• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Archie has bad gas. Not eating

Thanks everyone. I crawled into bed after he started munching only just woken up. Made my OH get up and monitor him. He's been munching quite a bit of hay and there's lots of poops now. Nice size, but he did one more mini splat of cecos. Yes he's had cisapride.

Thanks everyone. I crawled into bed after he started munching only just woken up. Made my OH get up and monitor him. He's been munching quite a bit of hay and there's lots of poops now. Nice size, but he did one more mini splat of cecos. Yes he's had cisapride.

Sounds as though he is on the mend now :)

I just can't work out why they've both had such a bad gas outbreak within a week. They've both been so well for years other than Pips teeth issue. I feel like I've done something wrong but don't know what

There seems to be quite a few bunnies on here just lately, who seem to have had the same issue. May be ingested fur ? I'm sure it's nothing you've done, maybe they don't tolerate it so well as they bet older. Hope he's back to normal soon x

They have been both moulting, but didn't see any furry poops come out. I wondered if the sudden heat hasn't helped Archie. I've given their water bowl and extra clean, just incase there was bacteria in there. Not sure if this could cause gas.
They are both sleeping on the stairs which is normal for them. Will tempt him with some food at 5.30 when they normally eat pellets.

I'm sorry Archie has been gassy and unwell. :( It's really good to hear that he's eating and pooping now. About them both having had gas within a week, could it maybe be that the stress of Pip being ill and how it possibly upset their routine made Archie ill? I've had that happen with bonded bunnies before. It probably isn't something you've done wrong. Sometimes bunnies just get sick despite your doing everything right, just like humans can get sick even though they live really healthily. I think the fact that this is the first time they've gotten sick in years means they're doing really, really well, rather than that you've done something wrong. Sending lots and lots of vibes for little Archie.

Thankyou. Yes they do definitely get affected when one is ill. Cos we change and fuss around them more. They had had gas and stasis before, but not for a long time. I guess sometimes they just get it like you say.

I am glad Archie is improving. Did they start a new bag/batch of pellets or hay, or richer greens this time of year?
Glad he passed a lot of material and is eating again. Sending vibes he is back to 100% and you can get some rest.

I am glad Archie is improving. Did they start a new bag/batch of pellets or hay, or richer greens this time of year?
Glad he passed a lot of material and is eating again. Sending vibes he is back to 100% and you can get some rest.
Pip was poorly 10 days ago. They had a new batch of hay that week. Which they weren't keen on. When Pip got poorly I ordered Timothy hay. Which they had since 25th May. So that is richer for Archie, but they have had Timothy recently.

Same box of pellets, although they have been on and new brand since January.

They don't get fresh greens, cos pip can't tolerate it. They get dried forage which was a new batch, but its from the same company they've had for years.

My buns always get ill at the same time.

SO glad Archie is improving xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back