem the other week with Molly. The advice i was given was that if there is something (ie. Some food and water) going in, and something coming out, and if you have meds that they might need, to hold off on another vet trip and see if they improve over the course of the day. I was really glad i did, as Molly relaxed and started eating more.
Sending mega vibes for your bun, i hope he feels better tomorrow. Xxx

We call him Bunny or bunbun which is really embarrasing but my rabbits have all been called this:oops::oops:

He is still "not well". He is eating a bit of hay and dried leaves but not much and drinking a little. Getting some very very soft poos and small amount of wee. He is grooming himself but otherwise just hiding on his bed.:cry:

He has had all the meds including double strength painkiller.

I am waiting for the vet to ring me today when she arrives for work as I do not want to take him back given how badly he reacted yesterday. I think if I have to I will pay £65 for vet to visit here rather than put him through the stress again. He doesn't mind being handled and medicated here, its the carrier that freaks him out bigtime.

He has never ever been ill for this long before and I hope I am wrong but my gut instinct is that whatever has been causing his attacks over the years has suddenly got bad.

The vet said that if she can still feel the mass in his abdomen and he is unwell then I have two choices - big op to see what it is or pts:cry::cry::cry:

The vet can't come out till 4pm as she is operating, he is not in acute pain just uncomfortable knowing him as well as I do. He has drunk a bit more water . I have his bowls right in front of his bed as he won't venture off his bed.

I can't stop crying as I know in my heart of hearts it is time for him to go as he is now suffering and has been for 3 days even with all the meds - he is an old boy of nearly 9 and is the most spoilt houserabbit in the world.

The vet can't come out till 4pm as she is operating, he is not in acute pain just uncomfortable knowing him as well as I do. He has drunk a bit more water . I have his bowls right in front of his bed as he won't venture off his bed.

I can't stop crying as I know in my heart of hearts it is time for him to go as he is now suffering and has been for 3 days even with all the meds - he is an old boy of nearly 9 and is the most spoilt houserabbit in the world.

Oh no, I'm so sorry he's not improving this time :cry: i do hope it isn't 'time' and that the vet can help him. I'll be thinking of you xxx

I'm sorry he's not feeling much better :( he has improved a bit though, so that's something.

I would ask the vet to give him some vetergesic or another painkiller alongside the metacam. Vetergesic is powerful stuff and will make him drowsy but should get rid of the pain. May also be worth discussing whether she can show you how to give him some at home to prevent her coming out every day? I'm not sure if she would be willing to let you.

Will he not eat any recovery food or pellets? The pain will be partly caused by the slow gut, so speeding it up should help a bit, and eating more fibrous foods is the way to do this.

As you are considering pts instead of the invasive op (which I completely understand) I would discuss with the vet the alternatives. I wonder whether an X-ray or ultrasound would show the lump so they could make a diagnosis based on that. It could be done under sedation so he wouldn't be so stressed and wouldn't need anaesthetic.

He is a brighter, I think the painkiller has kicked in and he has eaten a little. So hard, I am bouncing between tears and doom and then hope. Will get the vet to check the mass in his abdomen and see if its got bigger smaller or gone and hope she says give him a few more days to see if he gets back to normal or not.

15 mins before vet arrived he suddenly perked up and rushed around and ate his cardboard box:roll:. Vet wanted to feel the lump in abdo and it was an awful lot smaller so must be partial impaction. He had passed his first non huge soft poo just before she arrived - lots of tiny little hard poos.

Vet gave him minute amount of liquid parafin to help move whats left and I have to give it which is fun! Of course this will give him runny poo which I will have to clear up but vet said I should see some odd hard poos and this will be the stuff coming out.

So its a case of see how often he gets this and how long it takes to clear up. She wants to see him in a few days to check its gone.

Glad he's feeling better, hope the impaction is passed soon :thumb: does he like to eat cardboard? Just wondering if that could have anything to do with it?

I might be wrong, but i thought that if there was an impaction that the bun should be given lots of fluids to hydrate it...:?
Glad he's perked up a bit!!! :) x

What does liquid parafin do?

If it's impaction he needs IV fluids and lots of encouragement to drink. A partial impaction is quite serious. Take away the cardboard and encourage him to eat hay. The cardboard will likely be the cause.

He doesn't normally eat the cardboard so this isn't the cause. He isn't drinking much which is a problem, don't know how to make him drink more without syringing it and thats a bit dangerous and every time we handle him he goes downhill again as he hates being handled. He is eating only hay anyway, not really interested in any other bunny food.

He's gone quiet again tonight and really does not like us after being handled at teatime for the vet, glares, foot flicks and showing us his bum if we look at him.

The liquid parafin ( medical grade) is supposed to lubricate the impaction to help it out.

He doesn't normally eat the cardboard so this isn't the cause. He isn't drinking much which is a problem, don't know how to make him drink more without syringing it and thats a bit dangerous and every time we handle him he goes downhill again as he hates being handled. He is eating only hay anyway, not really interested in any other bunny food.

He's gone quiet again tonight and really does not like us after being handled at teatime for the vet, glares, foot flicks and showing us his bum if we look at him.

The liquid parafin ( medical grade) is supposed to lubricate the impaction to help it out.

Unfortunately that is not always the best treatment. Unless it is preceded by aggressive fluid therapy all it may do is coat a dehydrated imapacted mass in oil, making it impossible to rehydrate the mass. A preferable choice would be aggressive fluids (SQ and Oral) alongside an osmotic laxative such as Lactulose. Lactulose works by drawing water into the bowel and rehydrating the impacted mass. This then enables the mass to be broken down and with appropriate prokinetics it should eventually pass through.

Is your Rabbit having Cisipride ? It could be more helpful than Metoclopramide and Ranitidine.

Back