• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OH **** Fox Scraping at my Kitchen Door.......

Is there nothing that deters foxes?

A rottweiler usually works. ;) I'd open the door, loudly scream :censored: OFF! at him and chase him down the garden either waving your arms or banging something loudly like a couple of pan lids. Scare the bejeezus out of him every time he comes near and he'll start going somewhere else eventually. Urban foxes really are very bold and cheeky as they have no fear of people. They won't attack people so will run away if you chase them, but they are very intelligent and great opportunists, so never underestimate them.

I live on a main road and we have a pair that live about 200 yards away that regularly raise cubs - not this year though. I think the dog fox has lost his mate because I haven't heard or seen the vixen for months. I feel a bit sorry for him as he looks quite forlorn and tries to make friends with my dogs - he follows us at a discrete distance at night and sits waiting for us if he's in front. He's a total nuisance as the dogs want to eat him. Luckily Frank lives in the Fort Knox of bunny abodes right now and Mr Fox would need his own power tools to get at him.

Last edited:
omg i totally understand how you feel i saw a fox in the neighbours garden a few days or so agoand at first i sort of thought it looked quite pretty until the o/h said he can prob smell the buns and that was it we needed to go out and i really didnt want to go luckily people were starting to get up and the fox went and ive not seen it again plus theres now people living next door who have a dog so i doubt he'll be back

OMG Jane it's so scary that they can come into your home - I have seen on here that mens urine normally deters them::shock:oops: Have you got a male friend that can oblige with a few "samples" to spray around the edge of the garden to stop them entering:oops:

Hugh FW does two things to deter foxes......stockings full of hair (just take it out of your brush) and human pee........It's a bit gross but worth a try maybe?

The only thing else I can think off that has'nt been mentioned yet(I think:oops:) is if the fox comes back into the garden a good blast from a hose pipe should have it running off:roll:& it'll soon learn if you have to do it a couple of times:D
TBH I like foxes & have handled them in the past & they are very much like dogs (yes I know they are the same family) in the way they like to be played with & stroked. The last one I handled was great & loved her nose being rubbed:lol:but when my wife went to stroke her the fox nipped my wife:shock:

OH.....fox scraping at my kitchen door...

OMG how scary for you:shock:I have tried everything to keep the foxes out of my house:cry:nothing works in fact they seem to get worse the more you try:evil:
I have a wire gate fixed in my back door so that i can let some air in and try to keep the pesky foxes out:evil:
I "know" that they will kill my kittens if they can get them:cry:they have already tried to get my old cat (18) she is not allowed out any more:cry:#
There is nothing i can do to stop them:shock:I have tried the Enviromental health plus the RSPCA which was a complete waste of time apparently they all have "no policy" on foxes:shock:
I don,t let my bunnies out into their run anymore for that reason:cry:the foxes will kill them so they are know prisoners:evil:
I am having a huge run made and they will have to go out into that instead of having the freedom of their own run:cry::evil:

Wow, I have always loved urban foxes and thought how great it was humanity wasn't destroying life for all creatures. Now though I am not so sure, I can't believe they would get into the house...and by the sounds of it so many houses. How scary is that! I wonder if they would go near sleeping babies as well, icky thought.

Sorry about Ronan, that must have been awful :(

Emma

Blimey - going inside someones house and sleeping!

If it's getting harder and harder for foxes to get a meal, and humans aren't putting any fear in them, then perhaps they are turning to the 'easy targets'.

A friend down the road has chickens free range in her garden. She has a dog too but a fox still came out of the bushes the other day while they were all in the garden and took a chicken from right under their nose:shock:. Wasn't scared by the people at all. They have kept their chickens penned up since but have seen the fox lying in wait so feel it may be only a matter of time before it tries again:shock::shock:

fox scraping at the kitchen door.

My neighbour has a cat flap and every morning when she gets up she finds the vixen asleep on her sofa:)not just that but they poop in her kitchen:shock::oops:
I can no longer have house rabbits as the fox went upstairs where my bunnies were "safe" in my bedroom and attacked one (her head was in the foxes mouth):shock:luckily my vet managed to save her but keeping bunnies indoors in not a viable option thanks to them:evil:
I have trouble keeping them out of my house and am terrified that they will get in and kill my kitties:cry:and other cat:evil:several of my neighbours have lost their cats to foxes:cry::evil:
It,s a hopeless situation:cry:there really is nothing that you can do but keep trying to outwit them:roll:
I have seen at least ten in my garden in the morning all hungry and as it gets colder they get even more desperate so will go to greater lengths to get food:cry:

To be honest i think there needs to be a urban fox cull really there are getting to many of them in towns and this would increase the chance of a disease outbreak both affecting foxes and dogs proberly i know its not nice to say that they have to be culled as they all have rights to live but i have seen 3 this year very poorly with mange so that thier skin was weeping poor souls:cry:

We don't get any foxes on my street luckily, too many cats and dogs around, but I still worry and I beg my Gran to let me set my rabbit hutches up in the shed at night (I'm only allowed to use the shed for winter, the rabbits WILL be house bunnies when I get my own place) because Gran encourages birds in the garden, and mice are around too so I'm scared all the prey animals will attract a fox.

if I hear any noise in the night I always wake up and check the hutches, I'm that scared.

Back