• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blossom Hasnt Eaten Since 4pm

Wonderful start to your day. You’ll feel so much more relieved now but I’ll bet your missing a nights sleep.
But yeay for blossom. What a star. Xx

It is so much better today.

That dread that just sits with you all night is awful. I never know whether I'm overreacting or not.

Still she's now showing off her binkies to Rodney and decidedly feet flicking at me when I go check on them!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm really pleased Blossom is feeling a lot better today.

One of my buns used to have recurrent gas and stasis episodes. I used to spend so much time traipsing backwards and forwards to the vet. I dread to think what they thought of as me as an owner having a constantly sick bunny.

One day I saw a post on here from someone saying they had to stop giving their bunnies fenugreek crunchies as they kept giving them stasis. That was a lightbulb moment me for. The crunchies must be the problem. I cut them out and *touch wood* we've only had one episode since then in over a year. She'll probably have an episode today now that I've said that.

For treats now I give them the selective woodland loops with dandelion and they both seem to get on ok with those.

Oh what a relief for you. Such good news.

I have found bramble leaves (and stems) tempt mine at times of stress/stasis.

Yes hubby has been dispatched to his mother's for more brambles! Luckily only 5 mins round the corner.

Hmm I might look into the loops. Both buns seem to be doing really well with the Science Select nuggets and hay sticks so maybe those will fit in nicely too.

Ooh, I'm so glad Blossom is feeling much better now! I didn't see this last night. What a relief that must've been, when she was so much more her usual self this morning. :love:

I'm really pleased Blossom is feeling a lot better today.

One of my buns used to have recurrent gas and stasis episodes. I used to spend so much time traipsing backwards and forwards to the vet. I dread to think what they thought of as me as an owner having a constantly sick bunny.

One day I saw a post on here from someone saying they had to stop giving their bunnies fenugreek crunchies as they kept giving them stasis. That was a lightbulb moment me for. The crunchies must be the problem. I cut them out and *touch wood* we've only had one episode since then in over a year. She'll probably have an episode today now that I've said that.

For treats now I give them the selective woodland loops with dandelion and they both seem to get on ok with those.

I pushed the panic button several times with my vet only to have bunny behave fine at vet, either adrenaline or gas release from car ride. My fear was vet would stop believing me.

It is so much better today.

That dread that just sits with you all night is awful. I never know whether I'm overreacting or not.

Still she's now showing off her binkies to Rodney and decidedly feet flicking at me when I go check on them!

Lovely update! No feet flicking allowed.
Yeah, with bunnies you have such a short amount of time to wait and see, so then I must decide what meds/treatment to begin based on their history and past experience.

Last edited:
I pushed the panic button several times with my vet only to have bunny behave fine at vet, either adrenaline or gas release from car ride. My fear was vet would stop believing me.

That used to happen to me a lot. I suspect, as you've said the bumpiness of the journey to the vet (plus chasing them around to get them into the carrier) probably dislodged the gas. So by the time they get seen by the vet there's absolutely nothing wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a note on my file saying "This woman is just looking for attention".

Rodney has done this on several occasions, every year 3 days before we go on our annual two weeks away....

The first time the vet was amazed as he was in fine spirits and thumped her [emoji23]

The 2nd the vet went to get some gut meds for him just to be sure and he did a pile of perfectly normal poop on her table.

The 3rd we decided to wait him out and he was fine!

I think the fluids I gave Bloss plus the handling with chase and belly rub probably helped a great deal.

Rodney has done this on several occasions, every year 3 days before we go on our annual two weeks away....
They know, don't they?! :lol: I've *touch wood* never had a problem after that first Christmas Lopsy was unwell :roll: I think they like me going away and being left with the OH because he's the fun one: I might be the main 'carer' but he does the vast majority of food, fun, fuss etc.!

I fear it's because my sister in law goes for cuddles when she cares for them.

Usually only once but I've never managed to persuade her not to and as generally she's a fantastic bunny sitter I try not to complain.

And to be honest it's good for them to have a check while we're gone and she's very good at checking bellies, nails and giving them a big brush as they're very cowed by her.

Back