• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emergency Surgery

Unfortunately she didn’t make it. My heart aches so much. For me, for her and for Leafy. She was such a special little bunny, very shy when she first came to us but really started to grow in confidence, especially were treats were involved.

I don’t think I’ll ever feel okay again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m so very sorry:cry: you did everything you could for her. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

My heart breaks for you. It can be devastating to lose a special bunny. Give leafy some hugs for me.
You could not have done a better job giving your sweet girl care.

I am very very sorry that you lost beautiful Ivy. Draw comfort from the factyou did all you could for her as did your vet. I have been there, along with so many of us on the forum and understand your grief and how you feel . We all deal with loss differently but the pain is the same. Please allow yourself time to grieve and Leafy will also grieve so it's important to give Leafy extra attention and extra cuddles. We are here for you. Sending you loads of hugs. Binkey free beautiful Ivy. xx

I never imagined losing her could feel this painful…there’s a massive hole in my heart right now and I can’t stop thinking about her and about the idea that I’ll never be able to see her again.

Leafy seems to be okay. I’m not sure if he knows that she’s gone? I took her to the vet on Wednesday night and she has been gone since. Do you think he knows that she isn’t coming back?

I don’t know what to do from here going forward honestly. I know it’s not even been a full day yet but everything feels so hard.

I know this is super soon to be asking this as we only lost Ivy yesterday.

But I don’t know how to go forward with Leafy? Do I find him a new companion as soon as possible? Do I wait? Does he need time?

Unfortunately, I didn’t bring Ivy home yesterday for him to process her death. So I don’t really know if he knows what’s happened. He’s been relatively like his normal self, but occasionally I’ve noticed he looks into the dig box, which was favourite Ivy’s hiding place.

I really want what is best for him.

While no bunny will be able to replace Ivy, it is always nice to give a different bunny the chance to have a wonderful home.
It may take time to locate a good match for leafy. So you may want to start your search.
Leafy sounds like he realizes Ivy is missing, yet his acting normally is good.
Every bunny is different and you have time to make a decision.

Some bereaved Rabbits are very willing to accept a new friend straight away, others might take a little time. In 25 years I have only had 1 Rabbit who refused to accept another companion after her soulmate passed. I tried many times with many different Rabbits for well over a year. This situation is very rare though, in 99.9% of cases a bereaved Rabbit will be happier once they find the right new companion.

You will not be replacing Ivy, no Bunny can to that xx

Thank you.

This feels like one of the hardest things I’ve been through. I think because you can’t just let yourself become clouded in your own grief…you have to carry on for the remaining companion. I’m carrying the weight of my own feelings and guilt for her loss and empathising with Leafy and carrying guilt that he is without his soul mate. [emoji17]

They were love at first sight bunnies…they belonged by each other’s sides and now that’s not going to happen.

I am so very sorry you have lost Ivy. It takes a long time for the pain to get easier. Leafy should cope ok without Ivy until you find another Bunny friend. x

Back