• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rudy is no longer anaemic

Sounds like it may be Dental

Hope all goes well at the Vets xx

If only :cry::cry::cry:

Very quickly on examination the vet could feel a large lump in Rudy's abdomen and will be x-raying him for a better idea of what we are dealing with. Rudy has lost 0.5kg from his normal weight ie 1/6 of his body weight. I'm really not getting a good feeling about this. :cry::cry: For the first time ever I was teary in a consultation, I was just so completely shocked by the news. There's been absolutely nothing to suggest that there was anything wrong with him - he and Tink have been such a happy little pair, pushing each other out of the way to beg etc, totally normal and happy. I did reassure her that I'd bring him back when I took him away - God I hope I can keep my word :cry::cry::cry:

I'm so sorry - I hope the X-ray can give some clarity, and that it is something treatable.

Ultrasound suggests it's a liver tumour so almost certainly inoperable:cry::cry:

The plan is to keep him comfortable and Frances will be reviewing him on Tuesday, making plans for where we go with what she sees.

I'm making my best guess here that it will be a case of taking a look inside his abdomen on Wednesday but that's just me trying to know what can't be known yet.

Why? Just why? Tink and Rudy are so happy, why can't they just be left to get on with being happy????:cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
*If* it looks like he is likely to go for surgery - what would you guys with more experience of very closely bonded pairs do? I'm wondering if I should ask to take Tink to be with him on Tuesday, though if he's as quiet as he was this morning I suspect that would be more for Tinks' sake than his. I suppose I just have to wait for news of how he's doing while he's there. There was absolutely no clue to this during yesterday :cry::cry:

Edit to add: I'm guessing the tumour has grown very quickly because he was vaccinated by FHB in early June so it's only about 10 weeks since she saw him, she always palpates the abdomen so if there had been anything suspicious then or if he was underweight it would have been spotted. He's always consistently been 2.8kg though I have never weighed him... I don't suppose the outcome would by any different if I did.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any positive accounts to offer re liver tumours?

I'm just assuming that there is practically no chance of treating this and pretty much believing that he won't be coming home... It's breaking my heart seeing Tink on her own. Just a tiny gimmer of hope would be so good just now. It's hard to accept that 24 hours ago I was oblivious to there being anything wrong and now the prognosis seems so poor :cry::cry:

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear about Rudy. Sorry I have no experience but really hope that Rudy will be alright.

Hugs to you and millions of vibes for Rudy. xxx

I am so sorry to read this news about Rudy. :(

I don't have any experience of this so can't offer any advice or reassurance, but I am sending loads of vibes for your little lad. xxx

Thinking of you. xx

I don't have any experience either, but for what little good does I'm thinking of you.

I really don't know what I'd do about Tinks either - how does she seem without him? I'm wondering whether it would be more stressful for her at this point since he's already there, but I think it would depend (for me) on whether she's obviously pining for him.

thanks everybody, your kind words mean a lot :love::love:

I don't have any experience either, but for what little good does I'm thinking of you.

I really don't know what I'd do about Tinks either - how does she seem without him? I'm wondering whether it would be more stressful for her at this point since he's already there, but I think it would depend (for me) on whether she's obviously pining for him.

Tinks is quite difficult to read as she isn't greatly trusting of humans because of her early life. She is eating well and begging, even allowed me to stroke her. To be honest I think she would be quite disruptive there if she was co-oped up, just Rudy is such a stresser he hates it at the vets, though maybe he's fairly doped up this time. I just can't bear the thought of them never being together again - I didn't for one second envisage that when I bundled him into the carrier this morning. :( I think really because Binky was at the vets with his brother/companion when he passed away it just seems like she should be there. Maybe I should stop assuming and see if there is some hope left yet.

thanks everybody, your kind words mean a lot :love::love:

Tinks is quite difficult to read as she isn't greatly trusting of humans because of her early life. She is eating well and begging, even allowed me to stroke her. To be honest I think she would be quite disruptive there if she was co-oped up, just Rudy is such a stresser he hates it at the vets, though maybe he's fairly doped up this time. I just can't bear the thought of them never being together again - I didn't for one second envisage that when I bundled him into the carrier this morning. :( I think really because Binky was at the vets with his brother/companion when he passed away it just seems like she should be there. Maybe I should stop assuming and see if there is some hope left yet.[/QUOTE]

Definitely! But it's natural to fear the worst :(
I really feel for you - it's so awful how quickly these things happen.

Maybe see how Tinks is doing by Tuesday x

I am really sorry to hear the latest update about Rudy :cry: I hope that there may be a chance that it is not as bad as you fear xx

Thanks again for the good wishes.

The message this morning is that Rudy is in good spirits, he's eaten grass and dandelions and had a bit of a hop about. He's been enjoying cuddles :love::love: I wanted to weep at the news because I was just envisaging him all lonely and scared (he does 'scared' when he's at the vets). When he's had stasis episodes he wouldn't be expected to eat much at this stage so today's news is really positive for me. Maybe it's not quite as grim as I believed... it may well be inoperable and life limiting but just maybe it's not actually all over yet.

Back