• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help. Poor rabbit is desperately ill

Thumper84

New Kit
Hi, I have a mini lop called Thumper.
He's been healthy for all 5 years of his life so far.
Just over 3 weeks ago, he started falling over and dragging his rear legs a bit.
We took him to the vet who gave anti-inflammatory and said just keep him comfortable and fed/hydrated for a few days and see if he gets better, but if he gets worse, come back.
A few days later there was no improvement so we took him back.
They gave us medication for e.cuniculi and anti-inflammatories again.
3 nights later, I was in bed and heard him screaming in pain, so rushed out to him.
He was rolling around and trying to bite the floor, I think to deal with the pain.
It was agonising to witness but I couldn't do anything.
We rushed him back and they said to think about putting him down.
He is still having these seizures sometimes averaging 1 every 2 days.
I really want to give him every chance but he's even weaker and just on his stomach all the time. I have to clean and feed him, or he just toilets all over himself. He can not move because his legs are so weak. Please help I don't know what to do.
His toilets seem ok and he's comfortable most of the time, I don't mind caring for him but I would love to get him up and about again.
He has been watering from the eyes a bit. A cataract developed at the same time this started. He keeps getting crusty stuff under his eye that needs cleaning.

Last edited:
I‘m so sorry your rabbit is so poorly 😢 I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t offer any specific advice, I’m sure other people will be along soon. Is your vet a rabbit savvy exotics vet? Sending lots of vibes.

I‘m so sorry your rabbit is so poorly 😢 I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t offer any specific advice, I’m sure other people will be along soon. Is your vet a rabbit savvy exotics vet? Sending lots of vibes.
Thank you.
Not a rabbit savvy vets, just a regular PDSA.

I'm sorry that Thumper is so poorly and obviously in pain. He really does need to be seen by a vet who is experienced in rabbits to establish what the cause of his illness is and hopefully provide some help and advice.

Your Rabbit is displaying typical symptoms of EC which has affected the brain, the rest of the central nervous system and his eyes, EC can cause cataracts. His kidneys are probably affected too. Blood tests would be needed to find out if he has impaired renal function.

Sadly the damage caused by EC often cannot be reversed, especially if it is widespread. There is nothing we can suggest other than to seek advice from a Rabbit Savvy Vet, Zoobec has provided you with a link to the RWAF’s list of Rabbit Savvy Vets.

Whilst there are some medications that can be given to try to control the symptoms caused by EC the condition cannot be cured. Medications to control seizures, to reduce inflammation within the CNS, to support renal function and to treat any issues associated with cataracts including treatment if the cataracts lead to the development of Glaucoma.

Quality of life needs to be the priority. Some Rabbits are just not able to cope with all the hands on care they will need, probably for the rest of their life. A Rabbit Savvy Vet would be able to give you an informed opinion about whether it is ethical to pursue treatment and if it is then what that treatment should be.

I hope that you are able to contact a Rabbit Savvy Vet today.

Your Rabbit is displaying typical symptoms of EC which has affected the brain, the rest of the central nervous system and his eyes, EC can cause cataracts. His kidneys are probably affected too. Blood tests would be needed to find out if he has impaired renal function.

Sadly the damage caused by EC often cannot be reversed, especially if it is widespread. There is nothing we can suggest other than to seek advice from a Rabbit Savvy Vet, Zoobec has provided you with a link to the RWAF’s list of Rabbit Savvy Vets.

Whilst there are some medications that can be given to try to control the symptoms caused by EC the condition cannot be cured. Medications to control seizures, to reduce inflammation within the CNS, to support renal function and to treat any issues associated with cataracts including treatment if the cataracts lead to the development of Glaucoma.

Quality of life needs to be the priority. Some Rabbits are just not able to cope with all the hands on care they will need, probably for the rest of their life. A Rabbit Savvy Vet would be able to give you an informed opinion about whether it is ethical to pursue treatment and if it is then what that treatment should be.

I hope that you are able to contact a Rabbit Savvy Vet today.
Thank you for this.I am hoping that his limbs are just weak and that he will at least be able to get around eventually. I will certainly speak to a rabbit friendly vet.

Back