• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating / dental / abscess

H
My bunny had her first teeth burring yesterday 😓. She is making movement of her jaw as if she is uncomfortable still. She is eating pellets which I made softer with water but being picky about grass. She is taking a lot of time to chew and selecting which one to chew it seems . Is this normal ?? And how long before she goes back to being normal . Any advices will be really helpful 🥹

Her teeth are likely to feel ‘odd’ to her after the treatment and it might take a couple of days for her to eat more normally. Recovery time depends on the exact extent of treatment given and the exact dental problems. For example if sharp molar spurs had caused soft tissue damage in the mouth this damage will take several days to heal once the spurs have been burred off. If there is a dental abscess involved this will require ongoing medication including antibiotics and analgesia.

Keep encouraging your Rabbit to eat and carefully monitor poo output. If he poo remains very small and/or much less than normal she might need prokinetic medication to keep her GI tract moving and prevent secondary gut stasis.

If you remain concerned that her recovery is not going well contact your Vet without delay.

I hope you have been given advice about how to try to prevent progression of her Dental problems, including the importance of a diet based on at least 85% hay/grass

Further information about Rabbit Dental issues here

Her molar spurs were burred . No tissue was damaged . 😓 she was still eating a lot of grass before surgery . Thats why I am so stressed . I am giving her prescribed meds to prevent stasis.

Her molar spurs were burred . No tissue was damaged . 😓 she was still eating a lot of grass before surgery . Thats why I am so stressed . I am giving her prescribed meds to prevent stasis.

Just keep encouraging her to eat and make sure she has a good poo output. It might take a couple of days for her eating to return to normal. Unfortunately some breed types are still prone to dental problems even if they do have a good hay based diet. Brachycephalic Rabbits in particular, eg mini Lops and Netherlands Dwarfs

Thanks a lot for ur words 🤲 one more thing she is doing some chewing motion, grinding, jaw up and down . Are they normal after surgery cz I saw these same symptoms somewhat before surgery

Thanks a lot for ur words 🤲 one more thing she is doing some chewing motion, grinding, jaw up and down . Are they normal after surgery cz I saw these same symptoms somewhat before surgery

It can happen when there is something that feels different in the Rabbit’s mouth. So different as in sharp spurs prior to dental treatment or different as in how the teeth feel after burring. Also, the vibration caused by the burring does disturb the tooth roots so initially the teeth might be a bit sensitive as a result.

Did the Vet take skull radiographs ? These are useful to asses the tooth roots.

Have a feel along the jaw line to make sure there are no lumps. A lumpy jawline can be indicative of tooth root problems/abscesses.

If the unusual chewing action continues then speak with the Vet again.

I am glad she is doing well. Sending vibes she maintains a good weight and she will not need another dental for a long time.

Hi, my 11 year old Lionhead has stopped eating normally.

In July she was taken to vets 1 as she had not been playing or eating hay, we thought this could be arthritis so she was on loxicom 0.32ml x 2 daily for a week to trial. She progressively got worse so I took her in again, they checked her teeth again and said there's small spurs so it could be that.
On 13th July she went in for a dental, the burred her spurs and she came home, she started eating better for a few days but not 100%, I kept with the loxicom for a week while her mouth lacerations healed.

She then stopped eating anything but greens again and this got less and less. I took her to vet 2 who did bloods (no issues found), and abdomen x-ray (looks good) and a dental x-ray which found an abscess, the vet removed the abscess and 2 teeth. She recovered well and started eating greens and dried leaves that same night, she's been on 5 days of baytril then penicillin injections every day for a week with 0.32ml of loxicom x 2 daily.

A week after her dental she'd been eating lots of greens, this has started to reduce to now where she will not eat any. Her poo never got beyond small and black, the other day she had small black poos almost glued together with a clear dried mucus, I mentioned this to the vet who didn't seem overly concerned.

I have been syringe feeding her throughout.

Does anybody have any suggestions to what ot could be please as I feel I'm just taking her for appointments every day to no avail.

She has been spayed. Currently weights 1.58kg.

Thank you!
Have you tried Critical Care? This is a fibre food supplement for rabbits (if supplement is the right word); it is basically coarse powder. The way I administer it is with a large plastic syringe - like the ones that used to come with printer ink. Put a one dessert spoon of Critical Care in a china mug and 3 dessert spoons of boiled water and mix it with a spoon for a couple of minutes. (You have to make it into a smooth liquid - not too thick, so add more water if necessary). Allow to cool and draw it into the syringe. My rabbits will take 2 or 3 syringes, which I give if they stop eating normally.

