• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Archie has bad gas. Not eating

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hello. It would appear Archie didn't want Pip to take all the limelight. He's had a gassy tummy since 10pm. He was still drinking and seemed perky so we left him until 3am then took him to ER vets.

He's had metacam and gut stimulants. He's normally eating by now, but he's still very gassy. I can hear it gurgling and he's very uncomfortable.

I don't know what to do. Partner has gone to bed, I'm meant to be up for work in 3 hrs.

I've tried gentle massaging but he doesn't like it.

Poor lad. Don’t do any more massage if it is very painful for him. You have not mentioned poo output ? Did the Vet do a blood glucose test ? We’re you advised to syringe feed him ?

Is he warm enough ? Despite atmospheric temperature poorly Rabbits can struggle to regulate their body temperature and can become hypothermic. Have a feel of his ears to make sure that they are not very cold to touch.

Were you given a supply of meds to continue to give him at home ?

Poor lad. Don’t do any more massage if it is very painful for him. You have not mentioned poo output ? Did the Vet do a blood glucose test ? We’re you advised to syringe feed him ?

Is he warm enough ? Despite atmospheric temperature poorly Rabbits can struggle to regulate their body temperature and can become hypothermic. Have a feel of his ears to make sure that they are not very cold to touch.

Were you given a supply of meds to continue to give him at home ?

Hi Jane

No poop, but he has done a few wees. I've managed to convince him to sit on a hot water bottle, he was getting a little cold.

Yes we have meds, but he's not meant to take anything until 11.

Phoned the ER vets and they said to give it more time and phone me vets if he's not better by the time they open. [emoji17]

Sorry forgot that bit. I dont know. They didn't let us go in. They didn't say they had.

OK, well keep him warm and give your own Vet a call as soon as they open. No poo is more concerning than no eating. I would want the Vet to be as certain as possible that there is no full obstruction. Is Archie moving about or is he very flat ?

OK, well keep him warm and give your own Vet a call as soon as they open. No poo is more concerning than no eating. I would want the Vet to be as certain as possible that there is no full obstruction. Is Archie moving about or is he very flat ?

Yes. I agree which is why I haven't syringe fed him. He's just moved away from the hot bot. He was lying along side it. I wouldn't say he was warm, but he's not cold either. He's belly pressing and moving position. Ears are up and alert. He's not flat.

Yes. I agree which is why I haven't syringe fed him. He's just moved away from the hot bot. He was lying along side it. I wouldn't say he was warm, but he's not cold either. He's belly pressing and moving position. Ears are up and alert. He's not flat.

Hopefully your own Vet will see him again this morning. He may need to be admitted for IVs.

We have 5 normal poops and a massive pile of mucus cecos. He's eaten a teeny piece of hay. I ended up sitting with him on the stairs and put my hand on him to warm him up. The gas gurgling has stopped, but he's not normal yet.

We have 5 normal poops and a massive pile of mucus cecos. He's eaten a teeny piece of hay. I ended up sitting with him on the stairs and put my hand on him to warm him up. The gas gurgling has stopped, but he's not normal yet.

Sounds as though he may have some cecal impaction. Is one of his meds cisapride ? This works far better than just Metoclopramide (Emeprid) as Cisapride works on the hind gut. Hopefully now things have started to pass through he will gradually feel better. Sending lots more vibes for him.

How is he doing now?

Barney came in the other night and he was grumpy, bloated, and really smelly! He was eating cabbage but didn’t see poops for a while. He lay down uncomfortably like his belly hurt, and growled when I tried to feel him. He was okay after, I think he farted all the gas out hence the smell!

Sorry, just saying this because maybe Archie will pass his through too like Barney.

Get well soon Archie xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back