• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Binky.. misformed spine+vertebral collapse. Great UD 84 June 2014

:( Sending him lots of vibes. I really hope he is feeling better soon. xx

:( Sending Binky mega mega vibes.

Thank you both :love:

They are keeping him in again today. They are happy with his progress, but still monitoring. I *think* it's probably more about being easier to organise sending him home on a weekday as they are only doing emergencies today, so if it had been a Monday today i suspect he would be coming home. Not a problem though as I'm making his home better and it's better for him that he's not being shoved in a corner while I set up his new cage. so he will have a bigger, more permanent space to come home to.

Topping up a few more vibes for Binky (((((((((((((((((((((((((vibes))))))))))))))))))))))))))) xxxx

Thanks all for the continuing good wishes.

Glad he's feeling better. I woud probably try keeping giving him the metacam, if I remember correctly it's an anti inflamatory too (but I'm probably just repeating what you already know) Maurice has a very similar problem, his middle spine is deformed....and on top of that the vertebrae that connects his spine to his pelvis is also deformed too.

I was having difficulty weighing up how I would know whether he would need an anti-inflammatory (the reason I didn't reply to this earlier). I assumed that if there was inflammation it would cause pain and as he wasn't behaving in pain, I thought it would be reasonable to assume that he didn't need an anti-inflammatory... anyway, he's back on Metacam to see if he has any more of these pain episodes when he's on Metacam.

Update
I collected Binky on Monday late afternoon and *touch wood* he's back to being a lively, happy bunny. He's on Metacam two doses a day for a few days then one dose a day. I asked what 'collapsed vertebrae' actually meant and it is the gap between the vertebra that has collapsed, the space has change. It could be that the bones touch and fuse (they may already have done hence the big strange vertebral bone). This *may* make his condition more stable ... it *may* also make it less stable because somewhere else along his spine he will have to flex more because he won't be able to flex properly where the bones have fused, this causing a problem somewhere else. It is very much a case of wait and see - give pain meds, keep a close eye on him and hope that he can cope. We are nowhere near "quality of life" decision yet but may have to go there in the future. :(

I asked about acupuncture and it is unlikely to be of benefit (though not to be ruled out). Acupunture would be of use for chronic pain ie the constant type rather than for his acute pain ie intermittant intense pain.

For now he appears happy so we'll just have to go with that. Thanks again for the vibes, advice and good wishes. Oh, and one bit of good news - he's gobbled up all 3 of the mini shreddies with Metacam he's been given so far.

Hope he does well on the Metacam. Sounds like he is in good spirits still :)

I know how you are feeling just now as I have a wee one in the same boat :(

Hope he does well on the Metacam. Sounds like he is in good spirits still :)

I know how you are feeling just now as I have a wee one in the same boat :(

Thanks. I think you are having to think more about quality of life than we are, I'm trying to be optimistic and hope he stays well for some time. Poor Inca, her injury was the last thing she needed. :cry:

After 6.5 weeks of being really, really happy and having what seems like normal movement, I've just 1/2 hour ago found Binky in pain again. Heartbroken for him. He's seeing Ruth at 12.15.

Aww, wee Binky :( Hope he gets better.
He really does remind me of my Inca. I will ask wee angel Inca to help make him better at his vet visit.

Aww, wee Binky :( Hope he gets better.
He really does remind me of my Inca. I will ask wee angel Inca to help make him better at his vet visit.

Thank you. I think she is already watching over him,:love: he looks okay now, not as bright as usual but he's just come over for a treat and he's eaten a dandelion leaf. I'm a bit unsure whether to take him to the vets now - 40 minute trip each way but *maybe* it would be best to have him assessed anyway... I have to go to work after that and I don't want to leave him for 5 hours if he could just go back into pain on his own :?

Thank you. I think she is already watching over him,:love: he looks okay now, not as bright as usual but he's just come over for a treat and he's eaten a dandelion leaf. I'm a bit unsure whether to take him to the vets now - 40 minute trip each way but *maybe* it would be best to have him assessed anyway... I have to go to work after that and I don't want to leave him for 5 hours if he could just go back into pain on his own :?

Aye, mibbe just take him anyways....even for your own piece of mind.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Binx was pretty much normal by the time he got to the vets, bit narked at having been dragged there but not exhibting pain at all. Because he was 'punishing' the cushion in the carrier the vet brought him a handful of hay to distract him and he started eating it straight away :love: It looked like he might have these spells of an hour or two of pain that will settle on its own, suppose he may have had when I'm not around for a while and not witnessed it. Anyhow, really, really pleased that he seems happy again and that it wasn't a major episode for him.

Back