I am glad she is doing well. Sending vibes she maintains a good weight and she will not need another dental for a long time.

Just keep encouraging her to eat and make sure she has a good poo output. It might take a couple of days for her eating to return to normal. Unfortunately some breed types are still prone to dental problems even if they do have a good hay based diet. Brachycephalic Rabbits in particular, eg mini Lops and Netherlands Dwarfs

I am glad she is doing well. Sending vibes she maintains a good weight and she will not need another dental for a long time

Do molar spurs occur frequently. My bun is just recovering 😓. It will be really stressful for her if she keeps getting it

Do molar spurs occur frequently. My bun is just recovering 😓. It will be really stressful for her if she keeps getting it

Molar spurs are often the result of the Rabbit not being fed the correct diet which should be based on at least 80% -90% hay. Pelleted feed being fed in minimal amounts.

Some breed types are more prone to dental problems, congenital malocclusion. Especially the brachycephalic (flat faced) breed types such as mini lops and Netherlands dwarfs.

These links provide information about Rabbit dental problems

Molar spurs are often the result of the Rabbit not being fed the correct diet which should be based on at least 80% -90% hay. Pelleted feed being fed in minimal amounts.

Some breed types are more prone to dental problems, congenital malocclusion. Especially the brachycephalic (flat faced) breed types such as mini lops and Netherlands dwarfs.

These links provide information about Rabbit dental problems

I am feeding her enough hay and grass . 😢 just to be extra careful , do buns with molar spurs frequently get it ??? I have seen buns getting their dental done almost every month . Hopefully my baby doesn't face these anytime soon 😓 she is only 3plus years old also I caught it quite early so no damage was done

I am feeding her enough hay and grass . 😢 just to be extra careful , do buns with molar spurs frequently get it ??? I have seen buns getting their dental done almost every month . Hopefully my baby doesn't face these anytime soon 😓 she is only 3plus years old also I caught it quite early so no damage was done

With Rabbit dental problems it’s impossible to say how frequently treatment might be needed. It will depend on the specifics of each individual case.

You say that you are feeding enough hay and grass, but is she actually eating it ? How much pellet feed does she have each day ? Is she a flat faced Rabbit ? As previously mentioned, brachycephalic Rabbits are more prone to recurring dental problems.

With Rabbit dental problems it’s impossible to say how frequently treatment might be needed. It will depend on the specifics of each individual case.

You say that you are feeding enough hay and grass, but is she actually eating it ? How much pellet feed does she have each day ? Is she a flat faced Rabbit ? As previously mentioned, brachycephalic Rabbits are more prone to recurring dental problems.
Yes she eats most of her grass . In case of hay she is picky and eats less but cuts them more . She is a nz white and not flat faced

With Rabbit dental problems it’s impossible to say how frequently treatment might be needed. It will depend on the specifics of each individual case. You say that you are feeding enough hay and grass, but is she actually eating it ? How much pellet feed does she have each day ? Is she a flat faced Rabbit ? As previously mentioned, brachycephalic Rabbits are more prone to recurring dental problems.
Yes she eats most of her grass . In case of hay she is picky and eats less but cuts them more . She is a nz white and not flat faced

Help ! My bunny isn't eating her grass from yesterday . She was even fine in morning and on evening she hardly touched her grass 😓😓 . She ate some greens and pellets only . Its almost 4 weeks since her spurs were burred. She was all ok till yesterday

If she is still not eating normally you need to take her back to a vet to be re-examined.

Is her poo output normal ?

Is she bright and active within herself ?

Is she eating hay ?

If she is still not eating normally you need to take her back to a vet to be re-examined.

Is her poo output normal ?

Is she bright and active within herself ?

Is she eating hay ?
She was eating all ok till yesterday both hay and grass . Then stopped last night . Poo output was good though less on number cz she ate some greens and pellets but very little grass. Probably chewed not more then 3 or 4 times 😓 I am giving her gas meds and meloxicam. If it continues I am taking her to vet tomorrow . I just can't believe her teeth will go bad only in 2 weeks !!!!

Unfortunately Rabbits teeth grow continuously. In more severe cases of dental problems spurs can develop very quickly.

Personally I would want to get her examined today rather than waiting another 24 hours. When a Rabbit shows signs of gut slow down it is always better to seek veterinary attention sooner rather than later.

Back