• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please can I have some Vibes/ Our Beautiful girl Cloud has left us. P141

Gone into GI Stasis

On way home from Vets they have given her fluids and meds and we must get her eating tonight as she has now gone into Gi stasis :(

It's going to be a long night I think.

Will keep everyone posted.

o no :( i know the feeling of long restless nights, but hopefully tomorrow is a better day for her, loads of healing vibes for her, hope you get some sleep xxxx

The most important things for GI stasis in the very early stages is fluids (given iv if bunny really bad or sub cut) and pain relief, then as long as its not gut obstruction, metoclopramide injections. The pain relief needs to be something much more potent than metacam like vetergesic. You vet should have given some sort of injectable pain relief.

GI stasis is the gut slowing down, usually in response to pain, then as stasis progresses bunny gets gas build up so is in additional pain. As prey species rabbits are good at hiding pain, so its really important to treat it.

Sub cut fluids really need to be given every 4 hours, and as long as the abdomen is doughy and the bunny no longer in any pain then syringe feeding should start.

I am not a vet but have loads of experience with GI Stasis.

If bunny is still ill after a few hours they should be admitted to a vet for iv fluid treatment and regular stasis drugs and pain medication.

I really cant tell you how important prompt treatment is as well as getting a really good bunny savvy vet that knows how to treat GI stasis. Have you asked the RWF about a good rabbit vet?

Oh no the evil stasis! More nomming and pooing vibes come on cloud! Also hoping the car journey may have jiggled things around as well!

Aw no. Thinking of you and Cloud - sending loads more vibes and hoping she'll come through this. Come on Cloud!

Even though she has been to the emergency vet tonight and Mike has syringe fed Cloud there is no improvement at all she just sits there and it's breaking my heart.

Do you think we should take her back to the Vets tonight and have her admitted so the vet can give her fluids through the night and keep an eye on her as I am scared that we will lose her :cry:

Advice please

Even though she has been to the emergency vet tonight and Mike has syringe fed Cloud there is no improvement at all she just sits there and it's breaking my heart.

Do you think we should take her back to the Vets tonight and have her admitted so the vet can give her fluids through the night and keep an eye on her as I am scared that we will lose her :cry:

Advice please

Can you phone the vets and see what they advise?

Advice please

When Spenser had stasis in September he actually got worse before he got better - started hard teeth-grinding. :( He only perked up when I brought him into the house and as this was an unfamilar environment his nosiness worked what seemed like a miracle cure - although he ate very little until I returned him to the hutch next day. That's my only experience of stasis and it's hardly typical. If you've got a room she doesn't know it might be worth taking her there to see if she reacts ... but otherwise I'd be tempted to seek admission.

can you get them to show you how to give injected fluids? Its actually very easy. That way she gets fluids but you get to look after her in her normal environment.

Also make sure she is on something very warm ( do not rely on her choosing to lay on a snugglesafe - make sure she is either on your lap or on a blanket with something warm under all of it -

Back