• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chibbs has an eye issue

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
:waves: Hi, I've become a lurker! XD

Chibbs has had a weepy eye since Saturday afternoon, but not too bad and she's been absolutely fine. It's very gradually got worse, so I booked her in yesterday and took her this morning, and the area around her eye was dry :roll: I noticed something like sleep come out of her eye yesterday but didn't get a chance to investigate. She's got Isathal for a week and I'm to clean the area, and if no improvement or it comes back, to go back for potential duct flushing. She's 8 and flat-faced and outdoors, so it could be anything, we're taking it as it comes. I told Barrie he needs to clean her eyes like she does his, but not right now :lol:

She totally charmed everyone at the vets XD She can be an absolute cow but she's very sweet when she needs to be ;P She got her nails cut and turns out she's got really long quicks :roll: Two huge blood episodes! She didn't even flinch. She's very brave, for all I moan about her, she's really good to handle :love: I think she realises if she just stays still it'll be over quicker!

Barrie and Chibbs say hi to everybun :)

Hi Kelekezes [emoji112]
I hope Chibbs eye improves with no further intervention
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Aw, poor Chibbs. :( Mimzy, being a mini lop, had lots of eye issues early on. It eventually went to cataracts and blindness but he also had suspected E.C., so that definitely contributed.
Jenna, my Yorkie, also had lots of dry eye issues. I think it's something to stay on top of, which I know you'll be doing. :)
Sending vibes your way. Please give both bunnies a snuggle for me. :love: xxxxx

Hi keletkezes, Barrie, and Chibbs! :wave:

I'm sorry Chibbs has a weepy eye. I hope the Isathal will work well for her and that she won't need her tearducts flushed. That's so cute that she charmed everyone at the vets. :love: I'm sorry the nail cutting didn't go too well, though! Brave Chibbs, not even flinching. :love: Sending her lots of vibes. I hope her eye will be better soon!

Hi KK :wave: sorry to hear about Chibbs eye, but really hope it clears up quickly. Glad she was a good girlie, well done Chibbs xx

Hey you, stop lurking & get posting. I was actually thinking about how quiet you'd been last night. I hope the eye drops help. Nice to see how much you really adore her. Barrie - stop neglecting your duties & get your tongue out (next week)

:wave: It's looking better! Unfortunately I was very unwell Thursday evening and then until Sunday, basically bedridden Friday, so we didn't start medicating properly until Sunday (Matt's handling skills are terrible, plus he didn't really know what he was doing as I hadn't even had a chance to show him!), but it's looking a lot better. I suspect it will recur and be a longer-term issue, but I'm glad it's helping for now.

I'm glad Chibbs' eye is looking a lot better! That's great news. I'm sorry you've been so unwell, though. I hope you're feeling much better now. I hope Chibbs' weepy eye won't recur, but if it does and will be a longer-term issue, Casper has that, too, and we manage with eye drops, so I hope it'll be manageable for Chibbs, too.

Last edited:
:wave: It's looking better! Unfortunately I was very unwell Thursday evening and then until Sunday, basically bedridden Friday, so we didn't start medicating properly until Sunday (Matt's handling skills are terrible, plus he didn't really know what he was doing as I hadn't even had a chance to show him!), but it's looking a lot better. I suspect it will recur and be a longer-term issue, but I'm glad it's helping for now.

Really hope that you are feeling better. Glad that Chibb's eye is looking better too.

Sorry to hear that you have been unwell KK, hope you feeling, much better soon. Good news on Chibbs eye, hope it continues xx

So it got better but never fully cleared up. Back at the vets yesterday: the tear duct is restricted rather than blocked. Booked her in for an investigative xray and probable flush next Friday. Might as well try and investigate it now, see if it's something we can resolve or not. I suspect it's tooth roots so not resolvable, as Chibbs is a part-lionhead, but she's totally unfussed by what's going on at the moment :D

So it got better but never fully cleared up. Back at the vets yesterday: the tear duct is restricted rather than blocked. Booked her in for an investigative xray and probable flush next Friday. Might as well try and investigate it now, see if it's something we can resolve or not. I suspect it's tooth roots so not resolvable, as Chibbs is a part-lionhead, but she's totally unfussed by what's going on at the moment :D

Good to ‘see’ you :)
Hope Chibbs doesn’t have elongated tooth roots. At least she’s fine within himself xx

Last edited:
Hope that it's good news next Friday for Chibbs. I think your plan is sound and it's also great that she's not fussed about it. Makes everything just a little bit easier :)

I'm sorry Chibbs' eye issue never cleared up completely. I hope all will go well next Friday, and that it's something that can be treated, rather than it being tooth roots. I'm glad she's not fussed. Sending her lots of vibes. :love:

So I have been HORRENDOUSLY ill, like unable to medicate Chibbs ill, but today I managed to get her in to clean up her eye fur and, well, it was exciting...! Here's an extract from the email I sent Matt (explains the poor writing quality):

Picked her up, put her on the end of the prep area in the kitchen, started washing her eye fur (which is caked, poor girl) and she's like 'nope, don't like this to stand on', climbs on me, down my back, spends a good two minutes working out how to get off and NOT back on to the side, I'm basically immobile, jumps off 3' off the floor down to where the bread is queuing [in front of the bin next to the oven], pootles around a bit (remember she also doesn't like the laminate). I got the old bathroom mats that are shoved in the box and put it on the side, rearranged everything, picked her back up and she's a bit better, less climby, and I managed to clean about 2/3 of the clumps off and medicate her, but I didn't risk vaseline. Took her back outside, got to the playhouse door, she's all like 'Yay, freedom!' and I need more hands than that to hold her AND open the door, so I had to put her in the run. She's since been in the extension ;P

I still think I'd rather have this than Lopsy panic though XD
She might be awkward and, uhm, forthright, but she doesn't panic, and I'll take that EVERY TIME thanks :D

Back