• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Food stuck in mouth?

Jesselle

Mama Doe
What a day... First I had to give a small bum clean to Susie as she over indulged on lavender (new to them) in the garden. She was very good though but wasn't pleased. Poops are now back to normal and she's chomping on hay only for now.

And now. Well, I was feeding fibafirst sticks to the buns and Neville had his. Susie was trying to pinch it and he perhaps ate his a little too fast. All of a sudden he was frantically licking and sticking his tongue out and trying to use his paws to wash/stop irritation.

He wasn't choking (thank god!) but it did look quite irritating for him. I tried to inspect his mouth but couldn't see much, tried syringing a little water and to have a little poke about and then fed a few pellets etc to see if that helped.

He's intermittently licking and sticking tongue out as if something is really bothering him. He'll look fine but then go back to the licking and pawing.

It's been about 45 mins since it happened.

What on earth do I do?!

If it looks like something is bothering him I would ring the emergency vets and ask their advice, and then probably pop him in for a checkup tonight if they recommend it. If something is bothering him he's likely to be in discomfort or pain, and if so he needs veterinary advice and attention.

Thanks both.

He looks to be breathing ok. He's run over for a pellet and is now laying with Susie.

I haven't seen him licking but if it carries on I was thinking vet as perhaps they can dislodge whatever is bothering him.

He might have bitten his tongue in his haste to stop Susie pinching his food. I'd keep a close eye on his eating and if he appears to still be having problems in the morning I'd get the Vet to take a look at him.

Thanks both.

He looks to be breathing ok. He's run over for a pellet and is now laying with Susie.

I haven't seen him licking but if it carries on I was thinking vet as perhaps they can dislodge whatever is bothering him.

It could be something as simple as a little sharp bit of hay from the fibafirst is stuck and irritating him, or he could have just scratched himself in the moment. Either way it's best to be sure I think, and if something is stuck in there it's best to get it out asap. Fingers crossed it's something simple and minor!

He might have bitten his tongue in his haste to stop Susie pinching his food. I'd keep a close eye on his eating and if he appears to still be having problems in the morning I'd get the Vet to take a look at him.

I'm at work tomorrow so I can't really get to a vet until tomorrow evening. Just keeping an eye on him for the next 30 mins before making a decision.

He's hopped into the tray for hay, but before that was fussing a bit.

He'll lay dozing without fussing but will fuss when he gets up.

I've found that buns can exhibit that behaviour, and paw at their mouth, when they've something stuck in their teeth.

How are his molars? Not something a vet would be able to get a clear look at, but if he keeps doing that fussing then perhaps get a good vet to have as good as look as possible inside his mouth.

Good vibes for no more problems :D

Both buns haven't been at the point of needing a dental but vets have said they need to keep chomping on hay to keep things in check. His teeth were last checked a few wks ago.

He's never shown anything like that before and it happened after a few bites of the fibafirst.

He's eating away right now in the hay tray... So right now he's not prevented from eating.

Will keep an eye and decide whether to go to the emergency vet. If I don't, I'll make an appt in the morning for after work I think, just to check nothing nasty is stuck.

I have a dental bun every 5-6 weeks and when her teeth are starting to play her up she will fuss after food, licking and often poking her tongue out as if to move her tongue away from the teeth.

Hopefully that's not the case for your bunny but thought I would let you know mine does this xx

I have a dental bun every 5-6 weeks and when her teeth are starting to play her up she will fuss after food, licking and often poking her tongue out as if to move her tongue away from the teeth.

Hopefully that's not the case for your bunny but thought I would let you know mine does this xx

I know it's off-topic, but Kim I love your avatar! And with my failing eyesight, it looks like your very sweet rabbit is actually sporting a top hat :lol:

Have you checked between the front teeth? Scamp did that when he got a bit of rug stuck between them. Luckily he's pretty good at sitting still and having me pry things out of his mouth.

Have you checked between the front teeth? Scamp did that when he got a bit of rug stuck between them. Luckily he's pretty good at sitting still and having me pry things out of his mouth.

Yeah I got a good look at his incisors. Nothing!

No licking or pawing this morning - he seems to be back to normal.

Glad to hear Neville is ok today. It was probably just one of those things. I had a rabbit right where I'm sitting the other evening, he kept pawing at his mouth then putting his head in the air. I was debating whether to have a look but he stopped doing it after a while, phew!

I know it's off-topic, but Kim I love your avatar! And with my failing eyesight, it looks like your very sweet rabbit is actually sporting a top hat :lol:

Lol I didn't even notice but you're right! She's looks jazzy ;)

So glad to here to your bun is feeling better today xx

Back