• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hes still a bit weird?

How old is he? I don't think age has anything to do with eating habits. My 7 year old eats quicker than my 2 year olds.

I wouldn't chance it tbh, I thought Poppy was fine. She was still eating but it wasn't 'right'. So I left it. She stopped eating one day, took her to the vets and the whole inside of her mouth was completely ripped up because of spurs :( she had massive problems.. And I left it too late. She didn't eat by herself for 2 months, we had to syringe feed her daily and she very nearly died. She was reduced to a bag of bones in days.

Unfortunately these costs can come with ownership, because of my mistake of not getting Poppy to the vets asap I'm now paying for dentals at least once a year. Which is actually very good for a dental rabbit.

Because of Poppy I have the others on a mainly hay diet, no veg. Just hay and forage, maybe about 5 pellets a day just to try and prevent the issues Poppy has.

It might not be though, but you won't know until he sees a vet.

hes mainly on pellets as he wont eat much hay. wish he would it would be easier.

hes mainly on pellets as he wont eat much hay. wish he would it would be easier.

Have you tried reducing the pellets and trying a different type of hay? Mine go crazy for ings and timothy&rye from hay for pets, the £16 is much more cost effective and can last ages. Hay from pet shops like p@h can be quite choppy and short, when I used to shop there I bought a bag and none of mine touched it. Also mixing forage/grass in can help.

Trust me when I say I know it would be so much easier if they ate what we wanted them to. Poppy is on a pellet only diet, she can't eat hay because her teeth are so messed up now. Half soggy/half hard pellets. But she's going to the vets on Tuesday as she is due a check up for her teeth. It's been about 7 months since her last dental which is good.

Have you tried reducing the pellets and trying a different type of hay? Mine go crazy for ings and timothy&rye from hay for pets, the £16 is much more cost effective and can last ages. Hay from pet shops like p@h can be quite choppy and short, when I used to shop there I bought a bag and none of mine touched it. Also mixing forage/grass in can help.

Trust me when I say I know it would be so much easier if they ate what we wanted them to. Poppy is on a pellet only diet, she can't eat hay because her teeth are so messed up now. Half soggy/half hard pellets. But she's going to the vets on Tuesday as she is due a check up for her teeth. It's been about 7 months since her last dental which is good.

i dont know but i bought him the hay that he use to go mad for. he had a couple of nibbles but that was it. i have got some money at moment its suppose to be for his hutch though. part of it is my bday money as well :(

i dont know but i bought him the hay that he use to go mad for. he had a couple of nibbles but that was it. i have got some money at moment its suppose to be for his hutch though. part of it is my bday money as well :(

he didnt even take the fenregreck crunchy off me and hes not had one of those in a while. he doesnt always take them off me but he was not interested at all.

Have you tried mixing his pellets in his hay. My bunnies like to dig around and they eat hay whilst doing so. You've mentioned he's eaten some carpet as well, it could have clogged up his tummy.

My vets don't always charge for a standard health check. You're obviously worried and you'll be really upset if you don't take him and something happens. What's the harm of checking he's just being fussy. Scooter may not be able to show he's unwell and may be hiding it. As bunny mum it's your job to make sure he's ok. Plus it will stop you worrying :)

Just think when you go off your food your generally unwell. Of he's not accepting crunchies then I really think you should take him.

Last edited:
Have you tried mixing his pellets in his hay. My bunnies like to dig around and they eat hay whilst doing so. You've mentioned he's eaten some carpet as well, it could have clogged up his tummy.

he has always done it. ive tried my best to make sure he hasnt but u know what bunnies are like lol hes eaten lino too but thats was a while ago now and i monitiored him for about a month afterwards everything was normal.

i would put his pellets in with his hay but his hay is in his litter tray. plus how wud i know if hes eaten it or not?

hes been on 75g of pellets a day but atm hes only eating 50g. he mostly had the 75 as he went through a period of only eating his pellets wudnt touch hay apart to throw it around. i did that in the hopes of preventing gi statis.

Just updated my post again.

Mine eat carpet annoyingly after I've attempted numerous covers but Pierre has stopped eating in the past.

The pellets aren't the important issue as long as you see him eating hay. The hay is the best thing for buns keeps their teeth nice and short.

Just updated my post again.

Mine eat carpet annoyingly after I've attempted numerous covers but Pierre has stopped eating in the past.

The pellets aren't the important issue as long as you see him eating hay. The hay is the best thing for buns keeps their teeth nice and short.

i havent seen him eat any today he has a load in his cage at least 2 piles. but i ran out the other week but this week theres loads i know i should not have left a gap but i didnt know i had run out until i went to clean him out and then i didnt have enought money cause it was bill week so i had to leave it.

I would strongly advise you get him a dental check ASAP especially seeing as he has had a period of time without hay. Most vets will offer a free dental check. Any chances in behavior/diet need to be taken seriously.

My vets don't always charge for a standard health check. You're obviously worried and you'll be really upset if you don't take him and something happens. What's the harm of checking he's just being fussy. Scooter may not be able to show he's unwell and may be hiding it. As bunny mum it's your job to make sure he's ok. Plus it will stop you worrying :)

Just think when you go off your food your generally unwell. Of he's not accepting crunchies then I really think you should take him.

lol hes always been fussy though lol

Has he got hay to munch on now?

yes his litter tray is full of it has been since monday i added more yesterday and that was his fav. gonna clean him out tmmorow and put fresh in again. he generally munches down on it then. dont like it when i empty his litter tray out lol

We're fussy and we refuse to eat foods we don't like so why can't scooter? I don't think you've found the right hay for him
Yet. Are you going to take him to the vets?

Just saw your up date it's good he's got plenty of hay.

Do you offer fresh hay a few times a day? I aim to give at least 2 handfuls 3 times a day for mine as well as daily clean outs, fresh hay always gets eaten straight away, rabbits don't really tend to bother with hay after they've had it a while.

We're fussy and we refuse to eat foods we don't like so why can't scooter? I don't think you've found the right hay for him
Yet. Are you going to take him to the vets?

Just saw your up date it's good he's got plenty of hay.

i think i will do im gonna be gone from sat til wednesday might be coming back to check up on him on monday but id rather not have to worry about bunny boy while im gone. i mean i do anyways but when your bunnies even the slightest bit poorly u dont like to be away from them :(

Do you offer fresh hay a few times a day? I aim to give at least 2 handfuls 3 times a day for mine as well as daily clean outs, fresh hay always gets eaten straight away, rabbits don't really tend to bother with hay after they've had it a while.

no i cant as im at work unfortunately he spends most of his time on his own :( i aim to spend at least an hour before bed with him on my chest all cuddled up but doesnt always happen. :(

i think i will do im gonna be gone from sat til wednesday might be coming back to check up on him on monday but id rather not have to worry about bunny boy while im gone. i mean i do anyways but when your bunnies even the slightest bit poorly u dont like to be away from them :(

If your going to be gone that long I really would. You'll feel so much better taking him to be checked over. Are your vets open on a sat?

Back