• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flo - those subtle clues that all add up to an emergency

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
I didn't post on Friday when it all kicked off here - because as you may appreciate and understand, I am still very raw from the loss of Alfred. And friday, I cam very close to losing Flo. And this is a post about knowing how to add up those subtle clues.
Everything was fine on Friday morning. Bugsy and Flo were happy, eating and no issues. I went to work as usual. I left the usual 2 plates of food out, a handful of food in the toilet area and the autmatic feeder for their lunchtime snacks. I got back at 5:20 and everything looked ok. Bugsy sploofed by the back door and Flo was sitting. But she was sitting by the fridge - she NEVER sits by the fridge. That was clue number 1 - easily missed. One of the plates of food was still full and the food in the toilet hadn't been touched. Clue number 2. I opened the back door and Bugsy went out. Flo didn't. So I picked her up and took her outside as the light was fading and it's important she got some garden time. That was clue 3. Flo NEVER lets me pick her up. Ever! She ran off to find Bugsy who was sitting in his usual spot behind Alfreds bush. Flo joined him whilst I got my tea from the garage. When I came back, Bugsy was on the lawn and Flo was jammed into the bush. That was clue 4. I looked at the situation. To most people this was not anything to worry about but to me I had nothing but red flags. And having lost Alfred in June, I just had a gut feeling ( no pun intended). I went to pick Flo up - she didn't move.
I grabbed the carrier, grabbed my phone and was on to the vets before I'd even got Flo into the carrier. My heart was pounding.
15 minutes later I was at the vet hospital and in seeing the vet. Flos temperature was 37 degrees and for those with the knowledge - like Jane, this is 1 degree lower than ideal. The vet heard gut noise but not as much as she wanted. Teeth were fine. Tummy soft. But there were enough clues from me to suggest this was the onset of stasis. We decided not to admit her - it was my choice especially after the situation with Alfred. I couldn't face losing Flo.
I brought her home with emipred and metacam and critical care. Flo just sat - like a blob. The vet gave her injection of metacam and emipred to speed things up.
I got some critical care into Flo but she didn't want to know about food.
Friday night was a long night. I lay on the sofa. And Flo lay in the living room. Bugsy - well, if there is a happy outcome from this, then the saving grace was Bugsy. He was absolutely amazing. He lay next to Flo - he never moved. All night he lay there keeping Flo warm. Flo never ate.
On saturday morning we took her back to the vet. She hadn't improved. Her temperature was up to 37.9. This was positive. She'd had some critical care but nothing else. Saturday was a long day. Flo just sat in the living room. Whatever I put out for her, Bugsy ate!
Sky-O - well she was amazing. She dropped round some fresh picked forage and Flo had some of that. What an amazing person Sky-O is.
Nothing much changed on Saturday and I slept downstairs again on saturday night. Bugsy stayed by Flos side all night again. Given they've only been bonded since September, Bugsy is a god send. Given he had a torrid relationship with his brother, Bugsy was gentle, caring and he just knew.
Yesterday - sunday, Flo seemed to pick up a tad. I went foraging, nearly broke my arm falling down a slippery bank and brought in fresh grass and a bit of dandelion which Bugsy promptly ate! Flo picked at a bit of food and I got some poop off her. She was passing some poop at least. Her eyes were half closed and didn't look great. I didn't know what to do. We continued with the critical care and tempted Flo with some carrot tops. But she still was very poorly.
I spent last night on the sofa again. Flo was quite resistant to the critical care last night.
This morning Flo was a bit more feisty. It was challenging getting meds down her but she still seemed so poorly. I left for work and no sooner did I get to work than Jan texted me to say Flo had suddenly .......eaten quite a bit of fresh herbs. Small steps.
I picked some fresh dandelions from work on my lunch time and came home tonight. Flo had already eaten more herbs and her face lit up when I showed her rhe fresh dandelion leaves which were just what she wanted. It was such a releif to see her eat freely - eat keenly, eat genuinely. She wanted to eat and whilst she isn't stuffing her face, she is active, her fur feels like it has life, her whiskers are curly and her eyes full of life again.
We aren't there yet - but we are on the way there.
Ive identified Flos love of cardboard boxes as the probable cause as the ingestion would have effected the gut bacteria. We have had a box in the kitchen for the last 2 weeks and Flo has been doing some bunstruction. It never crossed my mind, but hindsight is a marvelous thing.
The clues on Friday helped save her life - one on it's own wouldn't have set my alarm bells ringing but all the clues together added up to a scary situation.
It is an unexplainable emotion to bring a rabbit who is very poorly back from that precipice - Flo went there and my goodness we all went with her. But it also showed us that Flo is an incredibly strong willed rabbit and Bugsy is just amazing. I cry frequently at the loss of Alfred in identical circumstances, but out of Alfreds loss we found Bugsy and without Bugsy I dont know what Flo would have done. Bugsy is such an amazing sensitive and aware rabbit.
I'll update with how Flo is getting on - just about to give her the last of her meds (hopefully) but will continue with metacam for a couple more days.
Craig xx

