• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Paralysis of the hind legs - inability to diagnose with photo (solved - Salmonella)

dewlap

New Kit
Hey,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post so please be kind with me.
I posted a similar post on another forum, but I would like to consult many sources.
Me and my brother have few rabbits (we would love to take them home as pets, but some people have a problem with it :evil:), but back to the point.

At the beginning of December 2022, one of the females (Female 1), about half a year old (from an unwanted incestuous relationship), started having problems with standing properly, i.e. her butt started to tilt to the right side and the right hind leg was tucked under her belly. As she was the fruit of incest and because of the above symptoms, we decided that she had to be euthanized.

Unfortunately, in mid-December, we noticed similar symptoms in the second female (Female 2) (one of our favorites), so we immediately took her to the vet who knows about small animals. She got vitamin B injections on her first visit, but they didn't help, so we went back the next day. The vet took her temperature, which was normal, and did blood tests that showed elevated glucose and a high leukocyte count (indicating inflammation despite the good temperature). The veterinarian decided that for 5 days she would receive strong antibiotics that overcome the blood-brain barrier. After 5 days of antibiotics, he did a poop test (without coccidiosis) and another blood test, which showed that the inflammation was still there (although smaller). She also got two injections for syphilis and fenbendazole (2,5 g per day for a month) for internal parasites and in particular for E. Cuniculi. The doctor also recommended exercises to stretch the hind legs and help with muscle wasting. For about a week and a half, we followed his instructions, but suddenly instead of hard and round boobs, there was a thin and very smelly poop. My brother and I washed her, dried her, and gave her activated charcoal. Despite these treatments, her hind legs showed no signs of improvement. The problem was also that she peed and pooped under herself, which made it necessary to wash her often. During this illness, she also did not want to eat much (especially fodder beets, which she always loved).
The whole situation and her condition made us decide to euthanize her.

As for the paresis of the limbs, both cases started with the rabbit tucking the rear right paw under her, which caused an imbalance and the left one remained functional at this stage. The Female 1 was immediately euthanized. In the Female 2, the right paw became inoperative at all and the left one was in a slightly better condition, but minimally (basically, it was also bad). There was also atrophy of the muscles of the hind legs through which the bones could be felt. Her personality hasn't changed. The head and neck twist characteristic of E. Cuniculi did not appear.
I will add that in the Female 2 we noticed not serious pododermatitis during the summer, which we treated with bismuth subgallate powder and ammoni bituminosulfonatis unguentum ointment. But on the occasion of this paresis, we checked if there were pododermatitis again and it turned out that they were. So maybe the disease was caused by them?
As for toxoplasmosis, I read that it is rare in rabbits. But I had an little enlightenment, i.e. my aunt once told me that the barn where we keep hay could have been entered by the neighbor's cat and cats are classic carriers of toxoplasmosis. Maybe they could have caught it from pigeons, ducks or chickens, which often like to enter the room where rabbits stay. I'm wondering, however, that during the 3 years of having rabbits, toxoplasmosis has only now appeared?

At the end of January the same thing started to happen with Female's 2 sister (Female 3). As soon as possible, we took her to the same vet. I asked to send her blood for E. Cuniculi for IgG and IgM antibodies. The results came out as follows: IgG >1:640 (norm <1:80) and IgM 1:640 (norm <1:80). In interpreting the result, written that these antibodies aren't 100% confirming for EC because healthy animals can also produce them. Our vet said it wasn't EC as there was no head tilt in any of the cases. He took a blood test for toxoplasmosis, but it came back negative. At that point, the diagnosis was that it was genetic because they were related. The poop under the microscope was clean. Interestingly, in her case, we gave her fenbendazole on fodder beetroot for about a week and although the paresis in her legs will not completely disappear, she is doing quite well so far. There's a problem with drinking and muscle wasting, but she eats, she's kept her personality, she's not dirty with urine and poo.

In the second week of February we noticed that our male unrelated to females (Male 1) started to limp on his front paw as if he was in pain. He also began to lose weight terribly and then paralysis set in. Unlike the females, he has completely changed his personality (he has always been very energetic, curious, runs for food, now he is apathetic, does not want to eat and drink much). Also, I don't think his front paws are OK either, because when he's lying down, they're at a weird angle to his body. He also had ulcerative keratitis, dry eye and runny nose for less than 2 months, but this was probably managed with the help of gentamicin eye drops and antibiotics. Blood tests showed that some of his blood cells were sort of destroyed (in spindle apparatus), similar to cancer. Which led to the assumption that this disease also resides in the bone marrow. The poop under the microscope was clean.

Female 2 and Female 3 blood test results and medicaments were as follows:
-Female 2: Total Protein 7,6 (5,5-7,2 g/dL); Globulin 3,9 (1,5-2,8 g/dL); ALP 27 (70-145 U/L); Bilirubin Total 0,23 (0,29-0,82 mg/dL), WBC 12,5 and 12,2 (6,3-10 10^3/mm3), RBC 4,92 (5,2-6,8 10^6/mm3); HGB 9,8 and 9,6 (11,5-15,1 g/dl); HCT 34,8 and 32,8 (36-47 %); MCH 18,8 (21,1-24,5 pg); MCHC 28,2 and 29,2 (29,5-33,9 g/dl); PLT 840 and 664 (250-610 10^3/mm3); LYM 2,5 (3,3-7 10^3/mm3); GRA 9,6 and 7,5 (1,6-3,7 10^3/mm3); Vitamins B1 and B12 1,1 ml; Dexarapid 0,5 ml; Loxicom 0,2 ml; Milgamma N 2 ml; Dexarapid 0,7 ml; Gentamycyn 0,5 ml, scanodyl 0,5 ml, fenbendazole 2,5 g.

