• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can I have vibes for Fudgie too now please

Oh, I'm so glad she's feeling better and has had some poops and nibbled some food. That's a relief. :love: I think, since she's getting better, that I wouldn't stress her out with an X-ray now, either. Sending so many more vibes for Fudgie.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad others agree that an x ray probably wouldn't be in her best interests at the moment.

I still haven't had an update from the vet. I've just called and asked for them to get back to me. If she is continuing to make progress then ideally I'd like her discharged tonight. I know from visiting in the past that they keep all animals together in one ward which I think will be stressful for her. If there are clinical reasons why they think she needs to stay that's ok, but if it's just a question of giving her meds and syringe feeds then that's something I'm capable of doing at home. I also think she'd benefit massively from being in her home environment and back with Snoopy.

Really pleased to see this update about Fudgie :D I think your decision not to proceed with an x-ray is the one I would have chosen.

Really pleased to read this update on Fudgie and I'm keepimg everything crossed that she can come home tonight. xx

Hi everyone

Just a quick update on Fudgie. She is coming home this evening!

I discussed with the vet about having her discharged yesterday evening. I did say that I felt that, since the danger period had passed, she would probably recover better at home. Plus I'm pretty competent with the syringe so I can carry on the feeds and medication here. However the vet wanted to keep her on IV fluids and IV pain relief a little bit longer .

I think she was probably a bit over cautious about discharging too early. However she has been really on the ball regarding the correct treatment and my inclination was to trust her clinical judgment so I agreed that she should stay in another night.

I've just spoken to a different vet who has been treating her today. Thankfully she's on the same page as me that she should continue her recovery at home. Her only real concern was making sure I could do the meds and syringe feeds myself.

Fudgie is doing well in herself. Her blood glucose is at 5, she is eating a bit for herself and pooing. The eating is fairly intermittent, but they've had her on vetergesic, which would explain it as it really zonks her out. Hopefully she'll start to get back to normal as it works its way out of her system. Her poos are also fairly small, which is to be expected at this stage.

Sorry, that turned out to not be a quick update!

Hi everyone

Just a quick update on Fudgie. She is coming home this evening!

I discussed with the vet about having her discharged yesterday evening. I did say that I felt that, since the danger period had passed, she would probably recover better at home. Plus I'm pretty competent with the syringe so I can carry on the feeds and medication here. However the vet wanted to keep her on IV fluids and IV pain relief a little bit longer .

I think she was probably a bit over cautious about discharging too early. However she has been really on the ball regarding the correct treatment and my inclination was to trust her clinical judgment so I agreed that she should stay in another night.

I've just spoken to a different vet who has been treating her today. Thankfully she's on the same page as me that she should continue her recovery at home. Her only real concern was making sure I could do the meds and syringe feeds myself.

Fudgie is doing well in herself. Her blood glucose is at 5, she is eating a bit for herself and pooing. The eating is fairly intermittent, but they've had her on vetergesic, which would explain it as it really zonks her out. Hopefully she'll start to get back to normal as it works its way out of her system. Her poos are also fairly small, which is to be expected at this stage.

Sorry, that turned out to not be a quick update!

Hopefully she will continue to recover at home. I am sure that she will feel happier to be in a familiar environment x

Sending lots more vibes for Fudgie. I hope she can come home and continues to improve.

She's home!

She's acting pretty much as I expected her to. She ran out of the carrier and straight into the bus, where she's currently sitting. Understandably, she seems a bit disorientated. Her poor ear is lopped a bit from where she had the cannula.

I'm going to leave her alone to settle and just quietly keep an eye on her, until she has to have her meds and syringe feeds.

So glad Fudgie is home - I am sure the familiar surroundings will help her feel much better more quickly. Sending more vibes for Fudgie. xx

I'm glad she is home safe & sound. You had me worried saying she ran in to the bus til I remembered MPH bus:lol:. Please can we have some photos next week when she is feeling better. Of Snoops too. Lots of vibes - I hope you have an appertising but not too intrusive buffet laid on? x

Thanks both.

J&B, I do have quite the buffet laid on! Lots of herbs and a decent amount of forage considering the time of year. I'm extra pleased as I managed to find a good patch of dandelions on the way to picking her up.

She hasn't eaten anything yet so I'm gearing up for the first syringe feed of the night. I bet the vet nurses are glad they don't have to do that anymore. According to one I spoke to last night she has been "a little moo". 😆

Thanks Zoobec!

Good news! She's had a nibble on some hay! Only a small amount, but it's a start. She's also sitting out in the living room with me and Snoopy. She does seem a bit dopey still but she looks comfortable, which is the main thing.

Although she has eaten a bit, I'm going to give her another syringe feed when I give her her metacam and second gut stimulant before I go to bed. Just to make sure she has food in her tummy overnight. I'm hoping that the vetergesic will continue to wear off over the next few hours but she should still have analgesic cover from the metacam.

Oh and she has also left an unholy splat in the litter tray, so I'll be digging out the poo flannel again!

Back