• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rosie and Bentley (very poorly) - the one-eyed conti babies from Kirkby Pet Welfare

I've spoken to my vet and we've agreed that Bentley will stay in hospital one more night. He is doing so well that I'm scared of bringing him home too soon and upsetting his progress.

The bloating has reduced even further. He's passed quite a large amount of yukky poo, but my vet isn't worried and said that it's not unexpected given how poorly he has been. He's eating quite well now.

They said he's now bouncing around and being quite naughty, especially at medicine time. He is going to be such a rascal when he's fully fit, Kay is going to need an extra pair of hands and eyes in the back of her head with this one. :love:

Bless him :love: Lovely to hear Bentley is making steady progress!

Bentley is now home. :D

He is looking much better, but he's still got a long way to go. Still no normal poos yet, but he's doing the soft ones so at least it is continuing to come through.

His tummy is loads better and feels much softer. There is still some gas in there as he still swollen, but nowhere near as bad as he was.

I've just settled him down in his cage and left him nibbling a dandelion leaf.

He's still on all his medication which we'll continue with tonight and tomorrow morning. He's back at the vets tomorrow morning for a check-up.

I can't imagine I'll get much sleep tonight as I'll be watching him like a hawk. :)

Sorry I've not had time to update, but I've been too busy with this little lad so not been able to get on RU much.

Bentley is doing really well. The gas in his stomach has dispersed and his tummy feels normal again. His appetite is returning and his poos are looking almost normal now.

We are now in the process of weaning him off the medication. He came off vetergesic last Friday and has been fine without it. We stopped the cisapride and windeze on Monday. He has to remain on metaclopramide until Thursday and zantac until next Monday. He seems fine now, but I'm still nervous about whether he will be able to hold his own once we stop the medication completely. If he starts to slip back again, then he'll go back on the medication for a little while longer.

He did his first binky last night :love: and had a mad few minutes racing around the room. He is very mischievious and into everything. :love:

He had his stitches out from the eye removal op at the weekend. This has all healed really well. It doesn't look very pretty, but it will be fine once the fur has regrown.

This has been such an emotional time for us. Losing Rosie was devastating after we had tried so very hard to make her better. With Bentley I have driven to the vets so many times in tears as I was convinced that it would be his last trip, but each time with the help of my vet Bentley has battled through. I tried so hard not to become attached to Bentley as I knew he would be moving on, but because of the level of care that he has needed and the amount of time we have had to spend with him it has been impossible not to form a bond with him. Bentley hasn't helped matters...every time I lie next to him he snuggles up to me and licks my face and whenever I pick him up for a cuddle he licks my face. I've never had a licky bunny before. :love: After everything that has happened, we just can't part with Bentley, so he is going to stay here with us. :)

I am so very grateful to Kay and Denise for their support and for being there at the end of the phone, it really did make such a difference.

I have a few pics of him which I will try and put on later.

Back