• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Binky ... emergency surgery ... He's gone. p128 PM results

All losses are so hard to come to terms with, but those that come completely out of the blue really can leave us in a state of total shock and disbelief. I still struggle to accept what happened to Sir Victor and I lost him over 3 years ago, on 11th June 2012.

I do hope that your remaining Rabbits will give you some degree of comfort and a feeling of purpose. I know all too well how sometimes it seems like crawling off into a corner and staying there would be very appealing. It is my 4 remaining Rabbits and their 100% dependence on me that forces me not to do it.

Thanks. I think the hardest thing for a while will be not believing every stasis episode ends in tragedy. I have up to now been quite calm if the blood glucose is less than 15, but I have no sense of reassurance anymore. It'll take time but I had no sense of foreboding whatsoever when I left Binky at the vets, never crossed my mind he wouldn't be home. Weirdly enough I believed losing Artie would be the hardest thing life would throw at me but knowing he was on borrowed time helped me prepare. I can totally empathise with what you say about Sir Victor.

Thanks. I think the hardest thing for a while will be not believing every stasis episode ends in tragedy. I have up to now been quite calm if the blood glucose is less than 15, but I have no sense of reassurance anymore. It'll take time but I had no sense of foreboding whatsoever when I left Binky at the vets, never crossed my mind he wouldn't be home. Weirdly enough I believed losing Artie would be the hardest thing life would throw at me but knowing he was on borrowed time helped me prepare. I can totally empathise with what you say about Sir Victor.

I know exactly what you mean. I always expected Scrappy to come home from the vets, so it was an awful shock when I got the phone call :( Even now I sometimes can't quite believe it. I knew she was poorly but she was still eating for herself (although not enough so needed topping up with CC) and pooing and I just thought it would be case of waiting for the antibiotics to kick in, get her fever under control and she would get better.

I know exactly what you mean. I always expected Scrappy to come home from the vets, so it was an awful shock when I got the phone call :( Even now I sometimes can't quite believe it. I knew she was poorly but she was still eating for herself (although not enough so needed topping up with CC) and pooing and I just thought it would be case of waiting for the antibiotics to kick in, get her fever under control and she would get better.

:( So much harder when it's a solo rabbit too. At least I have the distraction of tending to the others.

So, I was right after all. During surgery peritonitis wasn't evident, only on the PM. The pancreas also looked like the culprit on PM but didn't show any real evidence during surgery. Pancreatitis does in some species stop the stomach emptying. So, it's likely that the original symptoms were pancreatitis but this got worse and led to peritonitis and why he went downhill fast on Saturday. It's possible that he's had bouts of pancreatitis all the time I've had him as he's had previous stasis episodes where he's had a very full stomach with no real explanation, by some miracle previously it's corrected itself enough for him to function properly. So, like his brother with the dodgy liver it looks like he may have had a time bomb too.:(

So, I was right after all. During surgery peritonitis wasn't evident, only on the PM. The pancreas also looked like the culprit on PM but didn't show any real evidence during surgery. Pancreatitis does in some species stop the stomach emptying. So, it's likely that the original symptoms were pancreatitis but this got worse and led to peritonitis and why he went downhill fast on Saturday. It's possible that he's had bouts of pancreatitis all the time I've had him as he's had previous stasis episodes where he's had a very full stomach with no real explanation, by some miracle previously it's corrected itself enough for him to function properly. So, like his brother with the dodgy liver it looks like he may have had a time bomb too.:(

I'm glad you've got the details now, and can make sense of what might have happened with Binky. Painful though it is, I think it's good for closure.

Your little video of him is just gorgeous. Like J&B - I would love to see photos or videos of your other rabbits. You've looked after so many :)

I am so so sorry... Such awful news as I could tell how much he meant to you!

I know exactly how you must have felt throughout & sending you a huge hug! Xxx

I am so so sorry... Such awful news as I could tell how much he meant to you!

I know exactly how you must have felt throughout & sending you a huge hug! Xxx

Thanks. This thread must be incredibly hard for you to read just now. I hope so much the outcome is different for Harvey - he's so young and has been through so much already.

Thanks. This thread must be incredibly hard for you to read just now. I hope so much the outcome is different for Harvey - he's so young and has been through so much already.

Thank you so much. honestly reading through your thread I just couldn't stop crying. I honestly am so sorry, and binky free Binky xx

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Binky was very well loved and given the best care.

Sending strength to you x

Hi Bunny Buddy,

I've not been around here much this week due family and work. So I am really upset for you that Binky has gone to the bridge :cry:. I am so sorry, I really thought once he got through the surgery and he was passing some poops that he was turning the corner.

I also just wanted to say that I think you did the right thing allowing FHB to do a post mortem, if Binky can help any other bunnies from passing to the bridge due to this then that is a good thing.

I hope that you and Esme are both doing okay. :love: :love:

Back