• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rudy is no longer anaemic

Glad that Rudy is happy and in good spirits. It sounds like they are spoiling him. :love:

Will be keeping everything crossed for the best outcome possible. Thinking of you both. xx

Curiouser and curiouser :?

So, the 'mass' felt in his abdomen is no longer there to be palpated.

His kidneys look okay on x-ray, no stones etc, nothing about them of note.

Not really sure how his liver looks on x-ray, I can't remember that detail but FHB's belief is it's unlikely to be a tumour on his liver as they are very uncommon in rabbits, could be a cyst even a harmless one maybe.

He's not eating :cry: and there's the 0.5kg weight loss over about 12 weeks to consider. Bloods are being sent off for liver and kidney function and FHB's going to have a really good look at his teeth.

I'm confused to say the least! I'd got my self really stressed and had a headache ever since the news of the tumour and now I really don't know what to think... no idea if the overall prognosis is any better than it was before. There's definitely something not right though.:?

I really hope this means good news for Rudy. Its so hard when there doesn't seem to be an immediate cause. Very complicated creatures.

I really hope this means good news for Rudy. Its so hard when there doesn't seem to be an immediate cause. Very complicated creatures.

Thanks. Yeah, not sure if it is good news but it certainly doesn't seem to be as grim as the news at the weekend. I was so convinced that Tinks and I would be losing him this week.

Thanks. Yeah, not sure if it is good news but it certainly doesn't seem to be as grim as the news at the weekend. I was so convinced that Tinks and I would be losing him this week.

I does seem more positive, especially as the kidneys are fine and not likely to be a tumour on the liver, which could have been serious. I suppose the weight loss is a bit of a worry but if he hasn't eaten properly, that could explain it and as you said it could be something dental. Mr B has lost 200 grams in a week but when his teeth were fine put it back on quickly.

Sorry to hear that Rudy is now poorly, must be so worrying and frustrating waiting to find out what's wrong. Many vibes for him xxx

I does seem more positive, especially as the kidneys are fine and not likely to be a tumour on the liver, which could have been serious. I suppose the weight loss is a bit of a worry but if he hasn't eaten properly, that could explain it and as you said it could be something dental. Mr B has lost 200 grams in a week but when his teeth were fine put it back on quickly.

I find it hard to believe it is dental (although it fits as an explanation) as when I give them a big handful of hay both Tink and Rudy spend ages sat in the tray eating it. Whatever it is I feel I've messed up because I didn't notice the weight loss:cry::cry:

Well, I was really surprised to get the message yesterday that Rudy was well enough to come home. :D

I went to get him straight away and immedaitely on return Tink was grooming him. I had about 40 minutes at home before leaving from work and I'm really upset to say that just as I was gathering my bag etc to leave they were both charging around begging at me and a serious scuffle occurred :cry::cry: I got between them and they were still intent on 'getting' each other. :cry::cry: I really didn't like to leave them with that sort of tension, I wasn't able to not go to work so I felt I had no choice but to separate them again :cry::cry: I was already running as late as I could be so the best solution was to 'evict' Binky to the spare hutch and put Rudy in Binky's pen, I didn't even have chance to clean it out :cry: So Tink and Rudy can at least see each other. I was supposed to get Rudy's blood results yesterday which was going to impact on my decision as to what to do next. I still haven't got the blood results so we are at stalemate. I'm working 7 days a week at the moment so they either go back together smoothly or will just have to stay apart. I have no time off now until October. I don't want to put them back together at the moment if Rudy's unwell, so we will have to see what the results say. He isn't eating particularly well but is bright in himself. He is begging for treats but hasn't eaten all his pellets.

Edit to add: I've just had a brief message re his blood results. (FHB's not working today but has reviewed the results and sent a message). There are 'some changes... nothing too (can't remember word but "drastic"/"alarming", whatever!) I've to ring again tomorrow to discuss. I supposed at 6.5 years "changes" might be expected (?) but he's ill, I just know he's not 'in recovery' but unwell. It will be very sad if he and Tink can't get back together :cry::cry:

Last edited:
It sounds as though any changes in his blood test results are not of too much concern to FHB at the moment. I am sorry that Rudy and Tinks have scuffled and I would have done as you have and not risked leaving them together unsupervised. Maybe they will now be good neighbours as opposed to a bonded pair. In some situations this can actually be the most appropriate thing.

