• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Endeavour - Updated 22nd March RIP :-(

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
He is having a bad flare up of his spinal arthritis. Because he has very little muscle tone remaining on his back end he has gone off his hind legs, he can feel them, there is no significant neurological deficit. But his back is clearly very painful and he just has no strength in his hind legs to stand up. One of his hocks is very sore too.

He is now on a cocktail of meds. At the moment he is not able to tolerate acupuncture or laser therapy as he is really stressed. We feel trying to do even more handling will be counterproductive at this point.

Any spare vibes would be very much appreciated

:cry:

Last edited:
Oh poor Endeavour. Not a very nice birthday gift to have your arthritis kick off. :( Sending vibes that he will respond to meds and feel better quickly. (((((((Healing vibes))))))

I've just been researching laser and it's uses and apparently there are machines for home use available now. I can't imagine one would feel confident using one without assistance from a doctor or nurse, however.

I hope it's not as cold there as it is here, we're in the low 30s F tonight and Jenna's been feeling extra creaky today herself. We both very much empathize with you, Endeavour. xxxxx

Thank you everyone. Me and Endeavour have had enough of our knackered spines :cry:

At least he is still eating. Thank goodness for his ‘Rex greedy gene’. If Endeavour were to stop eating I would know that we are in big trouble.

I am sorry Endeavor is having such an awful time with his spine and hocks. I am sending him tons of feel better vibes. Hugs to you too.

Thank you everyone. To be honest I am becoming very worried about him now. He has not eaten as much as normal throughout the day and despite being on a lot of pain relief all he has done is lie stretched out. I empathise so much with him :cry:

Topping up the healing vibes and adding some greedy boosters to help Endeavour eat and pull through. And a comforting, pain easing hug for you both. xxxxx

After discussion with my Vet I have bought a Cold Laser Therapy device for Endeavour which will be delivered tomorrow. I will try it out on myself too for my Arachnoiditis pain.

This morning Endeavour seems a bit better. He has managed to run, in a wobbly way. I think he might have been too sedated by Tramadol yesterday. So he’s on a much lower dose as well as his normal doses of Metacam and Paracetamol. Obviously being on so much analgesia has significant risks. But I believe it is more important that he is in as little pain as possible, even if the use of all the drugs shortens the amount of time he has left. I believe QOL is more important than quantity. For animals and for humans.

Thank you again for your support x

I'm glad Endeavour is doing a bit better today. You're fortunate your vets still allow the use of tramadol for pain relief in pets, over here it's been discounted as useless and before that you'd have a fight on your hands to acquire any because animals were suspected of being injured and brought to clinics so the owners could get tramadol, after which it was supposedly being sold as a street drug.

You'll have to let us know how you get on with the laser. I hope it helps you both. xxxxx

When I asked for tramadol for Raven, I was told they do not think it is therapeutic in rabbits.
It is good to know Endeavour has had some improvement. It must be so difficult for you to see him with spinal pain when you deal with the awful spinal pain from your AA. I hope the cold laser therapy can give some relief to you both. Hugs.

Back