• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emergency Surgery

I’m so very lost and confused.

I changed the room around and he started doing zoomies around the room. Then he stopped and took a step back.

I don’t know if I’m projecting my feelings on to him but it felt like he was waiting for Ivy to have her turn exploring/zooming.

Oh bless him, I agree it is very hard to watch when you are grieving yourself. He knows you are there and that will be a comfort to him xx

Thank you.

He has taken to hiding and being scared of me this afternoon…I know this is all part of the process so I don’t hold it against him. He will still come to me for food so I guess in a way it’s much like starting from scratch again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

This feels like one of the hardest things I’ve been through. I think because you can’t just let yourself become clouded in your own grief…you have to carry on for the remaining companion. I’m carrying the weight of my own feelings and guilt for her loss and empathising with Leafy and carrying guilt that he is without his soul mate. [emoji17]

They were love at first sight bunnies…they belonged by each other’s sides and now that’s not going to happen.

This is a perfectly normal way to feel following the events of the last week for you and Leafy. And you feel this way because you care and love. There is no quick fix for our feelings when we lose a loved pet - and as you rightly identify, it is the same for Leafy. The hardest part is always watching the solo bun because they are trying to process what has happened. Like us, bunnies take time to accept what has happened - its' called the Kubler ross model of grief.
As has been posted, a companion for Leafy is the most positive way forward but this is also a hard way for you to move on as well - and I speak from experience. So you are not alone in how you feel - most if not all of us on the forum have felt as you do and know how Leafy feels.
When you feel ready in your heart, then a rescue bunny would love to be given the second chance at life with the love and care you clearly have, and Leafy would also find it in his heart to have another bun friend to snuggle up with. And whilst it will never replace Ivy and that is only right, another bunny cen blossom from the warmth and love from you and Leafy.
Gentle hugs to you and nose rubs to Leafy. xx

This is a perfectly normal way to feel following the events of the last week for you and Leafy. And you feel this way because you care and love. There is no quick fix for our feelings when we lose a loved pet - and as you rightly identify, it is the same for Leafy. The hardest part is always watching the solo bun because they are trying to process what has happened. Like us, bunnies take time to accept what has happened - its' called the Kubler ross model of grief.
As has been posted, a companion for Leafy is the most positive way forward but this is also a hard way for you to move on as well - and I speak from experience. So you are not alone in how you feel - most if not all of us on the forum have felt as you do and know how Leafy feels.
When you feel ready in your heart, then a rescue bunny would love to be given the second chance at life with the love and care you clearly have, and Leafy would also find it in his heart to have another bun friend to snuggle up with. And whilst it will never replace Ivy and that is only right, another bunny cen blossom from the warmth and love from you and Leafy.
Gentle hugs to you and nose rubs to Leafy. xx

Thank you for writing this. It really means a lot to me. To us.

I have started emailing a few rescues and individuals I know whom foster regarding the situation and potentially finding Leafy a new companion.

No bun could ever replace Ivy. She was one of a kind. I do think that getting him a friend will help us both though. The feelings I have are too intense for me to process because I’m consumed by my feelings and what Leafy’s may be.

Even after finding Leafy a new friend, you may find yourself feeling guilty because you are not as enamored by the new bunny as you were for Ivy. While Ivy will always have a special place in your heart, the new bunny will eventually find her place too. Plus you will find comfort seeing Leafy zooming with her.

Even after finding Leafy a new friend, you may find yourself feeling guilty because you are not as enamored by the new bunny as you were for Ivy. While Ivy will always have a special place in your heart, the new bunny will eventually find her place too. Plus you will find comfort seeing Leafy zooming with her.

Thank you for this reassurance.

It’s something that has been worrying me as it feels like I’m just trying to find somebun to be a friend for Leafy, but not for me? Like I’m finding someone to fulfil a role.

I don’t want to bring a bun in and not love them…although something tells me that would be impossible as how could you not love an innocent creature in bed of a home!

Thank you for this reassurance.

It’s something that has been worrying me as it feels like I’m just trying to find somebun to be a friend for Leafy, but not for me? Like I’m finding someone to fulfil a role.

I don’t want to bring a bun in and not love them…although something tells me that would be impossible as how could you not love an innocent creature in bed of a home!
This is exacly how I feel about it and have never been able to put into words, thankyou :) And I think you do just fall in love with them once they're settled, maybe never as much as the first, and they might not love you back, but it's really rewarding. Barrie's still pretty scared of us sometimes but he's getting better. He's very confident with Chibbs and that was the important thing: that he was a good match for her. I think she'd've prefeerred someone more of a walkover like Lopsy but they get on really well (Chibbs isn't always the friendliest of buns to other buns :lol:)

This is exacly how I feel about it and have never been able to put into words, thankyou :) And I think you do just fall in love with them once they're settled, maybe never as much as the first, and they might not love you back, but it's really rewarding. Barrie's still pretty scared of us sometimes but he's getting better. He's very confident with Chibbs and that was the important thing: that he was a good match for her. I think she'd've prefeerred someone more of a walkover like Lopsy but they get on really well (Chibbs isn't always the friendliest of buns to other buns :lol:)

Ivy was quite a skittish little character. Very hands off and independent. Like Leafy is. Watching them zoom, binky and trust you enough to come up to you for the off chance you might give them a treat had me fall in love.

I have no idea what Leafy will be like with another rabbit but we’ll have to wait and see.

Back