• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poop Health

I'd slowly reduce the mix food til you aren't giving it anymore, he'll be okay without it I think. I don't feed rabbit food to any of mine. Does he have anything else in his diet like vegetables, herbs or forage?

Do you know how much hay he roughly eats in a 24 hour period? They're meant to eat about the size of themselves in hay iirc, mine eat more than that, but I think it's roughly meant to be their body size of hay eaten.

I give him unlimited hay. I don't know how much he ate, but I often see him eating hay. I give him 1-1.5 cups of vegetables every day. Now I'm on a ready-mix feed reduction diet. But I panicked about his health because of this state of his poop. :| Do you think I should cut the ready-mixed food at once? What happens if I suddenly stop giving him this mix food??

Do they kinda look like this?
24e8c5dc0b98f6e405f1e9d16bfa6af1.jpg
24bde3443cf3e33e50d71aded0053ca8.jpg

Yes, looks like this. It looks the same. He poopes 1-2 times a day like this

Last edited:
Yes, looks like this. It looks the same.
Yea I just took these from my velvets litter tray, they're from Atticus who has a lot of gut issues.. I don't exactly know what that poop is tho! Hopefully someone else can tell us both. But please don't panic, if Cookie is well in himself and eating and pooping, that's the main thing! Everything else can be adjusted slowly :)

What veg do you feed? Broccoli and kale and spring greens can cause issues ime

Yea I just took these from my velvets litter tray, they're from Atticus who has a lot of gut issues.. I don't exactly know what that poop is tho! Hopefully someone else can tell us both. But please don't panic, if Cookie is well in himself and eating and pooping, that's the main thing! Everything else can be adjusted slowly :)

What veg do you feed? Broccoli and kale and spring greens can cause issues ime

This is a big difference in vegetable matter. Most of the vegetables on the list of safe vegetables for rabbits are not available in Turkey. I give Cookie lettuce, parsley, green pepper, celery stalk,coriander, basil, purslane. I never gave him broccoli and cabbage, I'm worried about gas. :roll:
I give him small pieces of carrot and fruit 1-2 days a week.

This is a big difference in vegetable matter. Most of the vegetables on the list of safe vegetables for rabbits are not available in Turkey. I give Cookie lettuce, parsley, green pepper, celery stalk,coriander, basil, purslane. I never gave him broccoli and cabbage, I'm worried about gas. :roll:
I give him small pieces of carrot and fruit 1-2 days a week.
I'm no expert but I'm wondering if his diet is too rich and it's causing those poops. I'd maybe cut down the veggies a bit and maybe only offer the herbs first one at a time and see if it improves.

Hopefully someone else will chime in! [emoji38]

I'm no expert but I'm wondering if his diet is too rich and it's causing those poops. I'd maybe cut down the veggies a bit and maybe only offer the herbs first one at a time and see if it improves.

Hopefully someone else will chime in! [emoji38]

This is quite logical, I will try this. Thank you so much Graciee :)

I hope someone poop expert sees the issue. :roll:

I am not sure what you mean by a ‘ready mixed food’, I am assuming it is what is referred to as a muesli mix here in the U.K. If so then this is probably the main cause of the problem. Whilst a mix is a tasty food for Rabbits it is basically junk food.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/the-problem-with-muesli-mixes-1

Before you cut the mix out you need to be certain Cookie is eating lots of hay. Rabbits who have been fed a mix often fill up on that, eat little hay and as a result develop dental problems- ie overly long molar crowns and/or molar spurs. The crowns of the teeth cannot be kept in good shape if the Rabbit does not eat enough hay/grass. The GI tract function is effected too causing abnormal poo output and eventually episodes of gut stasis. But if dental problems are already established the Rabbit will not be able to eat enough hay to maintain a healthy weight. The jaw action required to chew hay is rotational and rotational jaw action can cause discomfort if the crowns of the molar teeth have sharp spurs. The spurs scratch against the cheeks and tongue.

0ER2aVF.jpg

As long as you are certain that Cookie is eating lots of hay you can cut out the mix. It is a good idea to provide a variety of hay types.

https://www.vrra.org/wp-beta1/wp-content/uploads/bunphotos/Types-of-Rabbit-Hay.pdf

Continue to feed a small portion of vegetables too but no carrot and no fruit. Weigh Cookie at least twice a week to make sure he is not losing weight.

Lots of information about Diet here

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-diet/

I am not sure what you mean by a ‘ready mixed food’, I am assuming it is what is referred to as a muesli mix here in the U.K. If so then this is probably the main cause of the problem. Whilst a mix is a tasty food for Rabbits it is basically junk food.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/the-problem-with-muesli-mixes-1

Before you cut the mix out you need to be certain Cookie is eating lots of hay. Rabbits who have been fed a mix often fill up on that, eat little hay and as a result develop dental problems- ie overly long molar crowns and/or molar spurs. The crowns of the teeth cannot be kept in good shape if the Rabbit does not eat enough hay/grass. The GI tract function is effected too causing abnormal poo output and eventually episodes of gut stasis. But if dental problems are already established the Rabbit will not be able to eat enough hay to maintain a healthy weight. The jaw action required to chew hay is rotational and rotational jaw action can cause discomfort if the crowns of the molar teeth have sharp spurs. The spurs scratch against the cheeks and tongue.