It sounds as though any changes in his blood test results are not of too much concern to FHB at the moment. I am sorry that Rudy and Tinks have scuffled and I would have done as you have and not risked leaving them together unsupervised. Maybe they will now be good neighbours as opposed to a bonded pair. In some situations this can actually be the most appropriate thing.

Thanks, that's really reassuring. I felt awful separating them but the tension was just awful, it's hard to see it when they have been so happy together for 5 years :cry:

Thanks, that's really reassuring. I felt awful separating them but the tension was just awful, it's hard to see it when they have been so happy together for 5 years :cry:

As much as we would like the 'well' Rabbit in a bonded pair to be supportive of the 'unwell' Rabbit, it sometimes does not work out that way. The 'well' Rabbit can become a bully to the 'unwell' one due to sensing that there is something 'different' about them, something to maybe be fearful of. Then attack becomes the first line of defence. Or if the 'unwell' Rabbit had previously been the boss the 'well' Rabbit can see a chance to reverse the heirarchy. I have seen both happen a few times. Either that or the 'well' Rabbit suddenly starts endlessly humping the frail 'unwell' one, causing them stress and exacerbating their problems. So there really are some circumstances when separating a bonded pair is most definitely the right thing to do xx

As much as we would like the 'well' Rabbit in a bonded pair to be supportive of the 'unwell' Rabbit, it sometimes does not work out that way. The 'well' Rabbit can become a bully to the 'unwell' one due to sensing that there is something 'different' about them, something to maybe be fearful of. Then attack becomes the first line of defence. Or if the 'unwell' Rabbit had previously been the boss the 'well' Rabbit can see a chance to reverse the heirarchy. I have seen both happen a few times. Either that or the 'well' Rabbit suddenly starts endlessly humping the frail 'unwell' one, causing them stress and exacerbating their problems. So there really are some circumstances when separating a bonded pair is most definitely the right thing to do xx

:( The very sad thing is before he became unwell on Sunday I've been very aware of just how much time they had spent grooming each other in the past few months, they seemed much closer than they had in previous years. I know the above scenario about unwell rabbits but I was still hopeful given how close they seemed. I was really careful a year ago when I moved Dinky into the same room, and then Binky 6 months ago that I didn't want to risk Tink and Rudy's bond and I was so happy that they were contented and snuggly with other rabbits in the vicinity. I don't know if the presence of the others has had any impact with the current situation, I hope not.:(

On the up side, I didn't want Binky outside now that he's been a house rabbit so I had to bite the bullet and move him into Esme's room (I've not been able to face doing so since losing Artie, I felt it was right to move someone else in there but I've struggled with it, so Esme's been alone bar my company) Anyhows, I moved Binky into the far half of the room last night and he and Esme were pretty amicable after her first 5 minutes of freaking out.

Good that Rudy is back home. Sorry to hear about the scuffle. If you are working 7 days :shock: until October and as Jane said, best keeping them apart for now.

When Mr B was unwell Cutie-pie turned on him which frightened him so they were seperated, athough he already had a history of failed bonds so kept him single.

Hope everything is settled by October and Rudy is back to normal.

Good that Rudy is back home. Sorry to hear about the scuffle. If you are working 7 days :shock: until October and as Jane said, best keeping them apart for now.

When Mr B was unwell Cutie-pie turned on him which frightened him so they were seperated, athough he already had a history of failed bonds so kept him single.

Hope everything is settled by October and Rudy is back to normal.

Thanks. I'm just desperate to know what the blood results are now. I'm thinking more likely to be liver as the x-ray gave good account of his kidneys (apparently his bones looked normal too, I've learnt from my experience with Artie's kidney failure that his bones would have looked dense from too much calcium if he was in the later stages of kidney failure).

As for the 7 days a week until October, I've managed 5 weeks of it but the next 4 will be a bit of a struggle!

