• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help

roush313

New Kit
I have had a cottontail for about 4 months now, and has been a rollercoaster ride to say the least.. she has gotten these weird owies on her whicj sometimes look like giant cuts and it's horrible.. have t had one of those for a while however... about a month ago, she had a giant hole in her elbow area that came out of nowhere.. it healed over, bit there was a hard lump in that same area.... which she is protective of it... in the last few days, that hard lump seemed to disappear, bit that area is now swelling and turning red, and and growing it seems... it's very tender to the touch, and she hasn't been hopping around as much, or eating as much... I did trim some of her fur to see how far or large this is... tell me this is something that will go away on its own, and she is gonna be okay. I'm so worried, PLEASE HELP

Is there a reason why you are keeping a Cotton Tail as a pet ? Why was she removed from the wild?

She needs to be taken to a Vet. It’s impossible for us to tell you she’ll be OK because she needs to be thoroughly examined. The symptoms you describe could be indicative of spontaneous abscesses due to a chronic Pasteurella infection. Or possibly Fibromatosis. The only useful advice we can give you is to take the Rabbit to a Vet who will examine her, run any diagnostics deemed to be necessary and provide appropriate treatment.

Agree with the above. If she's already had this problem once and now it's come back, your rabbit needs veterinary attention, especially if she isn't eating as much as this can quickly lead a rabbit to deteriorate. She needs to see a vet urgently.

Back