Oh Craig, I'm wrung out just reading this, but am so so pleased that Flo is on the up now. You have such a wonderful bond with your bunnies, to be able to recognise the warning signs, and Bugsy is amazing bless him. Sending lovely Flo loads of vibes for a full recovery xx

I’m sorry you went through this. Back when I had rabbits I decided to ban cardboard from them as when they ate it it caused a gut slowdown. sending lots of vibes xx

I'm so glad she's okay Craig! It's so scary when they have stasis :(

I don't let any of mine access to cardboard, this happens otherwise unfortunately, idk why they have a death wish tbh, Atticus and Clementine would eat plastic bags if I let them!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Jeez, Craig, you lead such a quiet life, you really need more excitement! (Sarcasm alert)

I'm glad Flo seems to be holding her own. I hoe you can both get some rest after this recent ordeal. Vibes on the way to you. xx

It has been a difficult road for you, yet the wisdom you acquired through all the sorrow has been instrumental in Flo coming back from the brink. Hats off to Sky-O for providing forage and comfort too.

It is wonderful that you were able to recognize the signs early enough to have a successful outcome. Your vet may be able to provide injectable meds which may be easier with some bunnies.
With critical care some bunnies can be quite resistant, especially when they are very ill when they need it most, so I can empathise with you there. With some bunnies giving gut motility meds a short while prior to syringe feeds may make it more successful depending on what section of the gut is slow. Also, Jane will tell you different motility meds work on different parts of the gi system, so I sometimes use more than one.

Bugsey sounds wonderful, as do you and Jan. Sending vibes to you all.

Craig, well done for being so in touch with the animals in your care that you spot the early onset of issues. Our rabbits go down hill so quickly, it's essential that we look out for these tiny signs.
Now that she is eating, I am sure Flo will continue to improve.
I also have a rabbit that loves to destroy/eat cardboard boxes
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

How's Flo doing today, Craig?

Funny, I used to give toilet rolls and paper towel rolls to my bunnies. We'd stuff them with hay and craisins and mini oat cookies as boredom busters. They would chew the ends and fling them about to knock the yummies loose but then they were discarded. Generally a rabbit won't eat that kind of "fiber" unless it may have a slow gut to begin with. I've known other bunny owners whose rabbits preferred carpet as a naughty treat when they're feeling poorly. :(

How's Flo doing today, Craig?

Funny, I used to give toilet rolls and paper towel rolls to my bunnies. We'd stuff them with hay and craisins and mini oat cookies as boredom busters. They would chew the ends and fling them about to knock the yummies loose but then they were discarded. Generally a rabbit won't eat that kind of "fiber" unless it may have a slow gut to begin with. I've known other bunny owners whose rabbits preferred carpet as a naughty treat when they're feeling poorly. :(

Thank you MM - and everybun for your replies.
I must confess I’m still very anxious about leaving Flo so last night was hard as I slept upstairs for the first time since Friday. A small price to pay for flos wellbeing and monitoring. We let Flo and bugsy spend the night in the living room - they are usually in the kitchen but they have behaved so well in the living room and especially during the night, that we felt they could be trusted.
When I came down this morning Flo was already at the kitchen door so a little more lively. She grazed at breakfast - eating small amounts at frequent intervals. I was anxious because she wasn’t eating as much as she used to and she didn’t want pellets. But her gut was still in recovery so it’s understandable.
However when I got to work, Jan started texting. Flo was having some naps but began eating pellets. Then this afternoon Flo went outside and started on the grass. This was such good news. Not only was she getting round, moving is hugely beneficial but she was regaining an appetite for grass.
I picked a big bag of dandelion leaves from work and Flo had a small handful (washed) when I got in, and she took some pellets.
She is sploofing in a very relaxed way and she seems very much on the positive mend. Bugsy remains amazing and is snuggled up right next to her. He has been an inspirational support and it brings tears to my eyes to see bugsy behave like this. Given his previous home and the turbulent time he had with his brother, the fact bugsy is such a dedicated loving bunny to Flo in only 2 months is frankly astonishing.
I know things can change quickly and recovery from stasis takes time and after the loss of Alfred so quickly, I don’t take anything for granted, but Flo is presenting as steadily improving and we have been able to withdraw the meds. Flo can take her recovery at her own pace- we will always support her no matter what. And bugsy is by her side so she has that special love that only rabbits can give.
Thank you for all your thoughts.
Craig. X

That's wonderful news Craig, thanks for update. Sending along more vibes for Flo, and a well deserved nose bump for Bugsy xx

Back