• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Bill and John-Boy Boblet -U/D 1400hrs ....OMFG!!

I know you are against doing dentals without a GA Jane, but perhaps it would be in the Boblets best interest to do so.

Audrey never seems to have a problem just having gas, nor other bunns I have had...and Esmerelda had severe maloclussion requiring burring of her molars every 4 weeks- sometimes she had a GA, sometimes gas.

I don't want to get jumped on here, but I have to ask. Would it be kinder to PTS? I'm not saying this is what you should do, i'm just curious to see the response. Just if they're going to have their life expectancy shortened, have to go under GA ever few months and with all the possible effects that incurrs, as well as costing you a small fortune. It just crossed my mind as to whats the fairest course of action for the rabbits in question. But then its a long long time since I've had a dental bun so i don't know how well they're likely to recover between ops and what their quality of life would be. I'm sure you know far more about that than I do Jane and I'm sure you'll do whats best for them.

Please don't all jump on me, its just a question.

I don't want to get jumped on here, but I have to ask. Would it be kinder to PTS? I'm not saying this is what you should do, i'm just curious to see the response. Just if they're going to have their life expectancy shortened, have to go under GA ever few months and with all the possible effects that incurrs, as well as costing you a small fortune. It just crossed my mind as to whats the fairest course of action for the rabbits in question. But then its a long long time since I've had a dental bun so i don't know how well they're likely to recover between ops and what their quality of life would be. I'm sure you know far more about that than I do Jane and I'm sure you'll do whats best for them.

i have a couple of dental buns & would NEVER consider having them pts because of it.
Yes their life expectancy might possibly be reduced but they can still enjoy a good quality of life & think having them pts is just the easy & selfish option for the owner, aslong as the rabbit is happy in itself.

When i had my 1st dental bun, quite a few yrs ago i was advised by a breeder to have him pts as he was `useless` in her words!:evil: Needless to say i didn`t & he enjoyed a good quality of life for many yrs.

Sorry but i find the attitude of pts a bunny with ongoing health problems absolutely maddening!

Su.x

I think things have moved on quite far in the last few years in terms of dentals. I've had a few dental bunns (not caused by myself) and they all seem to cope quite well with it, although I personally think not using a GA is preferrable as it does not have long term affects and the recovery is quicker.

i have a couple of dental buns & would NEVER consider having them pts because of it.
Yes their life expectancy might possibly be reduced but they can still enjoy a good quality of life & think having them pts is just the easy & selfish option for the owner, aslong as the rabbit is happy in itself.

When i had my 1st dental bun, quite a few yrs ago i was advised by a breeder to have him pts as he was `useless` in her words!:evil: Needless to say i didn`t & he enjoyed a good quality of life for many yrs.

Sorry but i find the attitude of pts a bunny with ongoing health problems absolutely maddening!

Su.x

I said please don't jump on me, i didn't say its what i would do, nor was I saying thats what jane should do. I was asking because I personally haven't had a dental bun in over 10 years so don't know what their quality of life is like now. If you've had dental buns with good quality of life then thats great, and if the Boblets will have good quality of life then no, they definately shouldn't be PTS.

I do wish people on here would read posts more throughly and possibly be a little more patient.

Oh god so sorry to hear of the dental problems these guys have Jane - glad they came through their op ok - deary me I bet this aint gonna do the purse strings any good is it :(

Firstly to answer Mandy's question, the Dentals cant be done without GA due to the fact that its the very back molars that are involved. They will not only require the spurs burring off but also the crowns will need reshaping to give the best possible occlusal surface and thus *possibly* reducing the frequency of treatments.
Stress alone can impact on renal function and IMO a concious Dental is stressful for a Bun. Also, there is a reall risk of accidental injury to the blood vessels around the togue (this area is VERY vascular) should the Bun 'jump' during treatment. Once a blood vessel is cut a Bun can bleed to death as its often impossible to find the bleeding point.
Christobel always uses a tongue protector during dentals to insure the vascular area is not damaged by the Dental burr.

On to WalnutEarths question. I would NEVER routinely PTS a Rabbit with malocclusion. Everybun will be assessed on an individual basis. If some cannot cope with the repeated treatments and their quality of life is affected the relevent decision will be made in consultation with my trusted and skillful Vet.
I would never EVER PTS a Rabbit for 'economic' reasons

Janex

Firstly to answer Mandy's question, the Dentals cant be done without GA due to the fact that its the very back molars that are involved. They will not only require the spurs burring off but also the crowns will need reshaping to give the best possible occlusal surface and thus *possibly* reducing the frequency of treatments.
Stress alone can impact on renal function and IMO a concious Dental is stressful for a Bun. Also, there is a reall risk of accidental injury to the blood vessels around the togue (this area is VERY vascular) should the Bun 'jump' during treatment. Once a blood vessel is cut a Bun can bleed to death as its often impossible to find the bleeding point.
Christobel always uses a tongue protector during dentals to insure the vascular area is not damaged by the Dental burr.

On to WalnutEarths question. I would NEVER routinely PTS a Rabbit with malocclusion. Everybun will be assessed on an individual basis. If some cannot cope with the repeated treatments and their quality of life is affected the relevent decision will be made in consultation with my trusted and skillful Vet.I would never EVER PTS a Rabbit for 'economic' reasons

Janex

Thanks for answering my question Jane. Agreed some may cope better than others so would need to have individual decisions made.

I have my fingers very firmly crossed that the Boblets cope well with their dentals and live long happy lives.

I said please don't jump on me, i didn't say its what i would do, nor was I saying thats what jane should do. I was asking because I personally haven't had a dental bun in over 10 years so don't know what their quality of life is like now. If you've had dental buns with good quality of life then thats great, and if the Boblets will have good quality of life then no, they definately shouldn't be PTS.

I do wish people on here would read posts more throughly and possibly be a little more patient.

I didn`t mean it to sound like i was jumping on you, but i hear people say too often when a bunny has health problems ` just pts` & i`m afraid it really winds me up!

Sorry was just expressing my opinion.

Su.x

Walnut Earth I see what you were saying and I dont think you can judge everybody else's situation by your own. There are different extremes of dental buns and if I had a dental bun where the bun was suffering in any way or deteriorating due to multiple ops, I would certainly choose to pts. Its nothing to do with economical reasons its all to do with the fact I couldnt let an animal suffer - its ashame you feel you have been jumped on as it was a valid point IMO :rolleyes:

Oh Jane, I'm so sorry to hear that these poor little ones have dental problems:cry: . I so hope that their teeth won't get any worse as they get older. At least you know and can do something about it. They are in the best care with you

Back