• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How cold is too cold? (Indoor)

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Debated whether this belonged here or in Health so sorry if it's in the wrong place :oops:

Just wondered if anyone knew how cold would be too cold indoors for a bun and when steps need to be taken.
Long story short we have another winter without heating (gas boiler broke down a couple of years back, for complicated reasons we can't fix it until next spring at the earliest) but unlike last year we can't afford to just run electric heaters.
All the buns are indoors and don't go outside in winter but I'm wondering at what point I should worry about the room being too cold for them? It's currently 6-7c indoors depending on which room you're in, it's very cold today :shock:.

All buns are mobile with no health issues as such that would make them less mobile, though Jazzie has always seemed to get colder than the others. Harley is also a rex with shorter fur than the rest (and smaller than breed average) so I am a bit more worried for him.
They have those foam childrens play mats as flooring in their pens (reflect heat back really well!) covered with fleece blankets + lots of hay in their boxes but I'm wondering if/when I should intervene. We have electric oil radiators which I can plug in and put on if absolutely necessary, though would have to turn them off again at night so temp would drop again. Not sure if that temp change would be more harmful than having them on?

I don't think those temperatures are a problem.. Buns will be living outside in freezing conditions!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

From what you have described there shouldn't be any need for worry. It sounds like they have ample warmth. Mine are all outside and I have been a little anxious over some of them, Lily who is 12.5 now but she has Charley to sit next to and extra Hay, so she seems ok. We have come through 12 winters but you do worry as they get older. There was ice in some of the water bowls today. Last winter I had a small Rabbit who started shivering and he was in the shed with his friend so I brought them in but hopefully he will have a thicker coat this year as he had been a house Rabbit in his previous home.

They should be Ok. If you are worried, you could get a Snugglesafe heatpad to microwave for them & put under a pile of hay. They stay warm enough at least all night. It's useful to have in anyway eg for poorly furries.

Back