• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bodmin is unwell

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Lots of poops over night, but only ate a piece of Nero kale & refusing other foods including his SS pellets. I can see he is uncomfortable & belly pressing. Going to call John at 8.30 when they open.

I looked back at the camera overnight and he is running around as normal, yesterday was a really quiet day in the Warren so I can’t put my finger on what’s caused this today

Sending millions of vibes for Bodmin. Could it be similar to Peppers problem of fur ingestion? Hope your vet can see Bodmin quickly and get to the cause of Bodmins discomfort. Xx

Sending lots of vibes for Bodmin. At least with you on mat leave it will be easier for you to be flexible with appointments. It's a nightmare having a sick furry when you are due at work.

Poor boy :( wondering lf Craig is right, Clementine always has trouble this time of year, and has had a few episodes recently. She's not even moulting a lot, but it makes a difference.

Sending lots of vibes for your boy. I hope that Uncle J can establish what's wrong and make him feel better.

He isn’t moulty but that being said him being immaculate means he is grooming himself a lot. Unfortunately I can’t really drive comfortably and struggle to reach the pedals now so I am having to rely on oh coming away from work to take him. Trying to not stress obviously as I am due soon but is hard

poor Bodmin :(
seems you spotted it ultra quick. i hope everything goes well for him today xxx

Poor Bodmin. Hope he is feeling better soon!

I think you're right that a bun who looks immaculate at this time of year is likely doing lots of grooming.

Blossom's covered in moult lines and I'm seeing Rodney's poop starting to string together and hers are shrinking so I've initiated twice daily grooming which they both hate.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I’ve just been to check on him & he was happy to see me, ate all of his pellets and most of his greens. No poops yet. I’m going to keep an eye on him and keep the appointment and see what’s going on. I definitely saw belly pressing & discomfort this morning

Lots of vibes for Bodders. Hopefully it is something thats resolved by itself. I've had a few experiences of food refusal & belly pressing in the past & they've come round in an hour or 2 before I've had a chance to get them seen. Its a very positive thing he is eating well now & of course that he is pleased to see you

Sending lots of vibes for him. Was anything he had new to him? The kale for instance? Clutching at straws but Boots couldn’t tolerate some greens and would tummy press afterwards. It sounds like he is feeling better already hopefully xx

Ok so since waiting for our appointment he’s eaten all his food, now eating and hay and passed normal poops. I let him out and he did some binkies upstairs so I called Anton to see what they thought. We have cancelled the appointment and I am going to keep an eye on him as a 45 minute drive might not be the best option for him now.

I am still concerned what caused this though. I have replicated what the rescue fed him, that includes his kale, spring greens and SS pellets. He loves kale and I am considering taking away the pellets as all my bunnies usually are pellet free. I really don’t know to be honest. I haven’t introduced anything new and no changes to his diet

Last edited:
82e9c9c480bba486a2bffa251115cca9.jpg

Here is he now having some hay

When it comes to gas & belly pressing I’m never really sure what the right course of action is. I have had bunnies survive quite bad stasis episodes or bunnies die in a few hours after showing signs even though they got to Anton’s ASAP. I just never know to keep an eye or admit to hospital. I know that when Maple showed signs I wanted to go to vets ASAP and oh was more inclined to keep an eye on her as she was still running around. When we got there she had a bad blockage so I made the right decision to go ASAP. It’s so difficult to know if it’s just gas and if it will pass on it’s own? But in the past have I made gas episodes worse by whisking them straight to the vets you know?

Last edited:
Great update loobers. I’m pleased Bodmin is presenting as much improved and eating and pooping. Is gas a possible? Has he sneaked out a bum burp on the quiet and now feels better? Gas can be really painful so that might explain the sudden return of appetite. Sending more vibes and hope Bodmin continues to improve and return to his gorgeous normal self.

Sorry to hear that Bodders has been a bit off colour, and really hope it's just a one off. Maybe just a bit of gas which has now righted itself. Fingers crossed xx

When it comes to gas & belly pressing I’m never really sure what the right course of action is. I have had bunnies survive quite bad stasis episodes or bunnies die in a few hours after showing signs even though they got to Anton’s ASAP. I just never know to keep an eye or admit to hospital. I know that when Maple showed signs I wanted to go to vets ASAP and oh was more inclined to keep an eye on her as she was still running around. When we got there she had a bad blockage so I made the right decision to go ASAP. It’s so difficult to know if it’s just gas and if it will pass on it’s own? But in the past have I made gas episodes worse by whisking them straight to the vets you know?

I agree it's hellishly difficult to know how long to leave it. Much depends I think on how the bunny looks, but it's not always obvious what to do. I remember I've had times in the past with each of the Rexes that they would refuse food for a short while and look uncomfortable. Sometimes I've been able to relate this to a possible over-indulgence of food, but not always. Sometimes it's been as simple as it's been sleepy time and they haven't wanted to eat. It's always resolved itself within an hour or so though and usually helped by thrusting favourite foragey items in their face until they have eaten just to get rid of it :)

I think I would just observe him and not necessarily think of changing his diet just on that one episode. I hope he continues to be OK.

Back