• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apache is poorly :(

Thanks Jane :)

He's done around twenty tiny little poops since last night (like 4mm) which isn't ideal but better than nothing I guess:?

I've not seen him drinking, but Ive been syringing him critical care (on vet's recommendations) and I've been making it quite a wet mix usin warm water to try and keep him hydrated, does this sound ok?

Yes, as long as he is getting as much fluids as possible to try to rehydrate his gut contents. Is he hopping about ? Exercise will help improve his gut motility.
Did the Vet say what may have been the primary cause of his stasis ?

Yes, as long as he is getting as much fluids as possible to try to rehydrate his gut contents. Is he hopping about ? Exercise will help improve his gut motility.
Did the Vet say what may have been the primary cause of his stasis ?

It was all my fault and I feel terrible :( I dropped a mince pie on the floor, and in less than a second Apache grabbed it and took it under a low chest of drawers, by the time I'd dragged him out he'd eaten half of it :( :( :( I couldn't believe how quick and determined he was. :(

He's not moving much of his own accord but I've (gently!) encouraging him to hop about every so often, as much as I can without stressing him out.

PS he just did three normal poops :D

It was all my fault and I feel terrible :( I dropped a mince pie on the floor, and in less than a second Apache grabbed it and took it under a low chest of drawers, by the time I'd dragged him out he'd eaten half of it :( :( :( I couldn't believe how quick and determined he was. :(

He's not moving much of his own accord but I've (gently!) encouraging him to hop about every so often, as much as I can without stressing him out.

PS he just did three normal poops :D

I think most of us have had similar incidents !! Dont feel bad about it. It sounds as though he is slowly improving.

Ah thankyou :) I've given the rest of them away, I can't look at them now!

He does look better. It's nice to see him more like himself again :)

Ah thankyou :) I've given the rest of them away, I can't look at them now!

He does look better. It's nice to see him more like himself again :)

One of my first Rabbits got hold of a bread roll and ate the lot. She spent 4 days in Hospital with bloat. I felt so guilty as she really was desperately ill. Thankfully she pulled through.

Oh crikey! I've had them eat some ridiculous things but luckily with no ill effects until now. Sorrel once stole a toy animal stuffed with lentils and ate almost all of it :roll:

Glad to hear Apache is improving. Bunnies have a habit of pinching food which is not meant for them.....Delilah my conti x ran off with a naan bread......fortunately I managed to prize it from her huge mouth before she devoured the whole thing!!!!

Glad to hear he is improving :thumb: I agree about rabbits pinching things they shouldn't, Boots ate half a fruit tea bag last week :shock:

Sorry that Apache has been unwell. A mincepie :shock: I have read the terrible foods bunnies have eaten on RU like take aways, pizza, crisps, cough drops and a whole bar of pork scratchings in chocolate. All were fine. Hope Apache is back to his normal self soon.

Thakns Lisa :)

I'm really not coping with this very well. :oops: I think I expected him to improve quicker. He's definitely improving, but so slowly it's agonising, and sometimes he looks so tired and sad :( It occurred to me that I've not really dealt with stasis myself before, he's had it twice, but once he was fully hospitalised for three days so the vets did all the work, and the other time I was away so my boarding lady dealt with it.

Wish I could stop stressing as I'm sure he'll pick up on it. I have big exams next week too.

3 new poops :D Sorry guys but you're going to get a poop by poop account of the whole thing because it's the only way I can cope.

Got 40mls of fluid down him just now. Going to try to do some revision before my next freakout occurs :roll:

So it's 3am :lol:

I got up to syringe him some fluids...I was getting seriously worried last night and thinking about having to take him to the emergency vet today which I don't want to do because my vet contract out their emergency cover to a totally different company :?

But he seems a lot brighter and just fouht Skye for some veg and done quite a lot of poops...so hopefully he's turnin the corner now...?

Anyway I must get back to my bed in the rabbit pen :roll:

It sounds as though he is recovering. It can take a few days for things to return to normal after gut stasis/dysbiosis. I would avoid feeding him anything like carrots or fruit or any 'treats' that contain starch/sugar as they would set him back. Lots and lots of hay and plenty of water is what he needs. If you can access any bramble leaves, dry or fresh, then they could be beneficial too.

Ta Jane :)

There is a patch at work where I think I can find bramble leave and maybe some other dry leafy bits. :) I'll go and have a look later.

I think he know what he needs to eat because I gave Skye her pellets earlier, he ran up but wouldn't touch them, and went back to his hay and parsley. :love:

Glad to read your precious boy is recovering ... who'd have believed it though - a BARC bunny snaffling a mince pie? :shock:

Back