• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re an urgent appeal.Rehoming update!

Sound very positive Victoria.I really hope Bruce and Madelines new owners decide to join us on the forum so we can see an update and help them if they have any questions.
Wil post properly abit later.have to pick up OH from work:)

Just wanted to drop in and say welcome to the forum. :wave: Sorry for my suspicions but I have been told many lies in the past by people who seem to genuinely be in trouble and need to desperately rehome their animals when in fact they just don't want them anymore, have bred them and realised how much work is involved/realised they can't sell the babies or hoard animals and "rehome" them to make room for more. :(
I didn't mean for people to not want to help but just to be careful of the reason behind the rehoming as it could have ended up being a RSPCA case and getting rather messy!

I am very sorry to hear of your awful situation. I do wish I could do something for you. The only thing I can offer (although it looks like you are pretty sorted!) is a rabbit run. I am going to Hull on Friday for a concert and could possibly offer to take a bun or two back with me (if they could get to Hull..I know it's not exactly near to Manchester) if somebody is willing to rehome them. I am from Middlesbrough and I know it's a long shot, but if anybody does offer them a home and somebody could get them to Hull...I'll be there. :wave::lol:

Louise200 and Redhelen you are stars!Can we have updates and if possible piccies when you have your new fur babies?!

So we are down to a possible 2 for the Oxfordshire rescue.Thats really great-what a response!RU is an amazing forum.So many kind,helpful people.:D

Just wanted to drop in and say welcome to the forum. :wave: Sorry for my suspicions but I have been told many lies in the past by people who seem to genuinely be in trouble and need to desperately rehome their animals when in fact they just don't want them anymore, have bred them and realised how much work is involved/realised they can't sell the babies or hoard animals and "rehome" them to make room for more. :(
I didn't mean for people to not want to help but just to be careful of the reason behind the rehoming as it could have ended up being a RSPCA case and getting rather messy!

I am very sorry to hear of your awful situation. I do wish I could do something for you. The only thing I can offer (although it looks like you are pretty sorted!) is a rabbit run. I am going to Hull on Friday for a concert and could possibly offer to take a bun or two back with me (if they could get to Hull..I know it's not exactly near to Manchester) if somebody is willing to rehome them. I am from Middlesbrough and I know it's a long shot, but if anybody does offer them a home and somebody could get them to Hull...I'll be there. :wave::lol:

That's a great offer Vegan Bunny.I can understand what you mean tho-so many not genuine but there was something about Victorias appeal that just stood out:)

Vegan Bunny I love your video on bonding :D You seem so lovely ... reminded me of my dad using gloves before he was ever used to handling rabbits..prior to Dave the bunny my parents have now..he had only ever had a tortoise when he was a kid and when I went round to show him how to clean the hutch and get him used to the bun, he appeared out the garade with these almighty industrial gloves on like in preparation hahaha! Thankfully he can handle him without gloves now lol but it was so funny watching my dad prepare the same way he would for some DIY! ;D

Hoppertylop made a good suggestion to detail a little more about the two remaining buns :

Thumper is about 5 years old now and still going strong. The first bunny I had as my ex bought her from pets at home rehoming/adoption thing. She did have her vaccinations at the time but I have no record of it on paper anymore hence why I have not listed her as vaccinated. She is very independent and equally as loving. White albino and quite vocal depending on her mood. She likes to play hard to get sometimes as is her sense of humour so when you go to pick her up out of her hutch she often pretends like she doesnt want to come out but if you turn away will nudge you or come back..convinced over the years she is playing the longest game of hide and seek with herself :D Very easy to handle and loves digging when she gets the chance. Never happier than when she is full of mud or soil really just a born inquisitive explorer. Because of how the hutches are lined up..it is a very sociable atmosphere for them so whilst not bonded and in a hutch with anyone, whichever rabbit is left to roam free in the secure garden, they will go to each hutch and have a sniff and I like to think a catch up because I am sad like that haha. Thumper also loves the snow. One year when it was particularly heavy I tried to bring her inside for fear she would be too cold. She was having none of it. I got a big scratch on my arm when she was trying to get out of the house ( I hadn't anticpated it would be too hot for her) so she caught me as they can do by mistake and to my amazement outside all she wanted to do was run around in the snow lol...because she is white and the snow hadnt been walked on it looked hilarious as all you could see were her cute red eyes when she lay down. I love her and her strange ways so much she makes me laugh and i am reminded of that day whenever it snows! Forget snowman and the snowdog, just give me Thumper :D

