• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Binky ... emergency surgery ... He's gone. p128 PM results

Thanks all. I left Binky at the surgery to give Frances chance to study his digestive system because if she gets some answers it may help other rabbits some day. It will be upsetting all over again when I go to collect him but you get a real understanding of the need to do this attending the lectures and seeing how she obtains all her knowledge.

I am so very sorry for your loss.RIP Binky. xxx
I had a Belgian Hare, Teak, whose gut stopped working. The vet said the nerves in his gut died. Like a motor neurone disease of the gut. He was having enemas and on 'Propulsid' for a while, but he got so ill. He was pts on 9/11. So, a terrible day all round.
So sorry.

Thanks all. I left Binky at the surgery to give Frances chance to study his digestive system because if she gets some answers it may help other rabbits some day. It will be upsetting all over again when I go to collect him but you get a real understanding of the need to do this attending the lectures and seeing how she obtains all her knowledge.

I find that agreeing to a full PM gives me the possibility of having some answers as to 'why' which can help in the process of trying to come to terms with the loss. Also it may provide valuable information for the Vets in the future and in turn this could help other Rabbits. I especially found this to be the case when I lost Sir Victor. His acute illness and symptoms were very unusual in presentation and his demise was rapid. Without a PM I would have always tortured myself about failing to notice something sooner. It turned out that he had a Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen and liver, he did not stand a chance :cry:

I really am sorry about Binky :cry:

Really really sorry to see your sad news.:cry: I know pts is not a nice experience. Very brave to decide a pm after your loss of Binky, and I hope it helps get some answers and knowledge needed. Hugs xxx

I find that agreeing to a full PM gives me the possibility of having some answers as to 'why' which can help in the process of trying to come to terms with the loss. Also it may provide valuable information for the Vets in the future and in turn this could help other Rabbits. I especially found this to be the case when I lost Sir Victor. His acute illness and symptoms were very unusual in presentation and his demise was rapid. Without a PM I would have always tortured myself about failing to notice something sooner. It turned out that he had a Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen and liver, he did not stand a chance :cry:

I really am sorry about Binky :cry:

I learnt the importance of the PM from you, my first post on RU (in fact I joined RU to post) was on a thread you did about the importance of post-mortems. So you can take some credit for my thinking to do this too.

Thanks again everybody. It's really nice to be amongst people who understand.

Really really sorry to see your sad news.:cry: I know pts is not a nice experience. Very brave to decide a pm after your loss of Binky, and I hope it helps get some answers and knowledge needed. Hugs xxx

Thanks. I actually feel such a debt of gratitude to Frances not only for the care of my rabbits but the whole study/education etc that she does, that I actually feel quite honoured to be able to do this. As she said, it will help give answers to me as well as her.

Peritonitis. It would seem most likely that he started with pancreatitis which led to peritonitis. Given that the pancreas is tied in with production of insulin then this may be why the blood glucose didn't rise when in theory you'd expect it given the stomach/intestine issues. Pancreatitis also can cause the stomach to stop emptying, which also fits. The peritonitis didn't happen until after his original surgery, presumably the pancreatitis hadn't reached the critical stage until later.

Pancreatitis is a recurring condition and he could well have been affected by it before, even 4.5 years ago.

FHB has just rung me with the findings.

Last edited:

I think it's very wise to try and find out some answers. It gives closure and peace of mind that you did all you could, and so did Frances. Thank goodness she is with you on this all along the way.

I'm so sorry it had to happen yesterday, but I suppose at least it meant you had some lovely people supporting you in person, in addition to all of us here :)

I think it's very wise to try and find out some answers. It gives closure and peace of mind that you did all you could, and so did Frances. Thank goodness she is with you on this all along the way.

I'm so sorry it had to happen yesterday, but I suppose at least it meant you had some lovely people supporting you in person, in addition to all of us here :)

Indeed. I was so sad to have had my emotional turmoil at the end of the day, hope it didn't change the atmosphere, as I wanted it to go well for them. I've been well supported and feel so lucky. FHB and NHB have been just amazing.

I didn't know anything about peritonitis, but I've just done some quick Googling. I hope you will be able to take some comfort in knowing what was wrong and that there really wasn't anything you could have done. I also agree it was brave of you to leave him with Frances - that must be very hard when you're in such an emotional situation.

Peritonitis. Given that the pancreas is tied in with production of insulin then this may be why the blood glucose didn't rise when in theory you'd expect it given the stomach/intestine issues.

It is a recurring condition and he could well have been affected by it before, even 4.5 years ago.

:cry:

(((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))) xx

Peritonitis. Given that the pancreas is tied in with production of insulin then this may be why the blood glucose didn't rise when in theory you'd expect it given the stomach/intestine issues.

It is a recurring condition and he could well have been affected by it before, even 4.5 years ago.

So sorry :cry: Poor little brave lad :love:

Sending you hugs BB and sorry I wasn't with you yesterday ...

Thank so much. I've been to collect him. I have such wonderful vets. They arranged for me to collect him off them on a Sunday just so I could have him back ASAP.

I lost my Barnaby to Peritonitis and now Theoden is showing the exact same symptoms as he did, I'm terrified to be honest.

I'm sorry you lost Binky xx

I don't know much about peritonitis and sadly I am guessing it doesn't show up on xrays. I am glad you have such support from FHB, although I know it is in the very sad circumstances of losing Binky.

Back