• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Binky.. misformed spine+vertebral collapse. Great UD 84 June 2014

So pleased Binky is home. So hard to know what is going on inside their little bodies.

Yvette, who doesn't come on here much as she doesn't have internet access, has a bunny with an abnormal spine. There is an old thread here somewhere, over 2 years old I think. It hasn't had an effect so far, other than he isn't really an active bun and he is small.

I will try and find it.

U/D I have found it. I don't know if it is any help at all but you can see how bad both their spines are and yet BB is still fine. Sadly Lily Shane passed away but it was not related to her spine.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?279720-Xrays-of-Lily-and-BBs-Spines&highlight=xrays

Last edited:
Sounds like a long term management of Binky's pain, then :( That's such a shame but I am shocked that he is able to periscope so soon. :love: He is obviously not giving up yet (and that goes for Artie too). You have some special bunnies there. Keep us updated on both their progress :)

I really hope Artie and Binky manage to deal with their problems, you never know what tomorrow brings and as long as they are both happy now there is no point in worrying about the future until it happens. Sit and enjoy the now :)

Well, just to say, his binkying days are not over :shock::shock: :D:D

He is in a 1m x 1m pen to restrict his space, (I intend to make it bigger as and when), I didn't think it would be big enough to binky in, but he's proved me wrong :D:D:D

Artie also put a big smile on my face this evening by racing around at tea time as if to say "it's about time too", he was really excited :D:D

U/D I have found it. I don't know if it is any help at all but you can see how bad both their spines are and yet BB is still fine. Sadly Lily Shane passed away but it was not related to her spine.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?279720-Xrays-of-Lily-and-BBs-Spines&highlight=xrays

Thanks for that, that's very reassuring - Binky's spine is nowhere near as bad as those.

Awww bless. He obviously hasn't seen his own x-rays. ;) I'm glad it's not holding him back from enjoying life anyway & hope he can remain that way for as long as possible. :love::love:

It's great to have some good news. Pleased both of them are going well and acting "normal".

Glad to hear about Binky and Artie. :love:
Mimzy also has a restricted space due to his head tilt. Once he recovered enough to get more of his balance back the binkying began in earnest, even though it's not a gret deal of room. I plan on making him a larger enclosure but these days he's a bit of a sleepyhead and I don't see the little leaps as much.
It was shocking to see what kind of height he got though! :shock: And his spine is all curved from spondylosis as well as his residual tilt.

I hope that Binky and Artie will have many more happy and healthy days ahead. :love:

I don't know how I have not seen this thread before now. I am so glad that your wee one is back home with you and doing well.

My Inca was born deformed. I never had her until much later on in her life but she was an RSPCA case that was thought to have had her tail burned off with Chemicals. After having her it was apparent that she has no tail because her tail bone basically curves underneath her. She also has a twist to her spine and when she got her X-Rays she was found to have something similar to slipped discs and a curved spine, as well as arthritis :(

Initially she was not too bad with it. Then her leg started to turn under her, her leg basically goes from one side at the back, right under her body and sticks out the other end :( Her arthritis / deformities are rather bad now, but she just gets on with things. She is on daily Metacam and monthly Acupuncture. Her Metacam dosage gets steadily increased as she deteriorates, but as long as she is a happy girl then I am happy to keep on medicating her.

Basically Binky will just get on with things, like Inca. He will have bad days and good days, but as long as he is on pain meds then he should hopefully cope not too bad.

Thank you so much everybody for kind words and taking time to share experiences etc, I'm so much more optimistic for Binky now.

Awww bless. He obviously hasn't seen his own x-rays. ;)

Well, I don't know what he was doing then as he had nothing else to occupy himself during the consultation ;)

You are right though - he just doesn't know about his back so is getting on with it. He's enjoying being a house rabbit and is lapping up all the head rubs he's getting. I think he's going to bond much better with me now he's indoors.

Artie too, I've been really torturing myself on and off during the week, sometimes I accept his prognosis and other times I just don't want to accept it. He's happy though and makes me smile. Nothing about his behaviour has changed in the last year, I only know because of his bladder sludge treatment - had it not been for that I would be none the wiser. It's also taking some getting used to that he's not under FHB's care for 5 weekly appointments like he has been for the last four years. The idea that that condition doesn't exist any more is taking some getting used to.

I'm a bit worried about Binky today he's not been a happy little soul at all. He's looked miserable all day. He has managed to come over to me whenever I've taken bits of food and treats to him but many times hasn't eaten them :cry::cry: He's been happily taking his Metacam on mini shredded wheat for the last week but didn't today, I did eventually get it into him via a Fenugreek Crunchie.

I've just been Googling collapsed vertebrae and I'm feeling quite scared for him, given his demeanour today, it's such a marked contrast to the previous week :cry::cry:

Does anyone know if "vertebral collapse" is actually a break in the bones or just a shifting? I'm confused with what I've found on Google. I don't know if we have to allow time for the bone to heal or if what we have got now is as good as it gets :?

