• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chibbs has an eye issue

It certainly sounds like she is well in herself! Hope it clears up and that you are doing better now?

So I have been HORRENDOUSLY ill, like unable to medicate Chibbs ill, but today I managed to get her in to clean up her eye fur and, well, it was exciting...! Here's an extract from the email I sent Matt (explains the poor writing quality):

She might be awkward and, uhm, forthright, but she doesn't panic, and I'll take that EVERY TIME thanks :D

Really sorry you have been so unwell. Hope that you are on the mend now. Chibbs certainly sounds to be a feisty girl x

I'm sorry you've been so unwell and hope that you are now fully better.

Chibbs does sound full of character :) Is it still the plan to take her to the vets tomorrow for the x-ray and possible flush?

Chibbs does sound full of character :) Is it still the plan to take her to the vets tomorrow for the x-ray and possible flush?
She might get described as 'an absolute cow' a lot of the time to give correct context XD She is, well, feisty, smart, domineering, knows her own mind, a strong character, all that :lol: And yes, off there for 08:30 :)

And thanks everyone :) I am... better. Not 100% back to normal, but much more bearable (just a bit physically tired). I thought it might be a stupid recurrence of something unknown that keeps happening but my mate I saw at the weekend reports similar symptoms so it's probably some naff virus, which is better than my usual idiopathic illnesses!

She might get described as 'an absolute cow' a lot of the time to give correct context XD She is, well, feisty, smart, domineering, knows her own mind, a strong character, all that :lol: And yes, off there for 08:30 :)

And thanks everyone :) I am... better. Not 100% back to normal, but much more bearable (just a bit physically tired). I thought it might be a stupid recurrence of something unknown that keeps happening but my mate I saw at the weekend reports similar symptoms so it's probably some naff virus, which is better than my usual idiopathic illnesses!

They sound like good attributes to have :lol: Hope tomorrow goes well and keep getting back to normal yourself.

Glad you are feeling better now KK, sounds an awful virus :( sending lots more vibes for feisty Chibbs x

I hope Chibbs' appointment will go well today and the x-ray will tell you more about what's going on. Chibbs sounds like such a wonderful bunny. :lol::love: I'm glad you're starting to feel better, too.

Vet nurse said she was the quickest rabbit to go from asleep to eating she's ever seen! She literally woke up and was stuffing her face XD She's a good girl sometimes ;P Blocked tear duct wasn't entirely successfully flushed, and xray with contrast fluid shows there's a restriction in the canal just before it curves back up to exit the nose. No tooth root issues (woohoo!), but no way of treating it either! She's back in three weeks to see what's going on, and we're to continue with the Maxitrol in case the restriction is causing, or caused by, any inflammation. She's had the gunky fur clipped away as well, as I hadn't been well enough to clean her and Matt's not the greatest at getting drop in her eye.

She's had treats in the form of some dried forage included with stuff from Trawden Soap Kitchen (thanks J&B!) and seems to be happy enough to not be at the vets. Barrie was pleased to see her back, he's a soft idiot :love:

Well, it's really good news that there's no tooth root involvement, isn't it. Are they thinking that the restriction could always have been there? I guess that alternatively inflammation could cause it, or also be making it more of an issue too, so it seems a good plan to continue with the Maxitrol and then review in three weeks.

I'm pleased that she sounds not to have been at all bothered by the procedure :)

Good news that her tooth roots are OK. Hopefully the restriction isn’t an abscess in the duct. Fingers crossed that the Maxitrol will help. Maybe holding a warm compress gently just under the duct as you clean the gunk off will be if benefit. *IF* there is a small abscess doing this can encourage it to burst and the thick pus will come out of the duct as you gently massage below it. Cool weak camomile tea can be more soothing for eye bathing than just plain cool boiled water. Tea has mild antibacterial properties too x

That's great that it wasn't her tooth roots! Not so great that there's no real way of treating the restriction in her tear duct, though. I hope continuing the Maxitrol will be helpful. How good of her to start eating immediately. :love:

Thanks everyone!

Good news that her tooth roots are OK. Hopefully the restriction isn’t an abscess in the duct. Fingers crossed that the Maxitrol will help. Maybe holding a warm compress gently just under the duct as you clean the gunk off will be if benefit. *IF* there is a small abscess doing this can encourage it to burst and the thick pus will come out of the duct as you gently massage below it. Cool weak camomile tea can be more soothing for eye bathing than just plain cool boiled water. Tea has mild antibacterial properties too x
Ah this is sooo helpful, thankyou so much Jane :D Definitely need four hands for this one, and I might get Matt to do the compressing, massage etc, as he's RUBBISH at holding a struggling bunny and Chibbs knows it XD

She's cottoned on, though! If I got outside she runs away from me XD Had to grab her this morning but she's JUST small enough I can manhandle her with one hand if she's in the right place.

Thanks everyone!

Ah this is sooo helpful, thankyou so much Jane :D Definitely need four hands for this one, and I might get Matt to do the compressing, massage etc, as he's RUBBISH at holding a struggling bunny and Chibbs knows it XD

She's cottoned on, though! If I got outside she runs away from me XD Had to grab her this morning but she's JUST small enough I can manhandle her with one hand if she's in the right place.

She sounds to be a feisty girl !

It is good it is not from tooth roots. It must be a comfort she went back to eating so quickly after her procedure. Sending vibes it is inflammation that will resolve before her next visit. IM always has such good information
:love:

So, another update. First flush was mediocre, they got some stuff through but not much. Latest? Nothing. All just back out of her eye :( So we're not bothering going for regular flushing as it's a bit stressful and a bit risky (sedating a nearly 9yo but still otherwise fit&healthy rabbit). Left eye totally fine. We're to finish the Maxitrol we've got and then see how it goes. It's variable, TBH: it's hard to see how bad it is day to day without manhandling the poor girl because we're both a bit rubbish at eyedrops (getting better! :lol:) but the skin isn't sore or anything, she's just a bit... crusty! I clean her every 2-3 days, that's about as much as both of us can tolerate. She's a lovely rabbit in one sense because she'll sit and take it, if you hold her right, but smart enough she'll leave at the first sign of trouble (i.e. me :lol:) so I'm chasing her around three different areas. It's only a matter of time until she realises she can sit in the long tube between the two runs and I can't easily access her there :roll: Especially now I've shown my cards and got her in her 'old' hidey spot (which is difficult for me to get into but I can do it if I'm determined and wearing the right shoes&trousers!). But yeah, some days she's wetter than others, some days she looks like nothing's happened...!

Back