• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dillon is poorly

Glad he's got some medicine. Has he had any more eye rolling or anything? Hugs xxx

No, some head shaking but certainly nothing like my initial post. Poor boy hates me - he hates having medication and I am the one giving it, he is under the dining table washing medication off his chin and muttering rude words under his breath

No, some head shaking but certainly nothing like my initial post. Poor boy hates me - he hates having medication and I am the one giving it, he is under the dining table washing medication off his chin and muttering rude words under his breath
Oh bless him! xx

Naughty boy!

Glad he hasn't lost his attitude :)

bless. You might be able to get the strops reduced to one bunny if you give Cuthbert his panacur on a malted shreddie. Not the healthiest food but Ok for this purpose IMO though. I hope he is feeling ok generally

Thank you J&B I am really struggling, 4 syringes of meds for Dillon and 1 for Cuthbert, My boys are heavy and they are fighting me. Any help would be greatly appreciated - some lady on youtube posted about giving meds to an awkward bunny - nothing like my boys, today I have been bitten on the shoulder and there are two holes in the dog towel - helllllllppppp please...........
Tomorrow malted shreddies will be on my shopping list.

Thank you J&B I am really struggling, 4 syringes of meds for Dillon and 1 for Cuthbert, My boys are heavy and they are fighting me. Any help would be greatly appreciated - some lady on youtube posted about giving meds to an awkward bunny - nothing like my boys, today I have been bitten on the shoulder and there are two holes in the dog towel - helllllllppppp please...........

In the past I've used a small square of brown toast.
I just don't like the sugar in shreddies, but then my buns are deprived all round :lol:

I have found that these work quite well and it's not as though they will be having them longterm so they are highly unlikely to cause any harm :)

Other tricks people on here have used include making a banana and medication mash, meds on a spoon sized shredded wheat, meds inside a fresh strawberry, meds mixed into a spoonful of veg or fruit baby food.

Good luck !

I have found that these work quite well and it's not as though they will be having them longterm so they are highly unlikely to cause any harm :)

Other tricks people on here have used include making a banana and medication mash, meds on a spoon sized shredded wheat, meds inside a fresh strawberry, meds mixed into a spoonful of veg or fruit baby food.

Good luck !

Is that just for the panacur or all the meds please? thank you so much for your reply

Is that just for the panacur or all the meds please? thank you so much for your reply

I think it's what you can get away with really, but making sure all the meds go in.

Regarding the Panacur - it tastes horrible my rabbits tell me, but I have to make sure that they get it (for 28 days :shock:) when it's indicated so I actually always do that straight in the mouth.

Also, with Panacur, you ought to bleach the litter trays (1% bleach for 30 seconds) on days 21 and 28 of treatment to make sure no lingering spores reinfect the rabbit :)

I have never had a problem getting a Rabbit to take Panacur (I use the 10% Liquid) so I can administer it directly into the Bunny's mouth. But I know that several people on here have found that soaking the liquid into a malted shreddie works a treat :) Not too sure if the same applies to the Panacur paste, I have never used it. I think Baytril is the most evil tasting of the frequently prescribed oral meds. I can state that I agree, it tastes as bad as it smells !

Back