• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis stress!! :( Day 5 - still no poops!

Thank you. I just can’t believe it. He was the most loving little boy 😞

I was really worried but I was also so hopeful after how he was literally up to that point. I NEVER thought he’d be gone by the end of the day. He was drinking lots, eating more, running around… I just don’t understand 😞 I do think it was bladder related as when he passed, a lot of thick chalky liquid came out straight after… but surely that would be picked up on the X-ray they did if it was sludge??

So I don’t know. I just feel numb and keep thinking of what else I could have done 😞

It could have been missed on the X-ray. If would depend on how dense the sludge was. You obviously did all you could. I suspect the problem was something that could not have been treated with medication alone, surgical intervention would probably have been needed and even that might not have changed the outcome in any way 😢

I really am so sorry 😢

I'm so very sorry. :cry: You did your very best and that's all any of us can do.

Sludge etc isn't likely to show up on an x-ray, only solid stuff like stones. I can't help but think that it was probably something bad with the gut itself.

I am so sorry you lost Sugar. Rabbits can hide their symptoms very well, so it is quite unexpected when they pass.
There is no way of knowing the cause without a post mortem, and even that may not give you an answer.
Like Inspector Morse said, it was likely something major.
Sending you hugs.

Thank you so much everyone. I still can’t believe he’s not here 😞

He was just absolutely fine this time last week, he was a house bun so was with me pretty much 24/7 😞 I wish I knew for sure what was wrong, but yes I don’t think any kind of treatment would have changed it.

When we lost Pearl last month she got a head tilt and was immediately treated for e cuniculi, and sadly just went downhill over two weeks. But with Sugar, just being so sudden and so severe and him still being young, then having no answers for why… it’s so tough to deal with :(

He was picked up today to get cremated. We’re going to bury half with Pearl in our garden, and put half into a plant pot and choose a nice plant to grow in the house ❤️

Back