• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poop Health

Intestinal parasites are very rarely a problem for Pet Rabbits. I have never wormed any of my aRabbits and would only do so if their was evidence of the Rabbit actually having worms. We do not have any vaccines against intestinal parasites in the U.K. I am not aware of such a vaccine existing.

I understand. I do it because the vet recommended it. I still don't feel comfortable. I'm thinking of having a poop test when I take him to surgery for sterilization. I don't know what else I can do. :(

Cookie is a very healthy bunny overall, mashallah. He is cheerful, energetic, now her diet is healthy, he didn't lose weight either. This soft poop has been around since infancy, I think he is prone to soft poop. I guess it's not a problem, I'm starting to think of it as his own genetic predisposition.

I understand. I do it because the vet recommended it. I still don't feel comfortable. I'm thinking of having a poop test when I take him to surgery for sterilization. I don't know what else I can do. :(
Yea I'm not sure I'd do that unless the bun actually potentially had a parasite [emoji51]

Cookie is a very healthy bunny overall, mashallah. He is cheerful, energetic, now her diet is healthy, he didn't lose weight either. This soft poop has been around since infancy, I think he is prone to soft poop. I guess it's not a problem, I'm starting to think of it as his own genetic predisposition.
Could try a prebiotic /probiotic pellet maybe? Or a fibre paste. Hard to know what's causing it, Atticus has this all the time but he's unwell tbh.

Could try a prebiotic /probiotic pellet maybe? Or a fibre paste. Hard to know what's causing it, Atticus has this all the time but he's unwell tbh.

Probiotic pellets are not sold in Turkey. Most rabbit products are not sold in Turkey. I bought a rabbit probiotic, sometimes I use. But I guess some rabbits are genetically predisposed to soft poop. I've been searching for this for days and this is the only reasonable logical reason I've found. Cookie has been pooping like this since she was a baby. I had Cookie do blood tests, ultrasound, x-rays, everything because of this poop thing. All results are clear. Finally, I'm thinking of getting a poop test. If his result is also clear, I will leave it behind now.

By the way, Cookie started eating a lot of hay because of you and now her poop is golden. :) Thank you so much. :)

I want to update.

I realized that the only reason for Cookie's soft poop is vegetables. Normally I would give him 1 cup of vegetables every day, but it causes soft poop on him. Now I give 1 cup of vegetables every 48 hours and his poop has completely improved. Now he only eats vegetables 3 days a week.
So Cookie's digestion is sensitive to eating vegetables every day. As a first time pet owner this was a difficult experience for me to understand, I had a lot of stress. Rabbit poop has become my obsession. :shock:

I want to update.

I realized that the only reason for Cookie's soft poop is vegetables. Normally I would give him 1 cup of vegetables every day, but it causes soft poop on him. Now I give 1 cup of vegetables every 48 hours and his poop has completely improved. Now he only eats vegetables 3 days a week.
So Cookie's digestion is sensitive to eating vegetables every day. As a first time pet owner this was a difficult experience for me to understand, I had a lot of stress. Rabbit poop has become my obsession. :shock:
Clementine is the exact same, I don't give her veggies now. Glad you've got it sorted :)

Hi Jane,
I didn't want to open new topic over and over again. I want to ask you something about dried vegetables. Dried vegetables for rabbits are not sold in Turkey. But in herbalists, all kinds of vegetables are considered as dried for making tea, for example, dried dandelions are sold for dandelion tea. Do you think it would be healthy if I bought dried vegetables for tea like this and gave them to Cookie?

Clementine is the exact same, I don't give her veggies now. Glad you've got it sorted :)

I wonder why he can't tolerate vegetables, frankly, I am very confused. I really had a hard time living and understanding this with my first bunny. :(

Also, can I dry vegetables such as parsley and lettuce myself and give them to him?

I wonder why he can't tolerate vegetables, frankly, I am very confused. I really had a hard time living and understanding this with my first bunny. :(
Tbh they're quite rich and probably not what a wild rabbit would eat much of, honestly I don't think they're designed to eat a lot of veg [emoji51] they eat loads of grass and some wild plants naturally... That would be it! And they do have very delicate digestive systems.. Just my opinion tho!

Also, can I dry vegetables such as parsley and lettuce myself and give them to him?
Parsley might be alright in small quantities, I've found herbs different to veg but obviously you can just test that. You can dry it, I wouldn't bother tho tbh unless you find he tolerates it dried but not fresh. I think feeding fresh is better than dried because it has moisture which is good. Just to say there's nothing wrong with dried food! Just we already feed hay not grass mainly so again our buns are already not getting as much water in their diet compared to a wild bun I'm guessing... Again all just my thoughts on this, and I'm not a bunny diet expert [emoji38][emoji38]

Back