• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny won't free roam

HanBun

New Kit
Hi

So I've had my rabbit about 3/4 weeks now. I have in in the kitchen dining area as this is where I work from home from, and ideal starter area as there's not much he can get into. Was going to then open up the free roam area to the hallway, and then the living room but only when I'm home. My kitchen/dining isn't particularly huge, almost like a galley kitchen with a dining area at the end (which is where he is)

But he won't leave the bottom end where the dining area is. I've tried everything. I used to have him in a pen, then started leaving the door open which he started to leave and venture round the perimeter of his pen. He then kept moving the sides around so decided to take it down and he seems fine. Stays under the dining table quite a bit, or in his hidey house, but im fine with that. I've put cardboard boxes around and made tunnels to try and make him feel more comfortable heading up that way.

I feel like we're bonding a lot better, even getting some scratches on his head and he lowers his head down in acceptence. He stays in that position even if I take my hand away. Mind you this can only be done while he's under the table. I have tried sitting further away and he come to me and eats a few pellets out of my hand, has a sceptical look around about then hops back to his place under the dining table, he'll come back and forwards a few times then when he's had enough and realises I don't have more he goes away and lays down. Legs stretched out, very comfortable. If I approach him, he gets up and comes to me and sniffs around me, but then goes back to lying down. But he will not go up to the top of the kitchen or hang about there long enough. He's just not interested in being there. I've been stuffing his pellets and hay in toilet rolls, trying different enrichment things.

So I've been pretty much living off my kitchen floor for the past 4 weeks! I work from the dining table, then when works done I'm sitting on the kitchen floor, trying to interact with him. I'm watching my tablet on the floor, instead of on the sofa on an actual TV. I've not seen my living room for weeks 😂

Ive now tried sectioning the kitchen area in half with his pen, as I thought maybe it will make him be a bit braver if he know he has own area again. I was wondering about moving his to the living room, but I don't want him free roaming in there unattended, for now anyway. And I don't think he'd appreciate being housed back in the pen again. How can I get him to leave the kitchen and free roam further? Or is this a pure patience thing? Any tips?

I'm just wondering what the flooring is like. He may be reluctant to move much if the floor is slippy (eg lino), in which case you may need some rugs or runners.
Food is usually a good way to get him to explore. Pellets can be scattered on the floor or put in a treat ball. Greens or forage can be randomly placed further and further away from his usual base.

Is the flooring the same on the area he won’t venture onto ? Many Rabbits don’t like hopping on hard flooring like tiles, Lino or wood as the traction is poor and they can slip as they hop.

Using rugs can help if this is the problem

If the area is very open then having a few small hide-aways dotted about can help, so he has somewhere dark and safe he can get into.

Thank you for the replies.

I have put a few rugs down, one under the dining table, one that goes along the length of the window next to the dining table and I long one up the kitchen, but not all the floor area is covered. There is a gap at the very top of the kitchen. This could very well be the problem!
But when I've been sitting on the floor I've been putting a blanket down to make it more comfortable!

Looks like I'm going rug shopping again!

Thank you for the replies.

I have put a few rugs down, one under the dining table, one that goes along the length of the window next to the dining table and I long one up the kitchen, but not all the floor area is covered. There is a gap at the very top of the kitchen. This could very well be the problem!
But when I've been sitting on the floor I've been putting a blanket down to make it more comfortable!

Looks like I'm going rug shopping again!

Try Charity Shops. You can obtain some real bargains

Back