• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit choking due to overgrown teeth?

She seems to be coming out of it some. No they didn't. What's prokinetic medication and NG feeding?
Prokinetics are drugs that are used to promote gut motility, to try to increase the rate at which the stomach empties and the rate of peristaltic contractions of the intestines. Usually the drugs are metoclopromide and cisapride. In your Rabbit’s case metoclopromide might not be appropriate as its use is contraindicated if the recipient is known to have epileptic seizures. If it is used then it would probably be at a much lower dose than would normally be the case

NG feeds = Naso-gastric feeding, a feeding tube inserted into the nose and down into the stomach. Obviously a procedure that can only be done by a Vet and as an Inpatient.

Tilting the head back when syringe feeding is not really advisable as there is a high risk of causing the Rabbit to aspirate a feed- to choke. If food goes down into the lungs this can cause aspiration pneumonia.

Prokinetics are drugs that are used to promote gut motility, to try to increase the rate at which the stomach empties and the rate of peristaltic contractions of the intestines. Usually the drugs are metoclopromide and cisapride. In your Rabbit’s case metoclopromide might not be appropriate as its use is contraindicated if the recipient is known to have epileptic seizures. If it is used then it would probably be at a much lower dose than would normally be the case

NG feeds = Naso-gastric feeding, a feeding tube inserted into the nose and down into the stomach. Obviously a procedure that can only be done by a Vet and as an Inpatient.

Tilting the head back when syringe feeding is not really advisable as there is a high risk of causing the Rabbit to aspirate a feed- to choke. If food goes down into the lungs this can cause aspiration pneumonia.
Thank you. She already got neurological problems from the metoclopramide. Do you have a link I can show him about the metoclopramide might not be appropriate for seizures? I have the feeling I'm going to have to fight him for this. She doesn't get the problems with the cisapride

I ended up making a fast decision for her safety and surrendered her to a foster program. The lady hasn't yet got back to me past the first day about how she is doing. And I ended up getting another rabbit. I was supposed to get a year old but they decided not to re-home that one and I got a 5 month old which has proved to be very challenging.

I do too the person just said she was eating pellets and hay well so that means her teeth will stay ground down and she won't need dentals or get as much choking. She was diagnosed as not eating in front of people and I have a studio apartment and the place adopts out pretty quickly or else I wouldn't have chose them. They're aware of her special needs and are going to get a new pet parent to accommodate them.

Last edited:
Unfortunately just because she is eating pellets and hay at the moment is no guarantee that she won’t continue to require dental treatment. It will depend on the exact reason why she developed dental problems in the first place. Some Rabbits can require regular Dentals for life. It is something her new care giver needs to make sure is carefully monitored by taking her to a Rabbit Savvy Vet for regular check ups.

Unfortunately just because she is eating pellets and hay at the moment is no guarantee that she won’t continue to require dental treatment. It will depend on the exact reason why she developed dental problems in the first place. Some Rabbits can require regular Dentals for life. It is something her new care giver needs to make sure is carefully monitored by taking her to a Rabbit Savvy Vet for regular check ups.
She got that way by not eating hay and the rabbit savvy doctor said that her teeth were in good condition to as long as she was eating hay and I hear what you're saying, they were told about the dental problems needing trimming twice a year so that's all I can do that I can think of.

I hope no one judges me. When I made the call she was in distress ovèr having to get medicine for eating (Cisapride) and was staying distressed and the person suggested that we not wait until she was in further distress to do the rehoming and so I made a quick decision and then by the time that she was on her way late I had changed my mind but then made a quick decision to go through with it that I should have thought through better

Last edited:
No judgement. Not everyone is able to deal with the financial and emotional strain of having a bunny who needs a lot of hands on care.
Inspector Morse is correct about cause of dental issues determining frequency of dentals. My dwarf has misaligned teeth, so he has needed regular dentals for years. As he aged, it became worse, so now he gets them monthly.

No judgement. Not everyone is able to deal with the financial and emotional strain of having a bunny who needs a lot of hands on care.
Inspector Morse is correct about cause of dental issues determining frequency of dentals. My dwarf has misaligned teeth, so he has needed regular dentals for years. As he aged, it became worse, so now he gets them monthly.
There were other issues everything seemed to extremely distress her and it was walking on eggshells around her and I have a high stress personality and that doesnt help things. Plus the not eating for months for no reason other than she didn't like to eat in front of people wasn't working out in my studio apartment.

Back