• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boo's dental thread

We're home but not by long. boo is straining to wee :( any idea of how to help her? She had metacam injection today (don't know time) so can't have more til morning. she is still drooly & won't even eat her pellet & herb mush. took about 20ml of recovery food. At least she is out of the tray now & having a mousey cuddle. Called to see if VN about as I don't know if she had output there. Poor baby. I'm a little worried.

In term of her dental she had one really long (not spurred) tooth - as you'd expect the one that has no tooth above it. She didn't have any cuts or sores

I’m glad that she is home but I’m sorry she’s struggling :cry: sending lots of vibes for her xx

Oh bless her, well I'm glad she's home, but not sure what to suggest regarding the weeing. I'm wondering if maybe she's still a bit woozy from the aenesthic, I know when Treacle gets home from dentals, she just flops or hides for a few hours before she does anything (got that joy tomorrow :roll:) don't know what to suggest really apart from keeping watch x

I'm very glad that she is home and that there weren't any sores caused by the overgrown tooth. I'm sorry, I've no idea how to help her urinary problem. I hope that you can find someone available to ask for advice. Also sending lots of vibes for your brave girlie.

I think the problem is she won't wee in the carrier. i'd forgotten about that. i guess that with the GA has given her UTI type symptoms. I've not seen her drink. May syringe feed her a little water?

I hope Treacly has a super smooth dental & recovery tomorrow xx

thanks for all your lovely supportive posts everyone, we really appreciate it

extra big thanks to BB, Loobers2 xx

I think the problem is she won't wee in the carrier. i'd forgotten about that. i guess that with the GA has given her UTI type symptoms. I've not seen her drink. May syringe feed her a little water?

Oh poor thing :( yes I'd give her some water via syringe if she isn't drinking

Lots of vibes for you both x

Is there someone on duty still at the vets who you could ask for advice on how to manage this? In my experience rabbits are given lots of fluids when they have a GA and so don't tend to drink for a while afterwards.

Is there someone on duty still at the vets who you could ask for advice on how to manage this? In my experience rabbits are given lots of fluids when they have a GA and so don't tend to drink for a while afterwards.

Its a difficult one. I don't want to overload her but I don't want her dehydrated but as you say, she prob had fluids there & had a fair bit in her recovery. Well she is lying fairly normally now & not hidden away. Her respiration is ok. I think I might just give her some more recovery 1am ish

update - very happy. Suddenly she is tucking in to a pile of willow & plantain

Its a difficult one. I don't want to overload her but I don't want her dehydrated but as you say, she prob had fluids there & had a fair bit in her recovery. Well she is lying fairly normally now & not hidden away. Her respiration is ok. I think I might just give her some more recovery 1am ish

update - very happy. Suddenly she is tucking in to a pile of willow & plantain

Phew, hope she has improved even more by now xx

So Boo didn't come upstairs last night (she always joins us, more recently she has been first to bed). She seemed to be enjoying lots of loves from Mouse & Joey - inspired I think by her being doused in recovery food. From the state of the lounge floor when I got up I can see she has done lots of quite small poo. I don't know about if she is able to wee properly yet. She went in the litter tray so i stuck my hand under her bum to see if she was weeing. errr, that feels wet I thought, lifted my hand to find the smelliest ceco ever :shock::lol: She seems in ok form, normal Boo really. She hasn't eaten hay but still eating forage .

Glad she's eating forage, I guess her mouth will be a bit sore still. Sorry but the hand under the bum made me laugh, that is real dedication :lol:. Delivered Treacle to vets at 8.30 this morning for her dental, she wee'd in her carrier on the way, it came through the holes onto my lap. I had to walk in reception with wet wee stains on my trousers :shock:
Sending lots of chomping vibes for Boobly xxx

Glad she's eating forage, I guess her mouth will be a bit sore still. Sorry but the hand under the bum made me laugh, that is real dedication :lol:. Delivered Treacle to vets at 8.30 this morning for her dental, she wee'd in her carrier on the way, it came through the holes onto my lap. I had to walk in reception with wet wee stains on my trousers :shock:
Sending lots of chomping vibes for Boobly xxx

Poo hand vs wee knee :lol:

Oh Treacly, better out than in though, and an opportunity to seek revenge a bonus. Vibes for her. Updates when you can please xx

Glad to hear Boo is brighter this morning. Shame about the pooey hand though!
Pets mum, I hope Treacle is okay, although your wet trousers did make me laugh, sorry.
Years ago when I worked for Social services, I went with one of the social workers to take a client’s cat to rescue as they were being evicted. She had an old Fiat Panda at the time. The social worker had cats herself and took her wire mesh carrier lined with newspaper to move the cat in. I was sat with the carrier on my lap as we drove to the rescue and the cat did a massive wee. It rolled off the newspaper and down my leg. I stayed in the car whilst she handed the cat over and didn’t go back into the office afterwards and went straight home to change!
Unfortunately, it had also dribbled down into the car. The social worker scrubbed it, but couldn’t get rid of the smell. She ended up trading the car in 2 weeks later!

Back