• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poop Health

I would stop all veg for 48 hours and just feed hay his pellet ration and water. Then if his poo is OK after those 48 hours introduce one type of dark green leafy veg at a time. Personally I do not feed my Rabbits Lettuce, cucumber, peppers, carrots or banana at all. They have fresh herbs such as coriander or flat leaf parsley or a small portion of dark leafy greens.

I don’t know if it has been exceptionally hot in your country in recent days, but if so that could contribute to GI tract disturbances. Also, if the recent episode of passing abnormal poop occurred after a trip to the Vet it may be stress related.

I have one Rabbit who cannot tolerate any type of pellet feed at all, they all cause him to have terrible diarrhoea. As a result he has been on a diet of hay, dried forage, dried and fresh herbs and veg for the last 6 years.

Last edited:
I would stop all veg for 48 hours and just feed hay his pellet ration and water. Then if his poo is OK after those 48 hours introduce one type of dark green leafy veg at a time. Personally I do not feed my Rabbits Lettuce, cucumber, peppers, carrots or banana at all. They have fresh herbs such as coriander or flat leaf parsley or a small portion of dark leafy greens.

I don’t know if it has been exceptionally hot in your country in recent days, but if so that could contribute to GI tract disturbances. Also, if the recent episode of passing abnormal poop occurred after a trip to the Vet it may be stress related.

I have one Rabbit who cannot tolerate any type of pellet feed at all, they all cause him to have terrible diarrhoea. As a result he has been on a diet of hay, dried forage, dried and fresh herbs and veg for the last 6 years.

What exactly is dried forage?

There are not many things belonging to the rabbit diet in Turkey. There are no timothy hay or timothy-based products in Turkey. I can only give Cookie hay of fescue/meadow grass. No dried herbs.

Now I won't give vegetables for 48 hours. If I don't give him any pellets, how about if he only feeds hay for 48 hours? I suspect he doesn't tolerate pellets well.

I feed dried parsley, mint, spearmint, broccoli flakes, celery stalks, celery flakes, chervil stalks, coriander stalks, Dill stalks, Spinach stalks

I make up my own dried forage mixes using these and various dried forage leaves. My Rabbits are not fed pellets. They have two large handfuls of the forage mix a day alongside a variety of hays :)

I feed dried parsley, mint, spearmint, broccoli flakes, celery stalks, celery flakes, chervil stalks, coriander stalks, Dill stalks, Spinach stalks

I make up my own dried forage mixes using these and various dried forage leaves. My Rabbits are not fed pellets. They have two large handfuls of the forage mix a day alongside a variety of hays :)

Hımm, it's very good. So what is the difference between this dry and fresh vegetable? Were dry vegetables given unlimited? I'm a little obsessed with rabbit diet. That's why I can ask so many questions. :oops:

The important thing with vegetables is to try them one by one by offering small amounts and monitor your bunny for several days each time you give something different. This will help you determine if a specific vegetable is causing soft poo and in some bunnies gas or bloating. .
Your vet knows what is available where you live and should be able to offer suggestions. Jane mentioned dark leafy greens which is a good start.

The important thing with vegetables is to try them one by one by offering small amounts and monitor your bunny for several days each time you give something different. This will help you determine if a specific vegetable is causing soft poo and in some bunnies gas or bloating. .
Your vet knows what is available where you live and should be able to offer suggestions. Jane mentioned dark leafy greens which is a good start.

Normally, I read a lot of rabbit diet, but half of what is mentioned in Turkey does not happen. So I'm trying to do something by myself. This time it's a mess. :D My head is spinning. :D I'm obsessed with this topic so I'm very confused. :D

Thank you so much. I love this site. :love: But Jane, something stuck in my mind. Are you giving these dried vegetables instead of daily vegetables? So you prefer dried vegetables instead of fresh vegetables for your rabbit? Are dried vegetables healthier for rabbits?

They have both fresh and dried veg :)

I noticed something. No parasite vaccine for rabbits in Turkey. That's why every 3 months, an internal-external parasite drug is made to Cookie. I noticed that after the parasite drug the soft poop of Cookie increased a lot. Other than that, in general, I sometimes see soft poop once a day. I wonder if this has something to do with parasitic drugs?

I noticed something. No parasite vaccine for rabbits in Turkey. That's why every 3 months, an internal-external parasite drug is made to Cookie. I noticed that after the parasite drug the soft poop of Cookie increased a lot. Other than that, in general, I sometimes see soft poop once a day. I wonder if this has something to do with parasitic drugs?

I cannot help because we have no vaccines and only get drug for parasites if vet suspects parasites and prescribes..

Intestinal parasites are very rarely a problem for Pet Rabbits. I have never wormed any of my aRabbits and would only do so if their was evidence of the Rabbit actually having worms. We do not have any vaccines against intestinal parasites in the U.K. I am not aware of such a vaccine existing.

Back