• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boobly Bear joins the honey drug club

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Boo was at Crab Lane vets today, with Eddy providing emotional support. It was definitely time to look in to her weight & muscle loss (maintaining at 2.1k but had always been 2.4-2.5k), plus she sits in funny positions & hold her right paw towards her body.

She had a thorough consult then left for (in-house) bloods & xrays.

Good news, her bloods were fine :love: no worries at all & kidneys looked fine on xray too (I couldnt see them)
Totally as expected (she is almost 10) she does have arthritis, mainly around her neck, upper spine & right shoulder. I'm grateful for the xrays as it explains the paw & I honestly expected the worst arthritis to be around her hips.

Exactly one year since I had a bunny on metacam, now Boobles joins the club. Its nice that I don't have to be really worried about calcium in her diet as she does need fattening up; that should be easier very soon when Spring forage comes in to its own. Back in 3 months for a review.

Actually had a pretty nice day. Saw a few newborn lambs & a black & agouti pair of rabbits playing chase. In Harrogate found amazing Italian cafe that was really cosy, amazing coffee & home cooked food, bought some work jeans, popped to Aldi for weekly shop, P@H for nuggets & some nice looking oat hay.

Reactions: RLO
It is nice to hear Boo did so well at almost 10 years old.
You had quite a productive day-glad it was nice too.

Sophie and Casper say 'Welcome to the club, Boo'. :love: Since the arthritis was to be expected at her age and with the signs you've seen, it's good that you have confirmation now so she can get treatment for it. I hope the Metacam will make her feel more comfortable. That's great that her bloods are fine and her kidneys looked fine as well! :love: I'm glad you had a nice day, too. It sounds like a lovely day, especially seeing the lambs and the wild rabbits playing.

Thanks everybun. BB- Ruth said you was due in / had been in. I only saw doggies today

Whilst Boo was being examined I popped Eddy on the scales to check he'd not gotten any fatter (2.3 - the same as Crab Lane visit in nov)
Then when I was paying Ruth rushed out to let me know that now Eddy was 3.3k !!!!:shock: he'd need an increase in panacur dose
Whaaaat, nnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooo, I can't have let him get that fat... Ruth is saying but he's bigger than boo, nooooo - he is tiny in stature / frame - just rock solid...by this time we were back in the consult room & saw his notes. I'd not misread the scales, he was 2.3 not 3..3 . Phew

Aw glad Boobly got on ok, and George says he's also a member of that club for his achey hips, and wonky waterworks :? Glad you enjoyed the rest of the day, I've always wanted to visit Harrogate, maybe one day. Hope little lambs have got thick coats, going to get very nippy tomorrow :(

Aw glad Boobly got on ok, and George says he's also a member of that club for his achey hips, and wonky waterworks :? Glad you enjoyed the rest of the day, I've always wanted to visit Harrogate, maybe one day. Hope little lambs have got thick coats, going to get very nippy tomorrow :(

aww, if George is in the metacam club then all the more reason to join.

I know ...its too cold for lambs, there is always a really nasty cold spell in march. Fortunately there were v few I saw (lots of sheep though)

I’m glad you had a good day and that Boo’s results were good. I’m sure the metacam will help her :love:

Thanks everybun. BB- Ruth said you was due in / had been in. I only saw doggies today

Whilst Boo was being examined I popped Eddy on the scales to check he'd not gotten any fatter (2.3 - the same as Crab Lane visit in nov)
Then when I was paying Ruth rushed out to let me know that now Eddy was 3.3k !!!!:shock: he'd need an increase in panacur dose
Whaaaat, nnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooo, I can't have let him get that fat... Ruth is saying but he's bigger than boo, nooooo - he is tiny in stature / frame - just rock solid...by this time we were back in the consult room & saw his notes. I'd not misread the scales, he was 2.3 not 3..3 . Phew
That must've been a bit of a shock! :lol: I'm glad he didn't really gain a whole kg!

Is Boo liking her Metacam?

Thank You Zoobec & Scrappy

That must've been a bit of a shock! :lol: I'm glad he didn't really gain a whole kg!

Is Boo liking her Metacam?

I know right, RSPCA would have to take him back off me for neglect !

Boo is a pain to medicate. I'd forgotten. Reckon it will get easier when she realises its always metacam & she likes the taste. Somehow my vet managed to a crystal clear conscious xray of her lying on her side which is no mean feat on a deaf & blind bunny.

