• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penelope is dead

Graciee

Staff member
Idek what happened, Michael called me in a panic saying Penelope was making a noise and something wasn't right I rushed downstairs and she'd just died..

Obviously I'm gunna take her to William tomorrow and get a post mortem, I need to make sure it's not something that Apricot can have also Idk what happened..

Apparently she was sneezing a little then lost control of her back legs and that was it.. Was very quick :'( I'm in pieces :'(

I know it's impossible to know but anyone have any guesses wtf could've happened? Apricot has sniffed her lots and is eating still I'm so worried ima lose her too :'(

I'm so sorry. Have no idea what it could be. It is such a shock when bunnies die suddenly like this. I've only ever had one post mortem done after an unexpected death (the vet didn't charge me as she wanted to know what it was too) and it was inconclusive. I've had other bunnies die suddenly without any prior warning who haven't seemed unwell at all. I am so sorry for your loss xx

Oh no :cry: I’m so very sorry. They are so fragile sometimes. I’m thinking of you and sending hugs xx

She was fine a few hours ago, she ran up for a treat, they both did, I just don't understand :'( gunna ring my vet as soon as they open :'(

I can't believe I was a minute too late to get there for her, I keep thinking what if she was choking or something, but Michael said it was sneezing.. Idek I can't stop crying

I'm so sorry Graicee, I can't find any words :( You must be in shock. I know bunnies can go really suddenly & for them its a blessing to go without illness & pain but for you unbelievably heartbreaking. I hope the vet can give some answers xx

I wish I could replace that with what I said. I'm very confused. I'm so sorry Graciee. This is so sad. :|

I'm cleaning Apricots area out now, incase there was something there, idek if this is the right move or not but ima sterilise everything. I just can't understand how this happened. At least it was quick I guess :'( Apricot and Penelope loved each other so so much idek what this means for her :'( I'm sure they're vaccinated, they had the triple last August time I think? Gunna check, I'm like second guessing everything rn

I'm sorry Gracie, I'm sure you are well aware that our bunnies are fragile little creatures who hide any illness. If neither you or Michael noticed anything wrong, then it is just one of those things
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I'm sorry Gracie, I'm sure you are well aware that our bunnies are fragile little creatures who hide any illness. If neither you or Michael noticed anything wrong, then it is just one of those things
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Yea, I just normally am more in tune with my buns :'( maybe I'm too distracted now idek :'(

Thank you everyone for the comments, I really do appreciate it, I'm just such a mess rn :'(

Oh Graciee, I'm gutted to see this post. I'm so very sorry, what a horrible shock. :cry:

I hope your vet can find some answers for you. Sometimes though, even when we see they're unwell, something will take them suddenly. Please be kind to yourselves. You've always taken such wonderful care of your bunnies.
Sending (((((((huge hugs))))))) your way.

Sweet dreams Penelope:cry: xxxxx

I am so sorry [emoji22] I feel so much sadness for other members when this happens.

You know we are here for you and never feel afraid to have a good cry. I know it’s probably hurting in your chest right now but it’s because she was so loved. I hope you take care of yourself.

Xxxxx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am so sorry to hear about Penelope [emoji22] It is so sad to lose a bun and I feel your pain. Try not to punish yourself x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry Graciee :cry: What a horrid shock. I hope you find some answers and that Apricot is OK. Sending loads of hugs.

Back