:( I hope Binky is feeling better tomorrow.

No real experience but a collapse doesn't medically sound like a break. I keep away from google when it comes to medical issues for people and bunnies as it can be so misleading.

Just want to add my vibes for Binky (((((((((((((((((((((healing vibes and comfort)))))))))))))))))) I'm sorry I wish I had some information for you.
Mimzy has early onset arthritis/spondylosis and his spine is much more bent than it used to be due to his residual head tilt. I constantly worry about his quality of life. I empathize with you and Binky's dilemma. ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
I hope maybe your vet can shed some light on the situation. xx

Thanks again for the kind messages.

Just a quick update. I was really worried about Artie on Thursday evening/Friday as he was really quiet, he normally runs over to meet me at the door when I've been away a while, I was bearly getting any acknowledgement when I went right over to him:cry: I properly convinced myself I was starting to lose him. I was out picking grass by torchlight at 1.30 am. Anyhow, a few days later and he has been consistently bright since Saturday, he's just craving grass, I'm out picking as much as I can which is getting harder now as I've picked all the good bits in mine/next door's garden, though hopefully it will be growing better soon. I decided to give him grass as much as possible rather than hay as FHB said the main thing I could concentrate on is keeping him hydrated - it's like Artie knows this too. He's begging a lot more now rather than the lacklustre he was on Thurs/Friday. He constantly asking for attention in the evenings as has been his way for years. He seems to sleep very deeply in the morning though, could be age, could be slowing down because of his health?

Binky is also doing really well :D He's very enthusiastic and joining in with the wave of excitment from the other bunnies in the room - we have Rudy, Tinky, Dinky and Binky in one room. He even ran at the cage with all four feet hitting the side the other day and then feel awkwardly, only to get back up and carry on begging. He initially ate Metacam on shredded wheat but then refused, he would eat them eventually during the day so I left it for sometime during the day .. but then he stopped eating them. It has become apparent he isn't needing Metacam at the moment anyway. He looks really contented and is really engaging well. He's asking for nose rubs and tooth purring when he gets attention. He's becoming a proper housebunny :love: He even happy flops quite often and doesn't appear to get any pain from doing so.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the kind messages.

Just a quick update. I was really worried about Artie on Thursday evening/Friday as he was really quiet, he normally runs over to meet me at the door when I've been away a while, I was bearly getting any acknowledgement when I went right over to him:cry: I properly convinced myself I was starting to lose him. I was out picking grass by torchlight at 1.30 am. Anyhow, a few days later and he has been consistently bright since Saturday, he's just craving grass, I'm out picking as much as I can which is getting harder now as I've picked all the good bits in mine/next door's garden, though hopefully it will be growing better soon. I decided to give him grass as much as possible rather than hay as FHB said the main thing I could concentrate on is keeping him hydrated - it's like Artie knows this too. He's begging a lot more now rather than the lacklustre he was on Thurs/Friday. He constantly asking for attention in the evenings as has been his way for years. He seems to sleep very deeply in the morning though, could be age, could be slowing down because of his health?

Binky is also doing really well :D He's very enthusiastic and joining in with the wave of excitment from the other bunnies in the room - we have Rudy, Tinky, Dinky and Binky in one room. He even ran at the cage with all four feet hitting the side the other day and then feel awkwardly, only to get back up and carry on begging. He initially ate Metacam on shredded wheat but then refused, he would eat them eventually during the day so I left it for sometime during the day .. but then he stopped eating them. It has become apparent he isn't needing Metacam at the moment anyway. He looks really contented and is really engaging well. He's asking for nose rubs and tooth purring when he gets attention. He's becoming a proper housebunny :love: He even happy flops quite often and doesn't appear to get any pain from doing so.

Glad he's feeling better. I woud probably try keeping giving him the metacam, if I remember correctly it's an anti inflamatory too (but I'm probably just repeating what you already know) Maurice has a very similar problem, his middle spine is deformed....and on top of that the vertebrae that connects his spine to his pelvis is also deformed too.

He was also a little sod about taking his meds at first, to be fair at the time he was in a 20kg dose of metacam, 3ml of septrin, and then 4 segments of panacur (if you know what I mean) so it was a lot of meds. We managed to get him to eat them in toast....so maybe that could work?

Early afternoon yesterday I found Binky in pain and refusing food. I was just about to go to work and our vets would be shut by the time I got home so decided he needed to be seen by them rather than leave it to see if it was something that would pass in few hours.

He was showing obvious signs of pain on examination and was admitted to be given Tramadol and then assessed for how he went on afterwards, syringe feeding etc as necessary. He is happier today and eating on his own but they are monitoring him for another 24 hours to be sure (I suppose) that it's not just the Tramadol that's caused him to feel better.

Poor Binks, I felt heartbroken for him when I found him in pain, he's been so happy for the last couple of weeks.

Back