• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eliza Doolittle- U/D 9th Feb-She's Dead :-(

So glad Eliza is feeling much better , I have always found some fresh herbs and dill go down nicely when they won't eat anything else so I don't know what
to suggest but hope she starts to eat something soon.
Blockages are not nice at all . :( Sending Eliza lots of 'eating' Vibes xxxxx

We have an Eliza Dolittle to Jane

I think the break in the night before last has set Eliza back as she is in Gut Stasis this morning. So far she hasn't bloated up again, but it would seem that we are going to have to seriously consider where to go from here regarding the adhesions. More surgery really is a last resort :cry:

Last edited:
Poor Eliza :( Sending her lots of calming and eating vibes. I hope she picks up during the day. Adhesions must be really horrible to have to deal with. Also sending you lots of hugs. What a distressing time for you.

Sorry to hear this. Also some of your stress would have affected her as well. They are very sensitive to us some of these rabbits.

C is reluctant to open Eliza up as doing so would be very likely to lead to more problems with adhesions. But she said we may have no other choice in the end :cry:

Eliza is responding to treatment and she has passed a few poos. She never totally stopped eating this time, it was her minimal output and lack of gut sounds that first alerted me to an impending stasis episode.

I guess all we can do is see how things go over the next few weeks x

C is reluctant to open Eliza up as doing so would be very likely to lead to more problems with adhesions. But she said we may have no other choice in the end :cry:

This would be my concern too :( It's such a difficult decision to make, but as C said, the choice might be made for you in the end. I really hope it doesn't come to that though for Eliza.

Adhesions I think are the cause of a lot of problems in abdominal surgery, particularly for women who have had Hysterectomies. I think that there is a reluctance to perform further surgery for them also.

Eliza is responding to treatment and she has passed a few poos. She never totally stopped eating this time, it was her minimal output and lack of gut sounds that first alerted me to an impending stasis episode.

I guess all we can do is see how things go over the next few weeks x

Pleased to hear Eliza is responding to the treatment.

This would be my concern too :( It's such a difficult decision to make, but as C said, the choice might be made for you in the end. I really hope it doesn't come to that though for Eliza.

Adhesions I think are the cause of a lot of problems in abdominal surgery, particularly for women who have had Hysterectomies. I think that there is a reluctance to perform further surgery for them also.

Rabbits are especially prone to post abdominal surgery adhesions x

Poor Eliza. I'm so sorry she's been ill again. No doubt the disturbance had some effect. I really hope she won't need surgery.
Please give her an extra snuggle from me...and one for Endeavour too so he won't feel left out. :love: xxxxxxx

The other thing we need to consider is how much Eliza hates 'hands on care'. Because she has required so much recently she is especially on edge and that is not helping her gut motility.

But if surgery (and all the intensive hands on care she'd need for some time if she pulled through) were to be her only chance of survival how could we not try ? But with the very high risk of the adhesions reforming would it be fair to try ??
I know no-one can answer that, the decision has to be mine (with the advice of my trusted Vet).

This morning Eliza is doing reasonably well, but she is obviously on high alert for the next 'hands on' session for her medication etc :cry:

Back