Thank You Zoobec & Scrappy

I know right, RSPCA would have to take him back off me for neglect !

Boo is a pain to medicate. I'd forgotten. Reckon it will get easier when she realises its always metacam & she likes the taste. Somehow my vet managed to a crystal clear conscious xray of her lying on her side which is no mean feat on a deaf & blind bunny.
Aw, Boo. I hope it gets easier and she'll start to like medication time. That's impressive that they got a crystal clear conscious x-ray of her! Being deaf and blind, it guess it must be somewhat disorienting for her to be put on her side like that? My vet usually do conscious x-rays, too, and I've always wondered how they manage to get them to lie still.

Boo is definitely more active since starting metacam, she's having a good lollop round the room late night & early mornings. she does still sit in weird positions but I think does more normal resting positions too. She still has 2 scooby snacks daily - this upsets Eddy (who doesn't qualify as far as I'm concerned) & at times he gets a quarter. Copying Sophie we've a memory foam bed ordered - though not as posh as the one Graicee linked but i figured maybe next month as if she likes it we'll really need one for lounge & bedroom. with eddy's edible house & Boo's vet trip I've got to be careful of extras for a short while . The best thing about her starting metacam is she isn't doing the clucking & grunting noises when eddy is in the mood for fun. That feels significant & has also solved one of my rabbit problems. Feel mean for not considering pain must have made her behave that way.

Boo is definitely more active since starting metacam, she's having a good lollop round the room late night & early mornings. she does still sit in weird positions but I think does more normal resting positions too. She still has 2 scooby snacks daily - this upsets Eddy (who doesn't qualify as far as I'm concerned) & at times he gets a quarter. Copying Sophie we've a memory foam bed ordered - though not as posh as the one Graicee linked but i figured maybe next month as if she likes it we'll really need one for lounge & bedroom. with eddy's edible house & Boo's vet trip I've got to be careful of extras for a short while . The best thing about her starting metacam is she isn't doing the clucking & grunting noises when eddy is in the mood for fun. That feels significant & has also solved one of my rabbit problems. Feel mean for not considering pain must have made her behave that way.

It sounds to me as though Boo was feeling grumpy because she was in pain and that's why she used to cluck and grunt at Eddy. She's become more tolerant with the Metacam :) She feels better now.

I thoroughly recommend memory foam mattresses for Arthritis. It made such an enormous difference to me after getting one. I think it's a combination of the support and also the warmth.

Glad that she's moving around more too. I think this was the only difference I noticed with Tan. The weird positions might not be curable. It may be that the Arthritis has altered the shape of those particular joints for good. I can see the changes in the joints in my hands.

That sounds really positive. :love: I'm so pleased for her that the Metacam is helping her feel better and move around more easily and not get fed up so much with Eddy's fun. Poor Eddy, not getting two scooby snacks a day like Boo. Maybe when you're older, Eddy. ;) I hope Boo will like her new bed. :love:

It sounds to me as though Boo was feeling grumpy because she was in pain and that's why she used to cluck and grunt at Eddy. She's become more tolerant with the Metacam :) She feels better now.

I thoroughly recommend memory foam mattresses for Arthritis. It made such an enormous difference to me after getting one. I think it's a combination of the support and also the warmth.

Glad that she's moving around more too. I think this was the only difference I noticed with Tan. The weird positions might not be curable. It may be that the Arthritis has altered the shape of those particular joints for good. I can see the changes in the joints in my hands.

thanks omi - its useful to know what might not change for her on metacam & why.

That sounds really positive. :love: I'm so pleased for her that the Metacam is helping her feel better and move around more easily and not get fed up so much with Eddy's fun. Poor Eddy, not getting two scooby snacks a day like Boo. Maybe when you're older, Eddy. ;) I hope Boo will like her new bed. :love:

Thank You. I'm really excited about the new bed:love:

Boobly doesn't like the bed - its too high so she just bumbles past it. Eddy really likes the bed. The cover is a tacky over hairy / fleecey thing which he wanted to dig. Since its not his to dig (& also being mindful of Scrappys experience) I covered it in cotton. Went to bed early & discovered this morning Eddy has christened it with a very large wee

Metacam update. Defo moves much, much more. Does still grunt sometimes when eddy is being a pest but its nowhere near as much. I need to weigh her

Back