• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bodmin is unwell

We have a rule of no panic for an hour if it looks like it could be gas but that comes from Primrose having regular gas attacks so we just knew if that makes sense.

Often some running around would sort a tiny bit of gas but usually some intervention was needed.

Rodney has on occasion done this as well and we've learned he absolutely won't eat when he just wants to sleep so again tend to try again after an hour as long as we know he was eating recently.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I agree its a difficult call but I think you've played it right so far. TBH I've never worried too much when they're righted themselves (for want of a better expression). Touch wood he hasn't done it in this house so 4 years since last but Joey had obv tummy pain at least 4 times, Boo & Mouse once each. All for no longer than 2 hours. If its something like trapped wind or something foody struggling to pass through I get why it would be so painful, its bad enough for us but a bunnies digestive system is everything

Thanks everybun for your replies it is really appreciated. It’s kind of you to give me support when I don’t go on the health threads ( I find them upsetting and trying to keep stress levels down )and I know that is selfish of me. But is really appreciated.

Clementine has this periodically, belly presses and also throws her self down on her side, but it has passed on its own. I think you've made the right decision. Best to keep stress to a minimum too! Altho a sick bunny isn't great for that [emoji38] I did my knees in at the end medicating Atticus, poor thing probably thought he was gunna be squashed by my huge stomach [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Oh and I totally get the driving thing, I drove right up to the end, even after my waters broke [emoji38] but my stomach pressed the horn when getting out the car sometimes.. So embarrassing [emoji38] was glad I wasn't driving my mini too, its so low [emoji38]

Lots of vibes for Bodders. Hopefully it is something thats resolved by itself. I've had a few experiences of food refusal & belly pressing in the past & they've come round in an hour or 2 before I've had a chance to get them seen. Its a very positive thing he is eating well now & of course that he is pleased to see you
My experience with Aboleth was basically this: I only ever noticed it when they were out on the lawn but I epxetc it happened at other times. She would sit looking uncomy, shuffle about a bit every 5mins, not eat, not really sleep. It was always at moult time, and I reckon her gut couldn't cope with Lopsy's longer fur. She never needed intervention, it always passed after absolute max. 1hr, and she was totally fine after.

When it comes to gas & belly pressing I’m never really sure what the right course of action is. I have had bunnies survive quite bad stasis episodes or bunnies die in a few hours after showing signs even though they got to Anton’s ASAP. I just never know to keep an eye or admit to hospital. I know that when Maple showed signs I wanted to go to vets ASAP and oh was more inclined to keep an eye on her as she was still running around. When we got there she had a bad blockage so I made the right decision to go ASAP. It’s so difficult to know if it’s just gas and if it will pass on it’s own? But in the past have I made gas episodes worse by whisking them straight to the vets you know?
Totally agree, everybun is different. Chibbs seemed very enthusiastic about life (binkying about) even though she wasn't eating and hadn't for ~1hr and for her, that meant she needed to go in straightaway but also meant she recovered within hours. Aboleth being off colour was something she could work through on her own. Lopsy IME tends to be the grumpy hunched refusing food type but we've never caught his stasis proper early (and touch wood he's not had anything like that since 2015).

Ok so since waiting for our appointment he’s eaten all his food, now eating and hay and passed normal poops. I let him out and he did some binkies upstairs so I called Anton to see what they thought. We have cancelled the appointment and I am going to keep an eye on him as a 45 minute drive might not be the best option for him now.

I am still concerned what caused this though. I have replicated what the rescue fed him, that includes his kale, spring greens and SS pellets. He loves kale and I am considering taking away the pellets as all my bunnies usually are pellet free. I really don’t know to be honest. I haven’t introduced anything new and no changes to his diet

this is interesting, I never really heard of this before butthe last 2 or 3 weeks it's been mentioned loads.
Pepper is going to be pellet free from now on and as soon as the currently open bag is gone Tulip too.

Would vet offer motility meds for a few days to keep his gut moving. They help with gass too.

No unfortunately they see him & hospitalise. They do not offer mobility drugs at home unless they have seen him and agree it’s needed. Would be handy though

Great update Loobers. It looks like Bodmin was just seeing how far he needed to go to press the stress button. He's in very safe hands with you and I'm sure you'll all have a better nights sleep tonight. Topping up the vibes just in case Bodmin has any other ideas. xx

No unfortunately they see him & hospitalise. They do not offer mobility drugs at home unless they have seen him and agree it’s needed. Would be handy though

I can understand they want to be sure no obstruction, though my vet often hears slow gut even after bunny poos. Vet does say drinking /or sub q fluids, pain mad, eating/syringe feed are more important than motility meds.

Sending vibes.

He is still doing ok thanks everybun.

I am wondering if my next door neighbours are frightening them. They have four children and in the mornings it sounds like carnage to get them to school (lots of swearing and door slamming) I don’t know to be honest. They are a nice family next door but they seem to go from 0–100 with the kids. Maybe I am in no position to comment yet but I am not happy about the swearing as I don’t want Ted picking up on that. When they are in the garden you can hear everything. I really don’t know what happened with Bodmin but he has no furry poops or anything

Stress can be a trigger and from what you describe loobers, I can only offer you a huge hug and say hand on heart, I’ve been in that position and it drove me to the brink. In fact it was the reason we live in the house we are now. Our previous house had the same sort of dysfunctional neighbour and the kids hated each other and swore worse than I could possibly explain. It wears you down.
I’m pleased Bodmin is back to normal and hopefully it was just a blip. Huge hug to you. Xx

Back