In an ideal world if Thumper were to be bonded with morris that would be the nicest outcome but it means neutering and so on (I am going to contribute to oxfordshire doing this if they end up there) but they already know each other well so whilst it is not necessary, i thought I would just say so. On the rabbit rehome section I posted some photos of the hutches. Morris' hutch was hand built with some heavy duty wood which I painted with fence paint to make it last longer. It is impossibly heavy but if someone were to take him they are most welcome to this hutch. It is great in reality, just not practical for moving and would need two strong men ( not sexist lol) I can bench press 60kg, run 10 miles and do a lot of yoga and i have trouble moving it! :D Because of the front section of his hutch being hand built..on the left side there is one door covering the top and bottom layers and sometimes he climbs up like a cat to get into bed...never caught him on camera but definitely likes an obstacle course. The hutch was built by hand by the man I got him off who was a taxi driver who's wife was ill and so it made sense of the neglect on the two bunnies he had kept in an outhouse. He meant well, he had taken 3 rabbits off a girl who used to live on the same street (not sure how long he had had them) and he had genuinely thought the outhouse was a better option because it was bigger and he had put some things in like wood to make it like a big area to play in but it was in reality damp and they were in the pitch black most of the time.

He put lots of hay in once a week and a carrot and thought that was enough. In my mind he should have been retired and there was too much required of him to look after his wife to also look after the rabbits. He had a female indoors ( at least he didnt get her pregnant ) and the two boys were outside but what he hadn't realised was that they were fighting and not bonded at all. Morris was more dominant than chicken foot ( I know that is an awful name but I said it outloud when I saw his legs were like half eaten KFC and the poor thing hobbled over and literally accepted a new name due to more attention that he had known before so it stuck) Morris was less worse for wear and to be honest when you see him now you wouldn't know he spent most of his life fighting to the death to get food on a daily basis. He is a contented thing and i believe after a good 3 years with me that he understands now that he will never have to do that again which makes me happy. Chicken foot passed away not long after ( about 3 months ) but his health improved before then and fur grew back etc on his legs, appetite changed and so on but just passed in his sleep one night. He went from barely walking to jumping all over the place :D :D Morris is very good with guinea pigs. He took a liking to one a while back that was rescued but is no longer with us and I understand that rabbits and guineas are not a great pairing usually but in a run together it worked great. I always kept an eye on them nonethless but it was lovely to see them together. I believe Morris would make a great bun to be paired with another rabbit as he is very loving and playful but given the experience he had with his ex roomate in the outhouse a female neutered bun might be the best attempt.

Might need to edit this later as have gone into waffling mode :D no longer sure what is relevant and if I have mentioned relevant things

Hi Victoria.Thats great thankyou.No don't edit!!I think its lovely you can explain about them in detail and help people understand their natures and little ways.Poor Chickenfoot Sounds like he had an awful life before he came to you and im glad he was able to experience love and care and just be a bunny doing bunny stuff before he went to the bridge.Morris must be so much happier now he can relax and not live in fear.Its interesting that he and Thumper seem to like each other.I agree that a gentle female would be lovely for him to bond with and experience a loving bunny relationship.
Thumper sounds great fun and a real little character but loving when the mood takes her:love:

Sorry for the delay in responding to your pm, but I've been in hospital.
Roger is/was my 'bunny of my lifetime' and I like to use his name whenever I can :love:

Funnily enough, Sweetie would actually be the best of your buns for me, because I don't have any outdoor buns, they all (5), live indoors over 3 very spacious rooms.

Scooter is an incredibly adorable, splay leg bunny adopted from the RSPCA. In time after neutering, Sweetie could possibly be bonded with him. Scooter lives in the lounge because of being my only single bun so that he has lots of fuss and company. My plan will be to have Sweetie in an xxl dog crate, also in the lounge, but she will get to free range the whole house when she seems settled enough. Unti then Sweetie and Scooter can take it in turns to come out.

Lots of people on RU are familiar with Violet, my pocket size blind lionhead, also adopted from the RSPCA. Violet and Plutarch Heavensbee (daughter is a massive Hunger Games fan) who is a giant crossbreed and my only non 'special needs' bun, decided to bond themselves, which is quite comical, as Violet weighs about 3lbs and Plutarch weighs 14lbs!!, but he is incredibly gentle with her, and they are totally devoted to each other. Violet even jumps up on to things now and down again. Plutarch goes first and waits for her, and Violet takes Plutarch's lead, and seems to understand that it is safe and ok for her to jump because Plutarch does. Violet and Plutarch have their own big room, but also free range for a number of hours every day.

Dipsy is 'special needs' with neurological problems and was adopted from Southampton Rabbit Rescue after I lost Roger. I don't know if anyone remembers Demi and the adorable Thriantha? Baby, who was found to have multiple cancerous tumours. Well, they were all removed and a kidney had to be removed as well, but she has made a full recovery and came to me last year because Demi was going to uni, and was worried about her being properly looked after by her grandmother. Also, Baby would have lived outdoors by herself so not ideal, but following the incredibly tragic, sad loss of Bodger who was bonded with Dipsy, when Baby moved in, her and Dipsy really hit it of, and within 2 days were just like an old married couple, and they are so lovely to watch. They have their own room, and they free range all night, which is what we used to do with Bodger because of his traumatic past and extreme fear and nerves. At night though when the house was quiet, Bodger would binky and play, and him and Dipsy got up to no end of mischief, but he just needed quiet to feel safe and confident enough to come out and play at night. It works well though having Dipsy and Baby free ranging all night, as the others get lots of free range time each day.

