• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hal - U/D 4TH Feb- Remaining With us For Now

(((big hugs))) I really understand how you are feeling especially as he seems so bright. My Bonnie was the same and the guilt and the pain was just so :cry: But now I know it was best for her. Is pts really the best option for Hal? I'm sure if you and the vet think so then it probably is. If he is in pain or flat all day he needs to be released and I think its the biggest most precious gift you can give him now, let him go in peace and dignity. But I know saying this will not make it easier in the slightest Jane :(

I wish I could make it all better for you and the bunnies, I'll be thinking of both of you tomorrow as well as Hal's Mrs, I just wish someone could be with you afterward. Bless you both, I'm sending huge vibes for tomorrow xxx

It has been arranged that he will be PTS on Monday at 1015am. He is 9 years of age, he has chronic lung disease and cancer :cry: At the moment he is OK within himself, but he is skeletal and today his respiratory rate is markedly increased, his tumour is also much bigger :cry: He is on medication to keep him pain free and comfortable and he will be having lots of treats, anything he wants when he wants.

I am about to loose another much loved Rabbit

This year is going to be so hard

:cry:

So sorry to hear this :cry:

My thoughts are with you :(

(((big hugs))) I really understand how you are feeling especially as he seems so bright. My Bonnie was the same and the guilt and the pain was just so :cry: But now I know it was best for her. Is pts really the best option for Hal? I'm sure if you and the vet think so then it probably is. If he is in pain or flat all day he needs to be released and I think its the biggest most precious gift you can give him now, let him go in peace and dignity. But I know saying this will not make it easier in the slightest Jane :(

I wish I could make it all better for you and the bunnies, I'll be thinking of both of you tomorrow as well as Hal's Mrs, I just wish someone could be with you afterward. Bless you both, I'm sending huge vibes for tomorrow xxx

He is neither. He is sitting here next to me eating like a Horse

But I know his body is riddled with cancer and he barely has any lung function.

I have no idea how he remains so bright within himself, certainly the steroid he had 48 hours ago will still be playing a big part

Do I let him go tomorrow when he is like this, do I give him 3-4 more days and wait til the steroid wears off and he deteriorates, do I risk him having another choking episode ?

I just feel totally over-whelmed.

I actually feel ill from it all

I will see what C says tomorrow

If it is not tomorrow that Hals leaves us, it will be one day this week I am sure

I wish I still drank alcohol, I NEED oblivion right now

He is neither. He is sitting here next to me eating like a Horse

But I know his body is riddled with cancer and he barely has any lung function.

I have no idea how he remains so bright within himself, certainly the steroid he had 48 hours ago will still be playing a big part

Do I let him go tomorrow when he is like this, do I give him 3-4 more days and wait til the steroid wears off and he deteriorates, do I risk him having another choking episode ?

I just feel totally over-whelmed.

I actually feel ill from it all

I will see what C says tomorrow

If it is not tomorrow that Hals leaves us, it will be one day this week I am sure

I wish I still drank alcohol, I NEED oblivion right now

I'm so sorry Jane :( I think you both need a release. If Hal has to pass over, it might be better to let him go while he is still out on top rather than when he is struggling to cope with the cancer, poor boy. Only you and C will know best though but I am sure whatever you both decide Hal will be happy and grateful for all the love, care and happiness you have given him. You are a gift to rabbits Jane xx

I wish there was an easy answer. I have only had to make that decision once with our cat of 17.5 years. Was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

I know you and C will know if it is right or not tomorrow. It will be painful either way and you have been incredibly strong.

You will be in my thoughts.

He certainly looks bright in those photos. It's amazing how well bunnies can do even with dire health issues.
Jane you and C have a long history of being able to help so many, whether it be to PTS or to continue. Your judgement is impeccable. You both make such a good team.
Nothing I can say will assuage the pain you are feeling. I am so sorry. I wish there were anything I could do to help with that. :(
I know it's so hard to decide. So hard sometimes to tell what is the best. But as hard as it is, I know you will find the way to help Hal be as comfortable and happy as he can be, no matter the outcome. He may be able to go on a bit, or not, but you know how to listen to him and let him tell you.
I feel for you. I know this is liable to be a scene repeated this year and it's so unfair. :cry:
I have been unable to stop thinking of you and Hal and Jo. I pray you are all experiencing as much peace in each moment as is possible in these circumstances.

((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))) xx

A difficult decision. When I had to have Phoebe PTS the vet told me that prey animals "hide their illness" I am sure that you will do what is best for Hal.
Hugs x

Last edited:
We feel Hal is too bright within himself to be PTS today

He is not in pain and although he is at 'end stage' of his terminal illness he is not suffering.

Hal will be reviewed tomorrow

I wont update on here any more until Hal passes. I am seemingly always posting similar threads which must appear to be very 'attention seeking'

Thank you all for your support, it is always very much appreciated xx

Just came on to see how you and Hal were doing today. Glad he is not in pain, and that you have a little more time with him. Will be thinking of you over the next few days x

We feel Hal is too bright within himself to be PTS today

He is not in pain and although he is at 'end stage' of his terminal illness he is not suffering.

Hal will be reviewed tomorrow

I wont update on here any more until Hal passes. I am seemingly always posting similar threads which must appear to be very 'attention seeking'

Thank you all for your support, it is always very much appreciated xx

Don't be silly. If we didn't want to reply....we wouldn't. Such is the joy of interweb :D

Glad you have a little more time with him :love:

I am glad to hear Hal is still with us. :)
((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) for you Jane. I've said it before, I am not opposed to your postings. Indeed I worry if I don't see updates. I just hope that you and Hal and Jo have some good time ahead of you and that when the time comes you know I am thinking of you. xx
Please give Hal and Jo some extra snuggles from me and my crew. :love:

aw Jane. I'm s sorry you've been going through this :cry: I'm glad that Hal has a bit more time with you. I do wish that they could live forever (((hugs))) Xxx

Glad he's not in pain, noserubs to the handsome wee man.
Please don't feel bad about keeping us updated.
I would rather know how he is doing personally.
*hugs* xxxxx

Back