• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penelope is dead

Graciee - you are absolutely NOT letting Apricot down. Apricot is experiencing grief as you are also. It is a natural emotion but it doesn't make it easier on you or Apricot right now. You are fulfilling Apricots needs right now - what she is missing is the companionship. You are there for her and she will feel that presence. So you are helping her in your human way. Rabbits are complicated communicators and the only reason you are feeling as you are, is because you care and because you love your rabbits and your family. If and when you are ready to move on, you will know when the time is right and we'll all be here supporting you in that journey.
Hugs to you Graciee xx

You're doing your best. Rodney struggled a lot at first and the strange poops as well. The vet suggested it was stress and to just spend as much time with him as he wanted.

He became my shadow for a bit and I'll admit we started searching for Blossom very quickly as I was very worried once we stopped home working as it seemed likely last Sept that he would be too alone.

The search took longer than I thought and actually by 3 weeks he had very much settled into single life and the sadness had lifted. At that point we washed all their things etc and he spent a lot of time chinning and binkying. He would come sit with me in the morning then take himself off for naps and be back for dinner on time every day.

He was actually rather put out about Blossoms arrival and I spent ages second guessing myself and I miss my little shadow sometimes. But he had a good time alone first and was fine so I would get you guys and Apricot through and think about bonding when you're able.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone I really appreciate everything you've all said xx

I guess I'm just worried and feeling guilty as soon I won't be able to spend much time with her and now she's alone and Michael will be handling a lot on his own so probably won't have much time to hang with her either. It's all just sucky :(

Big hugs for you and Apricot xx It's never an easy time but sometimes it's just really awful timing with everything else going on. Apricot will just need time I expect, and you're doing totally right by her, giving her new forage etc., as long as she's eating and pooing and physically healthy, that's all you can expect of her right now :love: Odd shaped/sized poos sound like a sign of stress and that's totally to be expected xxx

I don't know much about grieving buns so I can't give any advice like the others. But I am thinking of you all and all I can say is Apricot will feel your love. I do know bunnies are very sensitive to our feelings and she will get comfort from being near you.

I hope the sadness passes soon for Apricot and she is back to herself a bit more [emoji175]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thanks both for asking, she's the same tbh. She has moments where she's more springy and comes bounding over now which is nice to see, but she often sits alone looking really sad, or she looks round the place like she's looking for something :(

I'm hoping things will improve and she'll be able to have a new friend soon

Bless her. Vibes for more springy & fewer lost moments. Lovely you're thinking about getting a friend & lovely she has her human family for support in the interim

Bless her. Vibes for more springy & fewer lost moments. Lovely you're thinking about getting a friend & lovely she has her human family for support in the interim
Thanks x

I don't think she can be alone, wouldn't be right she's only about 3 years old too, so hopefully we'll be able to find a bun for her soon

Pleased to hear that Apricot is showing some signs of springiness, the possibility of getting her a little friend would be lovely too xx

Thanks both for asking, she's the same tbh. She has moments where she's more springy and comes bounding over now which is nice to see, but she often sits alone looking really sad, or she looks round the place like she's looking for something :(

I'm hoping things will improve and she'll be able to have a new friend soon

That is a promising update. You both need more time. Hugs.

I'm so sorry for the sad loss of beautiful Penelope. Also sorry that I have only just seen this thread. Sending much love from Bertieville. xx

I hope that Apricot is coping a bit better by now ? No need to reply if you don’t feel comfortable doing so but did you ever get any answers as to what happened to Penelope ? :cry:

I hope that Apricot is coping a bit better by now ? No need to reply if you don’t feel comfortable doing so but did you ever get any answers as to what happened to Penelope ? :cry:
She's doing okay thanks for asking Jane :) she's still not really her, but she seems more upbeat, she's got a new routine which she's really taken to, and spends a lot of time with us all. Altho hopefully she'll have a new friend some time soon and we'll put them out in the big hutch, run around tunnel and run enclosure, because if we end up with the bun I think we will, I think he'll prefer that kinda life and Apricot also loves living outside [emoji38]

I spoke to William the other day, samples came back with nothing wrong with them, so inconclusive :( I picked up her ashes last week too, so I guess we'll never really know :( in my mind, I think it must have been a heart attack, but no prior heart disease, it's the only thing that makes sense to me, apparently that's not always visual or detectable, what are your thoughts on this? I know no one can know, but do you think that could be possible? Literally no signs of anything else wrong with her, I feel like I need something to be like at least it was probably this, you know? Was so sudden and unexpected.

She's doing okay thanks for asking Jane :) she's still not really her, but she seems more upbeat, she's got a new routine which she's really taken to, and spends a lot of time with us all. Altho hopefully she'll have a new friend some time soon and we'll put them out in the big hutch, run around tunnel and run enclosure, because if we end up with the bun I think we will, I think he'll prefer that kinda life and Apricot also loves living outside [emoji38]

I spoke to William the other day, samples came back with nothing wrong with them, so inconclusive :( I picked up her ashes last week too, so I guess we'll never really know :( in my mind, I think it must have been a heart attack, but no prior heart disease, it's the only thing that makes sense to me, apparently that's not always visual or detectable, what are your thoughts on this? I know no one can know, but do you think that could be possible? Literally no signs of anything else wrong with her, I feel like I need something to be like at least it was probably this, you know? Was so sudden and unexpected.

I have thought about beautiful Penelope so much. It was absolutely tragic that you lost her :cry: I would think the only thing it could have been was an ‘ electrical ‘ problem with her heart. Rather like what happened to Christien Erikson (Footballer) last weekend when he had a cardiac arrest on the pitch. I would think a problem with the heart rhythm would be very hard to identify on a PM once the heart has stopped.

A few years ago I had a large breed Rabbit called Maya who literally dropped dead in front of me. She was perfectly well and was in her litter tray chomping hay. She hopped out to come over to me, lurched forward and died. Despite all attempts to revive her I failed. A detailed PM came up with no abnormalities at all. Her death was attributed to sudden cardiac arrest. Had I not happened to have been in the room at the time I would have come in later and found her dead. Just as happened with Penelope :cry:

I have thought about beautiful Penelope so much. It was absolutely tragic that you lost her :cry: I would think the only thing it could have been was an ‘ electrical ‘ problem with her heart. Rather like what happened to Christien Erikson (Footballer) last weekend when he had a cardiac arrest on the pitch. I would think a problem with the heart rhythm would be very hard to identify on a PM once the heart has stopped.

A few years ago I had a large breed Rabbit called Maya who literally dropped dead in front of me. She was perfectly well and was in her litter tray chomping hay. She hopped out to come over to me, lurched forward and died. Despite all attempts to revive her I failed. A detailed PM came up with no abnormalities at all. Her death was attributed to sudden cardiac arrest. Had I not happened to have been in the room at the time I would have come in later and found her dead. Just as happened with Penelope :cry:

Yea I'm thinking that. Michael was in the room with her when it happened staring at her, she was eating hay, then tried to get up and her back legs went weird apparently then she fell down and died and I rushed in :( so sounds very similar tbh :(

Back