So that's just a bit about Sweetie's soon to be new family and set up, which I hope you think sounds ok. Because all my buns are vaccinated and insured, Sweetie will be health checked and vaccinated within 24hrs, and then when she is settled in she will be neutered. I will probably give her a month before neutering, and she will be added to the insurance policy when I get her.

Last edited:
Baby is just great and absolutely loves living indoors. Demi is only in Nottingham and can visit when she wants. I post her pics and updates a couple of times a week on fb. She might take Baby and Dipsy home for a week in the summer hols. I know how hard it was for her to rehome Baby, but she would have been desperately sad just in a hutch by herself.

Demi is amazed and thrilled at how Baby is no longer timid and shy. She's really confident and cheeky and such a joy to have about. Demi is surprised as well because she didn't have toys before living outside, but she enjoys seeing and hearing about all the things that she couldn't really know before. Baby loves toys she can throw and chew the best, and she loves the sand pit, which was a joint present for them all at christmas. She always jumps in there first for a good dig, and then literally throws herself down in DBF's.

She loves having a friend now so much, and when her and Dipsy settle to sleep in their castle in the mornings after being out all night, she always lays across Dipsy to sleep. I keep trying to get some pics, but because they go in the castle, it makes the pics to dark.

Demi said she would always do her lovely thick beds in her hutch, and she would always dig the straw out and sleep on the bare floor. Her and Dipsy had a fleecy covered memory foam mattress for christmas, and Baby loves that as well right by the radiator with it on warm.

I don't think she'd cope outdoors now. I'm so glad you remember her. Isn't it funny how outdoor buns change when moved indoors. I will get some pics up of them soon.

Last edited:
Yay! You sound lovely Rogerrabbit999 :D Thanks for all the info its always nice to read. Madeline was rehomed yesterday and I think the Dad of the family wanted to take the other bunnies with him haha! I have asked them to chase up the friend who is interested in a bunny (who i suggested Bruce for) and going to make arrangements for sweetie with Rogerrabbit999 x

Thanks Hoppertylop :D

Quick Update:
going to phone the family who have madeline tomorrow and chase up their friend regarding Bruce.
A friend of mine has shown an interest in Morris but its very slim she may take him so have stressed that she kinda has till Saturday :D
Someone I know who works for the NHS has posted something on their internal net pages so thats also promising even if its a bit late.

When I said I liked Vegan Bunnys video about bonding I just realised it was Mischief and Thumpers mum that I was watching hahaha my poor brain hurts..I sold a bed on ebay and when the man phoned to collect I started talking about Morris and Thumper lol! He was like what are you on about. Luckily he understood and didn't do anything other than laugh :D

Louise who is having Smudge will be updating you hoppertylop x

Oxford will be one of the following scenarios: Thumper alone OR Thumper and Morris OR Thumper , Morris and Bruce (hopefully they will all be homed before Saturday it would be amazing :D)

Many thanks to you all for your help, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now x

:D

Latest update:

Nice lady got in touch about Morris but not quite the right circumstances for her as she wants to rehome him with a female who is spayed but because morris isnt its not a great idea from what she was saying. She was thinking about asking the rspca to take him to which I told her about Oxfordshire and the lack of time I have in my situation. It sounds like a good fit just terrible timing...I did suggest perhaps if she felt drawn to morris for her bun then once he went to oxford and was ready to be rehomed then she could pursue that and i would try to help as she is in North Yorkshire. From what she was saying they have a lovely garden and set up for her lop called Patch :D But Lop's partner Sandy died at the beginning of Jan :( and shes looking for a new buddy and generally great vibes from her so i am trying to find out if she is on the forum or not as it might be that if not Morris there is someone perfect for her bun :D I am sure there are enough people to help.

So, Oxfordshire is 3 bunnies likely..Bruce, Thumper and Morris, but tomorrow is another day. family for bruce have changed their mind which is fair enough just glad i know now so have some notice for when they go and letting other people know how many etc

Also got a picture of Madeline settling into the new place which is actually 10 mins walk from where my parents live..nice family and nice children..apparantly their cat is super protective of Madeline and just sits by the hutch for a while making sure nobody gets her lol

How can I add a photo via the url thing..should i just do it via a sharing website like photobucket> any help woul dbe great

Sounds like it would have been a nice home for Morris-that's a pity.She can always change her mind once hes neutered.Never mind the rescue lady here will ensure he and the other two have a nice home.I will see her tomorrow so will let her know the latest and confirm Saturday is definitely the best day for her.

In the meantime though Bruce,Thumper and Morris are still looking for their forever homes.

Last edited:
Hi Victoria, re photos, I have a www.tinypic.com account and after uploading a photo it gives you the code to copy and paste into a forum chat, which will display the picture. You can choose the pic size when importing as well ��
See you Saturday �� xx

Back