0ER2aVF.jpg

As long as you are certain that Cookie is eating lots of hay you can cut out the mix. It is a good idea to provide a variety of hay types.

https://www.vrra.org/wp-beta1/wp-content/uploads/bunphotos/Types-of-Rabbit-Hay.pdf

Continue to feed a small portion of vegetables too but no carrot and no fruit. Weigh Cookie at least twice a week to make sure he is not losing weight.

Lots of information about Diet here

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-diet/

If he is hungry, wouldn't he eat hay? I will freak out about this. This is my biggest fear. What will I do if I don't give the instant mixed packaged food and he gets hungry? His teeth are fine, new vet checkup. Please help me with this. I want to save Cookie from unhealthy food. But I'm afraid he'll starve and die for it. What will I do if he stops eating and he is hungry when I don't give him the unhealthy food?

Everyone in Turkey uses these packets of unhealthy foods. Even the vet approved the packets mix food. Nobody knows anything. Then I started to search for foreign sources. And that's how I learned it was wrong. And now taking it from him scares me. Normally I started using a 4-week pack of mixed food release diet. The more hungry Cookie the more hay eats, right? Does this encourage him to eat more hay?

Update: Actually I am worried. Cookie does not eat 70-80 percent of package mixed food. He doesn't like many things inside. He eats max 4 tablespoons a day. Actually I don't think he will have a hard time dieting. I think he won't have a hard time quitting that packaged mixed food. I can't see right because I'm worried. Because Cookie does not eat many of the ingredients in the packaged food.

Last edited:
If Cookie is only eating the tasty bits of the mix, something called ‘selective feeding’ then he won’t really be getting any nutritional value from the food. The tasty bits are the bits with the least nutrition.

He won’t starve as long as he is a good hay eater. You don’t need to cut out all veg, but just feed less of them. My Rabbits are not fed any mixes or pellet feeds at all. They have a variety of hays, freeze dried grass, a variety of dried forages, fresh and dried herbs and a minimal amount of green veg. I have one Rabbit with a neurological problem which also effects his GI tract function. He cannot ever have any mix or pellet feed as the tiniest amount causes profuse diarrhoea.

I think if you can get Cookie off the mix and up his hay intake his poo output will improve :)

If Cookie is only eating the tasty bits of the mix, something called ‘selective feeding’ then he won’t really be getting any nutritional value from the food. The tasty bits are the bits with the least nutrition.

He won’t starve as long as he is a good hay eater. You don’t need to cut out all veg, but just feed less of them. My Rabbits are not fed any mixes or pellet feeds at all. They have a variety of hays, freeze dried grass, a variety of dried forages, fresh and dried herbs and a minimal amount of green veg. I have one Rabbit with a neurological problem which also effects his GI tract function. He cannot ever have any mix or pellet feed as the tiniest amount causes profuse diarrhoea.

I think if you can get Cookie off the mix and up his hay intake his poo output will improve :)

Thank you so much. :love: Can I consult you about this whenever I want? Can I write in private?

Jane, you know that picture I posted of Atticus' poop, what would you guess that is? [emoji38]

Jane, you know that picture I posted of Atticus' poop, what would you guess that is? [emoji38]

An abnormal fecal poop. He probably does not have normal peristaltic contractions of his gut and possibly malabsorption too. So he gets large elongated and wet fecal poop.

This is the first time I've seen Cookie poop this much. He made it out of those soft big poops again. Not diarrhea but what are those soft poops??

I don't like these soft big poops. Other poops are normal and not like this. He has no problem, examination and tests were done yesterday, everything is normal. He no longer eats ready-made food. He fed unlimited hay and 10 percent vegetables. Why is this situation?
I am attaching pictures. :( :(

https://imguh.com/image/2oBPZ
https://imguh.com/image/2oA9z
https://imguh.com/image/2oUcX

What would a typical days food and treats look like for Cookie?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

He eats unlimited hay, 1.5 tablespoons of pellets, 1 cup of vegetables per day.

Until recently, I was giving ready-made packaged food. but now we have stopped gradually, for a few weeks I have gradually stopped giving ready-made packaged food. He didn't lose weight, he even gained 100 grams when he started to eat more hay.
It's been a while since him soft big poop has decreased, I've rarely seen it. I wonder if he pooped because of stress because he went to the vet yesterday

Last edited:
What is his veggie selection?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I give him vegetables like celery stalk, lettuce, parsley, rocket. Sometimes I give him cucumbers and peppers. I give very small amounts of carrots and bananas once a week. Graciee said, so now I give 1 vegetable a day. I'm not making him a mixed vegetable dish.

Back