Thanks. I'm just desperate to know what the blood results are now. I'm thinking more likely to be liver as the x-ray gave good account of his kidneys (apparently his bones looked normal too, I've learnt from my experience with Artie's kidney failure that his bones would have looked dense from too much calcium if he was in the later stages of kidney failure).

As for the 7 days a week until October, I've managed 5 weeks of it but the next 4 will be a bit of a struggle!

If you are really worried could you phone them back and ask again. I am sure they won't mind and it may put your mind at rest.

Gosh a pat on the back for working so hard.

If you are really worried could you phone them back and ask again. I am sure they won't mind and it may put your mind at rest.

Gosh a pat on the back for working so hard.

I'm not really worried as such, I'm just someone who 'needs' to know now that the information is available. It's not going to make any difference to anything now as I'm pretty sure T&R won't be tried together until perhaps the weekend (I'm working at home then).

Re the working hard - I've only been doing 4 - 4.5 days most of this year as didn't have enough work so I'm kind of on catch up, I only need an extra 1 day a week but ended up having to do 2 extra because life's like that. Thank goodness I got the bunnies insured though, this month has cost about £700 :shock:

I'm not really worried as such, I'm just someone who 'needs' to know now that the information is available. It's not going to make any difference to anything now as I'm pretty sure T&R won't be tried together until perhaps the weekend (I'm working at home then).

Re the working hard - I've only been doing 4 - 4.5 days most of this year as didn't have enough work so I'm kind of on catch up, I only need an extra 1 day a week but ended up having to do 2 extra because life's like that. Thank goodness I got the bunnies insured though, this month has cost about £700 :shock:

Thank goodness they are insured. Mr B's dental insurance has run out until December. However since we pay out nearly £90 something in excess, we only get about £30.00 back. Pets at Home have added another 10 percent on the total bill excess. :roll:

At least you are home on the weekends. Hopefully you can relax more in October.

Thank goodness they are insured. Mr B's dental insurance has run out until December. However since we pay out nearly £90 something in excess, we only get about £30.00 back. Pets at Home have added another 10 percent on the total bill excess. :roll:

At least you are home on the weekends. Hopefully you can relax more in October.

Ah, Pets at Home. I knew I was praising insurance too quickly! I've just had an email from P@H requiring Eloise's 'full clinical history':roll: It's the second claim for stasis for Eloise this year - they paid the first one, albiet with a different vet practice but they have the history *curses*

I knew I was praising insurance too quickly! I've just had an email from P@H requiring Eloise's 'full clinical history':roll: It's the second claim for stasis for Eloise this year - they paid the first one, albiet with a different vet practice but they have the history *curses*

They are so incompetant. I had an email two days ago about a claim for Mr Bennett, except I hadn't put in a claim. :shock: Everything as fair as I am aware had been claimed for. I never made one two weeks ago. Then the following day I had another email saying it was closed and they were not paying as we had already used up the dental insurance. :roll: I am sure they must have found an old claim but you would think they would match up it had been paid.

They always seem to be chasing the full history.

The blood results.

Urea much higher than it should be, proteins much lower than they should be (could be other way round as it was a long conversation!)

Basically these results oppose each other for what you would expect to find in most conditions, you would expect either both to be high or low:? He's also very anaemic :cry: He could be bleeding somewhere internally, he might not be producing enough red blood cells.

We could send him for a CT scan but that probably won't give any more answers and even if it does might not gave a cure/treatment options. Basically he *might* have something wrong with his kidneys, could still be a liver problem, gastric ulcer .... not enough evidence to pin anything down specifically.

FHB wants to talk to the lab again as they might be able to interpret the results as she thinks there might be a possibility he's developed an allergy (forgot what she said to but could be his own red blood cells:shock:). It was a long shot but she wants to discuss it with the lab.

The current plan is to monitor him closely especially for any bleeding, to feed him up and keep him calm. He's definitely going to have to stay separate from Tink as I really can't risk stressing him when I don't know how serious it is (to me it sounds serious, but then it always does!). I think I will spilt Tink and Rudy's pen so that they can be really close, if they want to be.

Last edited:
Back