• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bald mouth?

fenchurch

Warren Scout
My bunny is booked in to see the vet thursday but I thought I'd ask anyway in case anyone has ANY idea.

basiclly he has lost the fur around his mouth, its very weird looking.

Skin is healthy looking and not tender. I'm pretty sure its not overgrooming as its too even.

Aside from that he's perfectly healthy, although he has had some slight teeth problems in the past.

I'm completely bewildered.

How odd, are you able to take a photo to show us? Is there any crusting or redness or has it literally just gone bald?

Could he be dribbling, one of ours with tooth problems, when his teeth started to get bad dribbled then pulled the fur out around his mouth and chin

No camera sorrry. Theres no crustiness or anything. he's just.... bald :shock: The bald area is around 1.5cm surrounding his mouth. Its not very appealing. I'll try and get a camera off my brother. You can now see it from accross the room :(

Bramblespack I did worry about the teeth but he's eating fine. I assumed that if the teeth got bad enough to cause dribbling he'd have trouble eating? Also I've been checking his mouth regularly. Its been pretty consistantly dry. I can't check his teeth myself as its his molars which are dodgy.

He does seem to lick his lips a lot but I don't know if that has only started since he's lost the hair - and I've developed the obsessive interest with his mouth. :roll: :roll:

Is it bald all round, like between his nose and mouth, or just literally around his mouth?

(I still don't know the answer, I'm just hoping that the more detail we have, the more likely it is that someone can suggest something :? )

OK I have just gone and stared at his mouth some more.

The nose has hair. Under the nose there is no hair. It looks like its also thinning a little on the side of the nose. the side of his mouth is bald, 1com-1.5cm on either side and under his mouth is bald too. Its even all round. There is a very little hair in the bald spot as it feels slightly bristly but I only see a few TINY TINY hairs.

The edges are not sharp but look like the bald patch is spreading. It started small and spread from the lips out.

Sorry about the lack of pictures

Hmmm I would tend to agree with Bramblespack, it sounds like he has been dribbling and licking it to clear the dribble, and has just got into the habit of licking all the way round. I'd say it's worth popping him up the vets to check his teeth - some bunnies dribble as an early sign before there are any changes in his eating habits :?

He's booked in to get his teeth checked thursday, they can't do it any earlier unless he actually has trouble eating. I was hoping there was another explanation, poor bun but its the only thing I can think of either. He had them checked a few months ago and wasn't due for a checkup til September. :( H's only seven months old and has been only only hay and veg for for the past two months.

Right. No more lops. :?

Back