• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clementine isn't eating

Oh, I get so frustrated with mediocre vets. :( I really hope Clementine improves but if not if there's anybody at the vet's you think might be better than the last she saw, perhaps poke them about the BG and see if they'll run one.
Poor Clem and poor you. I'm sending healing vibes with all due speed and hugs for you. xxxxx

I suggest sub q fluids to hydrate anything in her gut (you knew I would). Oral fluids if she will take any. Did she feel empty when you took her to vets? If empty, try small amount of syringe feed since eating can stimulate gut movement.
Checking glucose is a basic skill and does not need much blood. Even if vet did not know how to interpret the test, vet should have checked glucose level.
Has she had prior events like this?
Sending vibes for you all.

I suggest sub q fluids to hydrate anything in her gut (you knew I would). Oral fluids if she will take any. Did she feel empty when you took her to vets? If empty, try small amount of syringe feed since eating can stimulate gut movement.
Checking glucose is a basic skill and does not need much blood. Even if vet did not know how to interpret the test, vet should have checked glucose level.
Has she had prior events like this?
Sending vibes for you all.
Hahaha yea I'm always glad you say it tho, coz sometimes I forget how effective it can be!

Honestly she's still pooping but not really eating, I assume the poop will stop soon tho.

Yea it's so simple even I can do it. He said the ones he had only worked for cats and dogs... I did try but it was pointless.

She's not had stasis in years tbh.

She's 3.65kg atm so not bad for her 😂 I can never really tell with her she's so solid. I hope she starts to nibble more

sorry you're girl isn't well...& that you have this to worry about on top of your grief. Do you have any sow thistle in your garden? the anger biting reminded me of Joeys last stasis episode & I was poking him with sow thistle, he went to bite it in annoyance & started eating. I've always used it as a key plant to tempt anorexic buns. Long shot - but if you did have some around . I can imagine how gutted you are about William leaving too. Rubbish vet consults are really difficult to manage
Thanks xx

I don't actually, maybe I can look for some tomorrow when I walk Freddie, I'll try anything

Yea the vet situation isn't easy, plus where William has moved to doesn't seem to even know if he works there or not.. Idk. All a mess!

It is always a good sign when they try to eat then stop. It makes syringe feeding easier too if they want to eat. Sending vibes.

I hope she is back to her usual self soon. It’s good she is nibbling on the herbs. Can you try her on some bramble leaves ?

I just noticed you said on another thread she suffers from bladder sludge, could it be that that is bothering her?

I just noticed you said on another thread she suffers from bladder sludge, could it be that that is bothering her?
Don't think so it's well controlled and monitored now. Has been for a few years now. Plus she's not straining etc atm.

Glad to hear that she’s started to nibble some food. Am I right in thinking she has some arthritis as a result of the orthopaedic surgery she had a few years ago ? If so it might be this is giving her more discomfort now, or she jarred herself aggravating the arthritis so an episode of more acute pain occurred. When Endeavour’s arthritic pain was in a flare up he would stop eating. Upping his doses of meloxicam and paracetamol for a few days helped. Sometimes he needed Tramadol too.He didn’t have to stay on high doses long term, just to get him through a flare up. If Clem’ does have arthritis I can highly recommend laser therapy. I bought one which I am also able to use on myself 😀

So glad she is eating veggies and she has some output. Sending vibes she is soon back to being her usual self!

Thanks everyone :) found some strung together poops just now, so it's her moult, it's what did for Atticus too :/

Back