• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent vets apt tomorrow

Bun2

New Kit
Hi, I have an almost 2 year old, mini rex, female rabbit who has sudden extreme weight loss. Her bones are protruding, hips & spine you can see clearly. I'm really worried so have got an emergency vet appointment for tomorrow. Her back legs look like muscle wastage? I'm not sure but they go inwards where muscle should be. This has happened quickly over a couple of weeks or so, it's been hectic over Christmas so not sure I noticed when exactly it started.

Strange thing us, in every other way she seems Fine. Bright eyes, clean nose, fairly active as usual. Good appetite, which I check she's truly eating not just trying to chew & unable to eat due to a possible problem with her teeth, plus she's on the young side for it to be dental related. She's eating Timothy hay, fresh grass, vegetables & good quality pellets every day. Over the past week I have added daily oats after advice they can help increase weight, but no change so far & she is definitely eating them. Eats less pellets lately that's all.

I bought Panacur worming treatment & gave it for 9 days in case she has worms, EC, although she has no sign of them in her droppings, no diarrhea or dirty back end.

So if its not dental or parasite related, what else could it be? I've read possibly kidney disease or cancer? Then what?

She has no lumps on her but is drinking more water. Will the vet take a fecal sample & blood test? Any thoughts please? I'm nervous for the vets as don't want her to be stressed out & she doesn't like being picked up only stroked. Plus the vets don't seem as knowledgeable with rabbits compared to dogs & cats. So I'm wary of giving any medication if they prescribe anything as she's fine in herself it's just her weight which needs investigating not medication until they know the cause surely.

Unexplained weight loss can have various possible causes, renal problems being one of them. A full blood profile will be needed including PCR testing for EC.

Unspayed Does are at a very high risk of developing uterine adenocarcinoma. Although 2 is young, the condition usually presents in Does aged 5+, it is not impossible for it it occur in a 2 year old Doe.

If you are in the UK and not happy that your current Vet is ‘Rabbit Savvy’ the RWAF have a list of Rabbit Savvy Vets

Have you weighed her? It would have been useful to know how much weight she has lost and over what period. I would weigh her now, so that you have a record.

If she has lost a lot of weight over a short period of time, whilst still eating a normal amount of food, then the vet will probably want to do blood tests as well as examining her, including her teeth. It seems that the only other symptom that she has apart from the weight loss is that she is eating less pellets, which is an indication of dental issues. The vet may want to xray her. I agree it is better to establish the cause of the weight loss before treating with medication and you can obviously discuss this with the vet.

Is there a reason why you have not had her spayed? Unspayed does are at risk from uterine carcinoma and so, once her current issues have been sorted out, I would consider having this done for her.

Thank you, I will post back tomorrow once seen the vet. Yes in the UK.
I hope she will be ok to let the vet check her teeth. No major decrease in appetite though. No idea how they do a rabbit blood test, can she be awake for that?
Yes I was looking at uterine type cancer as she's not spayed but she's only 20 months old so less likely but not impossible. Haven't noticed any blood with her urine but she pees on mud/grass so it's hard to see.
If it's cancer, I can't see her surviving anaesthesia to have it removed with surgery/spaying & doubt the vet would want to either as under weight. From reading it says if that's the cause, weight loss happens during later stages so it could be too late, so trying to prepare myself for the worst. If the vet can feel a lump under her that may somewhat confirm it.
Could they want to keep her in?

I didn't weigh her until she lost weight so have a late starting point from last week of 1.2kg.

Yes, the vet should be able to take a blood sample while she is awake. I can see no reason why they would want to keep her in, as she is not needing constant treatment.

Have you looked at her recent poo? If she is still eating a good amount of hay, they should be crumbly and brownish, rather than hard, small and black.

Sending her lots of vibes for tomorrow's vet visit and yes, please, do let us know how she gets on.

Thank you, I will post back tomorrow once seen the vet. Yes in the UK.
I hope she will be ok to let the vet check her teeth. No major decrease in appetite though. No idea how they do a rabbit blood test, can she be awake for that?
Yes I was looking at uterine type cancer as she's not spayed but she's only 20 months old so less likely but not impossible. Haven't noticed any blood with her urine but she pees on mud/grass so it's hard to see.
If it's cancer, I can't see her surviving anaesthesia to have it removed with surgery/spaying & doubt the vet would want to either as under weight. From reading it says if that's the cause, weight loss happens during later stages so it could be too late, so trying to prepare myself for the worst. If the vet can feel a lump under her that may somewhat confirm it.
Could they want to keep her in?

I didn't weigh her until she lost weight so have a late starting point from last week of 1.2kg.

She would not need sedation for a blood test unless she is an exceptionally stressed Rabbit.

Sending your bunny lots of vibes.
She may not be consuming enough calories if she is not eating pellets yet still consumes the same amount of other foods.
Is she outside or in an unheated area where she may be using a lot of her energy to keep warm? If she has renal issues managing her body temp can be difficult too. If she is an outside bunny or in an unheated area I would bring her inside while you address her weight loss.
It would be helpful if you got a urine sample so vet can check for infection or sludge.

It's bad news, the vet also suspected uterine cancer after feeling a lump so she admitted her in for a scan & x-ray. Scan confirmed the cancer. X Ray showed her lungs clear so didn't think it had spread.
Even in her underweight condition the vet wanted to at least give her a chance going under anesthesia to do emergency hysterectomy. I got a call after surgery saying unfortunately the cancer had spread to her bowels & it best to PTS as she would only get weaker & end up in pain very soon, they didn't think she'd make it more than a few more days. But it was hard to make that decision knowing she wasn't in pain, yet & still eating drinking fairly normal in herself. We got to go back to say goodbye 😢
The vet said she was very young to get this cancer but anything is possible with animals.

It's bad news, the vet also suspected uterine cancer after feeling a lump so she admitted her in for a scan & x-ray. Scan confirmed the cancer. X Ray showed her lungs clear so didn't think it had spread.
Even in her underweight condition the vet wanted to at least give her a chance going under anesthesia to do emergency hysterectomy. I got a call after surgery saying unfortunately the cancer had spread to her bowels & it best to PTS as she would only get weaker & end up in pain very soon, they didn't think she'd make it more than a few more days. But it was hard to make that decision knowing she wasn't in pain, yet & still eating drinking fairly normal in herself. We got to go back to say goodbye 😢
The vet said she was very young to get this cancer but anything is possible with animals.
I am so terribly sorry to read this update 😭 I can imagine how difficult the decision was as she was not appearing to be that unwell.

I'm sure that it will be small comfort to you, that your decision has saved her from a lot of distress and pain. But you have certainly done that and she will not even have been aware of how seriously ill she was.

Sending you lots of hugs. I really hoped that the outcome would have been something different.

I am so sorry she got cancer at such a young age and you had to let her go.
She spared her days of suffering even though your decision broke your heart.
Sending you gentle hugs.

Really sorry to hear your sad news, but she was spared any pain or suffering. Sending you hugs, and sweet dreams little girl xx

Back