-Female 3: Albumin 2,6 (2,7-4,6 g/dL); Globulin 4,1 (1,5-2,8 g/dL); AST 26 (42-98 U/L); ALP 36 (70-145 U/L); RBC 4,67 (5,2-6,8 10^6/mm3); MGB 8,7 (11,5-15,1 g/dL); HCT 31,1 (36-47 %); MCH 18,6 (21,1-24,5 pg); MCHC 27,9 (29,5-33,9 g/dl); PLT 705 (250-610 10^3/mm3); RDW 11,8 (12-14,5 %); LYM 2,9 (3,3-7 10^3/mm3); GRA 5,8 (1,6-3,7 10^3/mm3), fenbendazole 2,5 g.

However, despite searching the internet, visits to the vet and consultations with other doctors, we are not sure what they are suffering from. In addition to E. Cuniculi, I also thought about serious infection for which even antibiotics did not help, Hepatic Coccidiosis, Toxoplasmosis, Lyme disease, Botulism, something caught from rats and pigeons by e.g. lice, Listeriosis, Tularemia or unknown toxin (e.g. from dry fodder that we bought in November shortly before the appearance of these symptoms).
I would like to add that our rabbits are vaccinated against RHD and myxomatosis, we sometimes acidify the water against coccidiosis, they are externally dewormed, we clean the cages once a week using dry disinfection. Rabbits eat mainly hay, they get fodder beets, dry fodder, in spring and summer also green fodder and very rarely lettuce or cabbage and treats like fruits.

If anyone has had a similar experience or knows what it could be, please reply. We love these rabbits and don't want them to suffer and die, especially from something unknown.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Photo of Female 3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fC0LOLsOq96BPHHOYPnzlT300yqCy5_q/view?usp=share_link[

Last edited:
I think EC is the most likely cause. Head tilt does not have to be present, I have seen several cases with hind leg paresis as the only clinical symptom. This progressing to chronic renal failure

Pododermatitis is often a secondary symptom when hind leg paresis occurs

Given that EC is often contracted from Dam to Kits whilst the Kits are in the uterus this would explain the genetic link. It is also spread by spores excreted in an infected Rabbits urine. Cleaning of the environment must be done Daily not Weekly and every possible measure taken to avoid ingestion of urine contaminated hay etc.

Fenbendazole cannot cure EC, once clinical symptoms present they are usually permanent. All Fenbendazole can do is reduce the spores circulating in the blood stream to try to minimise further damage. Once EC is established in a colony it becomes endemic. There is some evidence that giving a 9 day prophylactic course of Fenbendazole 3-4 times a year can prevent an EC negative Rabbit being infected should they be in contact with an EC positive Rabbit.

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11334074/

Last edited:
I think EC is the most likely cause. Head tilt does not have to be present, I have seen several cases with hind leg paresis as the only clinical symptom. This progressing to chronic renal failure

Pododermatitis is often a secondary symptom when hind leg paresis occurs

Given that EC is often contracted from Dam to Kits whilst the Kits are in the uterus this would explain the genetic link. It is also spread by spores excreted in an infected Rabbits urine. Cleaning of the environment must be done Daily not Weekly and every possible measure taken to avoid ingestion of urine contaminated hay etc.

Fenbendazole cannot cure EC, once clinical symptoms present they are usually permanent. All Fenbendazole can do is reduce the spores circulating in the blood stream to try to minimise further damage. Once EC is established in a colony it becomes endemic. There is some evidence that giving a 9 day prophylactic course of Fenbendazole 3-4 times a year can prevent an EC negative Rabbit being infected should they be in contact with an EC positive Rabbit.

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11334074/

Thank you very much for your answer.
Today the vet checked Male 1's urine under a microscope and there were no spores in it. He has also received 4 doses of sulfonamide antibiotics so far.
Do you think I should still give him fenbendazole too?

Thank you very much for your answer.
Today the vet checked Male 1's urine under a microscope and there were no spores in it. He has also received 4 doses of sulfonamide antibiotics so far.
Do you think I should still give him fenbendazole too?

I am NOT Veterinary qualified and therefore I cannot advise you to administer any medication to your Rabbit. But if the Rabbit was mine I would give Fenbendazole at a dose rate of 20mg/kg for 4-6 weeks. I would, of course, discuss this with my own Vet first.

For the knowledge of future generations, the mystery was solved a week ago. During the autopsy Male 1, it was found that there were many small nodules (1-5 mm) on his organs, which indicated monstrous sepsis. At first glance, it looked like Yersinia pseudotuberculosis. But after taking samples to culture for several types of bacteria, it turned out that he had Pseudomonas aeruginosa in his lungs and Salmonella throughout his body. Then swabs were taken from a seemingly healthy rabbit and rooster, and Salmonella came out too. Antibiograms show neomycin is active on these bacteria.

Last edited:
'Maybe they could have caught it from pigeons, ducks or chickens, which often like to enter the room where rabbits stay'

Try to isolate any remaining rabbits from birds and other animals which can be a source of infection.

Back