• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bun wont eat hay

Toffee pops

Alpha Buck
My house bun toffee wont eat hay,we have tried many ways to temp him from putting hay in cardboard boxes, hay racks and cutting his rabbit food right down, has anyone experianced the same as me or got any suggestions?.

Have you tried the samples ones from hay for pets to see what type of hay he likes. Doughnut loves the timothy hay, no interest in the other two. The excel herbage is quite a tempting hay too.

what about putting a few bits of grated carrot in it, so that once he eats a bit of carrot he may also have a bit of hay and that may get his interest.

What ones have you tried so far?

What kind of hay is it? Might be because there's yellow bits... my bun only eats the small green bits. Try grabbing the best bits and shoving it in front of his face. He'll eat it then.

What kind of hay is it? Might be because there's yellow bits... my bun only eats the small green bits. Try grabbing the best bits and shoving it in front of his face. He'll eat it then.

That's interesting, doughnut loves the yellow stalky bits! Every bun has different tastes. It's just finding what they like.

I would take the boxes away and give him apple sticks or will to chew on. You don't want him getting a blockage.

Have you tried the samples ones from hay for pets to see what type of hay he likes. Doughnut loves the timothy hay, no interest in the other two. The excel herbage is quite a tempting hay too.

what about putting a few bits of grated carrot in it, so that once he eats a bit of carrot he may also have a bit of hay and that may get his interest.

What ones have you tried so far?

Hes tried the meadow hay not intersted and the same with pets at home hay and a bale that i get so im totally lost, but will try some samples that u said and the carrots thing thx.

Doughnut doesn't really like meadow hay, she likes the stalky stuff so timothy hay is her choice. I put all three samples down from hay 4 pets and she just went mad for the timothy and rye. No interest in ings or meadow but i know a lot of bunnies on her love the ings.

What type of hay did you get from pets at home?

You can get a sample pack of different hays from HayforPets - it is free, you just pay postage.
How many pellets do you feed? Do you give treats?

Doughnut doesn't really like meadow hay, she likes the stalky stuff so timothy hay is her choice. I put all three samples down from hay 4 pets and she just went mad for the timothy and rye. No interest in ings or meadow but i know a lot of bunnies on her love the ings.

What type of hay did you get from pets at home?

Im not sure hun, thx for your advice i will get some samples and go from there.

You can get a sample pack of different hays from HayforPets - it is free, you just pay postage.
How many pellets do you feed? Do you give treats?

He has a handful a day which is way to much,and cabbage or sprouts as a treat most days.

He has a handful a day which is way to much,and cabbage or sprouts as a treat most days.

I would advise very gradually cutting down his pellets until he is having an eggcupful a day. That way he should be hungry and will encourage more hay eating. Leafy green veg are good!

Do you give him hay in his litter tray?

No, hes just allways been fussy about hay we thought we had cracked it then his girlfriend started poohing an peeing in the hay box so i bought a rack but hes not interested and if i put a box back bella will go back to poohing init as shes very teritorial lol.

I'd also suggest getting a sample pack from Hay for pets :thumb: Peter wasn't a big hay eater, initially I bought him P@H timothy hay, then I went onto burgess yet he still wasn't keen and a lot was getting wasted. I then tried a sample pack and he loved them all! I now get a large bag (believe its tim and rye??) and it lasted ages! I was worried that it was an expensive way of buying hay but its worked out far cheaper and he spends all day munching on it!

Back