• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Casper is at the vets Update: both unwell now =(

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
Early this morning he was okay and playing on the balcony, but around breakfast time he started belly-pressing and looking uncomfortable, and his stomach was making a lot of noise, so I offered him his breakfast to see if he wanted to eat, and after a lot of hesitating he took one tiny bite and then left the rest. :( The vets wanted to see him as soon as possible, but they didn't have any appointments available this morning, so they said to just bring him in and they'll take care of him and the vet(s) will look at him in between appointments. Sophie is with him, of course. I'm worried. :( He's moulting a lot and he has had gut problems in the past when he's moulting, so it might be that. I got a lot of hair off him yesterday when I brushed him, and I didn't see any hair in their poops, but that might just mean it's all still inside, of course. I didn't see any smaller than normal poops, though. It might be his teeth, too, though it seems more of a gut thing... There's nothing to do now except to wait for a phone call from the vets to tell me how he's doing. Any vibes for him would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sending loads of vibes for your boy. I hope the vet can establish the problem and make him feel better.

Thank you so much for the vibes and the support everyone. I appreciate it a whole lot.

The vet called and said Casper had been hypothermic, so they'd put him under a lamp, and when she called they had just taken him out from under it and his temperature was good and he ate some greens and did some poops, so that's really promising. They gave him gut motility meds as well, and they're going to keep an eye on him for a while longer to see if his temperature stays okay, and then she'll call me with an update later. We're both doubting it's his teeth and that it's more likely that he's having some gut issues because of swallowed hair like he's had before, so we're not going to do a dental, but I'll keep an eye on him this week and if he keeps having trouble eating or his temperature keeps dropping we might have to. But right now he's doing better, and hopefully he and Sophie will get to come home soon.

Thank you so much for the vibes and the support everyone. I appreciate it a whole lot.

The vet called and said Casper had been hypothermic, so they'd put him under a lamp, and when she called they had just taken him out from under it and his temperature was good and he ate some greens and did some poops, so that's really promising. They gave him gut motility meds as well, and they're going to keep an eye on him for a while longer to see if his temperature stays okay, and then she'll call me with an update later. We're both doubting it's his teeth and that it's more likely that he's having some gut issues because of swallowed hair like he's had before, so we're not going to do a dental, but I'll keep an eye on him this week and if he keeps having trouble eating or his temperature keeps dropping we might have to. But right now he's doing better, and hopefully he and Sophie will get to come home soon.

That's a good update, really hope they are both back soon, more vibes being sent xx

I'm sorry to read that Casper is poorly but I'm glad he appears to be responding to treatment now. Well done on getting him seen by the vet so quickly, that will have made a huge difference in his recovery.

I’m glad he’s doing better. As SLH said, the fact that you got him to the vet quickly will have helped.

Thank you all so much for caring, really. :love: His temperature was staying stable, so he's home now and just ate some dried forage, and he's eaten some hay as well, and chewed a willow toy. He's sitting in the sun now, washing himself. :love: He'll stay on Emeprid until he's completely better, and then we'll see how he does, but for now it's looking good. :)

Back